Minimalism when packing for a cruise

• 4 weeks later...

Who is looking and/or caring? Wear what You want, seriously no one else even notices, they are too busy enjoying their holiday. I found it a challenge on a 54 night cruise followed by 10 days in England and 3 in Singapore, cold and hot clothing, still found I had packed stuff I only wore once or not at all.

As I get older and have to manage my own luggage I find I am starting to pack more lightly. This was after finding no lifts at Genoa train station, bag too unwieldy to get down stone stairs, so,let it find its own way down the steps! Oops.

• Haha 1

Clothes that I wear to dinner are hung back up and worn again.

Same! But I won't wear the same thing to dinner again, it'll be daytime wear the next day. I bring fairly plain dresses that can be dressed up or down. I'll wear a dress with heels and statement jewelry to dinner, then the next day with flip flops and no jewelry the same thing works as a sundress or swimsuit cover. After a day in the sun, that dress goes into dirty laundry and I shower and start the process over again with a clean dress/heels/statement jewelry.

• Like 1

I'm packing for next Sundays Breakaway cruise from NYC to Nassau and back and got everything in a 26 inch hard side rolling suitcase and a rolling backpack (pulse the purse, you know). Used the packing cubes and cut down on stuff, a lot. Wonder what everything will look like Friday am when I leave the house for NYC?

• 1 month later...
I enjoy the 'proud' light packers. Pack light if you want and less clothes and more money works but.... Some of us like having choices for clothes and jewelry I won't were ugly just cause it's easy and I won't give up make up even though I don't need it and husband doesn't mind. I style my hair - enjoy dressing up and have fun doing it.

Travel in one bag if you like -- I'll take more thanks - I you can usually spot the 'one baggers' by their shoes and outfits LOL

Don't make assumptions about people based on their outfits and shoes. Some people including me have a hard time finding dressy shoes that are comfortable for more than 2 minutes! I may end up wearing some well loved slip on sandals even in the evening. I may wear a top several times in a week. As long as clothes are neutral and clean I don't make note of what others are wearing. I used to purchase new clothing for every trip. Now I don't buy new unless I need to replace something. You might find that Ugly, but really people only have to please themselves. Do as you please and I will also.

• 4 months later...

I have a few hints about packing light- my routine:

1- take everything you could possibly want to pack

2- little by little take out the things you change your mind on taking

3- pull everything left in suitcase out and put on your bed

4- divide into outfits, see what matches what

5- decide on colors, usually after seeing what matches what, you will find a few things that only match 1 item- leave those home, only take things that can multi-task.- if you find you have 2 pairs of jean shorts, leave one home- only one of any item- no multiples of anything

6- once you have reduced and paired things up, you are ready to finally pack!

You will see after this procedure that you do not over pack, - I also only pack minimal makeup because usually find that I only wear it in the evenings.

One question for all- this is my first trip using the packing cubes- How should i be using? How do I make the most out of using them?

Edited by everylastbreath
Add question

• 2 weeks later...

Our challenge is that we only take what we can each physically handle. When we do a cruise it is always part of a longer trip that invariable includes trains, rental cars, ferries, and sometimes carry our bags up a flight of stairs.

We cannot each handle anything more than a 21 inch carry on. It might be different if we were going from home to airport to ship. But that never happens for us. So we have just adapted to this mode of travel and it works for us. It clearly is not for everyone. It was a challenge getting to this point but we find that we enjoy travel much more when we have fewer bags to lug about.

Our challenge is that we only take what we can each physically handle. When we do a cruise it is always part of a longer trip that invariable includes trains, rental cars, ferries, and sometimes carry our bags up a flight of stairs.

We cannot each handle anything more than a 21 inch carry on. It might be different if we were going from home to airport to ship. But that never happens for us. So we have just adapted to this mode of travel and it works for us. It clearly is not for everyone. It was a challenge getting to this point but we find that we enjoy travel much more when we have fewer bags to lug about.

Ever since I let my over packed bag find its own way down the stone steps at Genoa rail station, no lift, I have been much more careful of how much I take.

OK I threw it down the steps in frustration as it was too awkward, heavy for me to manage.

1 wheelie case and a backpack now. Much better.

• 1 month later...

How do you pack for a 38 day cruise? We will be going thru several climates, some shore excursions where it is 50 degrees with major wind. 1 person suggested 2 shirts/blouses for every pair of pants. But how many pants would youtake - do plan on hand washing, but preferablynot daily - any ideas

• 2 weeks later...
How do you pack for a 38 day cruise? We will be going thru several climates, some shore excursions where it is 50 degrees with major wind. 1 person suggested 2 shirts/blouses for every pair of pants. But how many pants would youtake - do plan on hand washing, but preferablynot daily - any ideas

sho-me, I can't speak about packing for a 38 day cruise, since I'm still a working gal and don't have that much time off at one time--Yet!--but I can give you a tip on what worked for me on our Alaska cruise for different temps. Good for both rain and cold, I packed a lined, hooded raincoat and a pair of $1.00 knit gloves (the one-size-fits-all kind) in the pockets. If you must have access to a fingertip or thumb, just slit the tips and the glove fingers will shrink down to about the first knuckle. I took several scarves to dress up my day and evening tops and bottoms and they provided neck warmth on glacier-viewing days. I layered a fleece zip-vest under the raincoat when necessary. I didn't take any other extra fleece or warmer layers other than a pair of leggings to wear under my bottoms because I found my fleece vest would fold down to gallon zip-lock bag size; with the air squeezed out, it was very packable-friendly. Your mileage may vary, but since Missouri's weather is similar to Kentucky's, I'll say that's what I would pack again. It worked marvelously for me. I can't remember now if they were black or chocolate, but I took one pair of dress pants and wore them only to dinner with different tops. I wore a pair and took a pair of jeans, both with lots of stretch to layer leggings under if necessary, and one pair of navy Columbia quick-dry pants that were sink-washed several times. Jeans are unmemorable and so were those navy pants. IF I were going for 38 days, I'd like to think that I'd pack for that same Alaska cruise and send out laundry as necessary, wearing those leggings and a tunic on laundry day. One carry-on sized rolling suitcase and one back-pack or tote for personals is all I can manage by myself and DH can't be pack-mule for me. He takes care of his own luggage and the c-pap makes a third bag for him to wrestle even if it is small. Because his pacemaker causes him to be wanded through, I wind up with everything that goes through the scanner at security. I can't manage more than bare minimum and wouldn't want to if I could.

Good luck. Let us know how you manage.

sho-me, I can't speak about packing for a 38 day cruise, since I'm still a working gal and don't have that much time off at one time--Yet!--but I can give you a tip on what worked for me on our Alaska cruise for different temps. Good for both rain and cold, I packed a lined, hooded raincoat and a pair of $1.00 knit gloves (the one-size-fits-all kind) in the pockets. If you must have access to a fingertip or thumb, just slit the tips and the glove fingers will shrink down to about the first knuckle. I took several scarves to dress up my day and evening tops and bottoms and they provided neck warmth on glacier-viewing days. I layered a fleece zip-vest under the raincoat when necessary. I didn't take any other extra fleece or warmer layers other than a pair of leggings to wear under my bottoms because I found my fleece vest would fold down to gallon zip-lock bag size; with the air squeezed out, it was very packable-friendly. Your mileage may vary, but since Missouri's weather is similar to Kentucky's, I'll say that's what I would pack again. It worked marvelously for me. I can't remember now if they were black or chocolate, but I took one pair of dress pants and wore them only to dinner with different tops. I wore a pair and took a pair of jeans, both with lots of stretch to layer leggings under if necessary, and one pair of navy Columbia quick-dry pants that were sink-washed several times. Jeans are unmemorable and so were those navy pants. IF I were going for 38 days, I'd like to think that I'd pack for that same Alaska cruise and send out laundry as necessary, wearing those leggings and a tunic on laundry day. One carry-on sized rolling suitcase and one back-pack or tote for personals is all I can manage by myself and DH can't be pack-mule for me. He takes care of his own luggage and the c-pap makes a third bag for him to wrestle even if it is small. Because his pacemaker causes him to be wanded through, I wind up with everything that goes through the scanner at security. I can't manage more than bare minimum and wouldn't want to if I could.

Good luck. Let us know how you manage.

Thanks for all the info - 38 days and 3 different weather ranges plus high humidity in the Amazo - going to be fun seeing if we get it right:)

I purchase multiple cheap contact lens cases that are smooth on the insides. My face cleanser, moisturizers, toothpaste, and liquid make ups go in the compartments. That save so much space in the bathroom bag. Then though I swore I would never waste my money but Amazon had a sale on the packing bags/cubes. Rolling swimsuits, pants, pjs tight and putting them in the bags also saved lots of room as well as made packing a lot more efficient. And my last smart purchase were small garment bags especially for shirts that have a folding guide. I have been able to cut down to medium roller suitcase, shoulder travel bag and purse for a 12 day land cruise trip.. If only I could figure out how to cut back on shoes.... https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M7Y206T/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• 3 months later...

We don't want to spend money on stuff like packing cubes, so I saved all those heavy plastic zipper containers that curtains and blankets came in. They're great for all the small stuff like toiletries, OTC meds, and underwear. Everything stacks up neatly in the suitcase and stays put on shelves and in drawers.

• 2 weeks later...

A good tip for shoes: we save the newspaper bags and use them for shoe bags. (Here in the Pacific Northwest our newspapers are almost always delivered in bags to keep them dry.) I pack a couple extra in case one gets ripped. Also I pack socks inside of shoes to save space.

I have a packing list that I update after every trip. I have various spreadsheets depending on if the trip is a cruise, overnight, or road trip.

I also make a spreadsheet for clothes to plan on what to wear each day, to coordinate outfits. I don’t necessarily use the spreadsheet, but it helps to see what I have.

I usually start laying out my clothes a week ahead of time, and then start the gleaning process.

I love packing cubes! So easy to pull them out of the suitcase and put in the drawer. Also if you ever have your suitcase opened by TSA, your stuff won’t be in a jumble.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the packing cubes, but a got the tip on here years ago and went back to the zip lock bags. I can get the 3-gal size at the dollar store. I have the tiny ones for my pills and mark them for AM and PM, then I put the tiny baggies into a large sandwich size bag. I always carry a couple of extra days just in case. I also put band-aids, Neosporin, Advil, etc. in a sandwich baggie. I don't use pj's on the cruise. I carry some thin cotton or silk gym shorts and t's that can be comfy to sleep in and can go outside on the deck if need be. I pack this type of things in the baggies and squish out the air. I use the itinerary for my calendar. I look at a day at sea and I put a swimsuit, cover-up, pair of shorts and t'shirt for that day, along with a pair of black capri's and a top for evening. The next sea day, I mark off the swimsuit, cover-up and shorts and add another t-shirt because the items marked off do double duty. The black capri's will get marked off for dinner on another night because they'll do double duty. For the formal nights, I carry a pair of black dressy pants and I carry two different tops (lacey one and a sparkly one) and mark the slacks off on the 2nd formal night on the itinerary. I carry plenty of undies, but I wash out my bras and can do the trip with 3. Two that are beige and one that is black. I carry a pair of flats that can double on the casual nights and are fine on formal night. I broke my ankle several years ago and don't do heels because there are too many places to slip and fall on a ship. On the plane, I wear a lightweight sweater and carry a pashmina because the plane can be so chilly. I also wear my walking shoes on the plane because they take up the most space and are the heavy ones. The sweater and the pashmina will be used at night because the dining room and rooms for the shows are chilly. I carry a pair of flip flops to wear around in the cabin, to the pool and on the beaches. I have a pair of walking shoes for shore excursions. Shoes go in the large zip locks. When something is worn/dirty, I put it in a large zip lock with a big X on it to indicate it's dirty. If I've worn something for the last time on the cruise, it goes into the bags with the X and they are tossed into the suitcase. This way, my dirty clothes aren't touching my clean clothes and these are tossed into the suitcase. By the end of the cruise, by doing this, most of my packing to go home is already done at the end of the cruise. I carry shorts and capris. Almost everything can be worn more than once and most of my tops are the ones that dry quickly if I need to wash them out in the cabin. I have a tiny travel hair dryer that I take for convenience. I pack my moisturizer and my sunscreen in the little round travel containers I got at TJ Maxx and I love them because they don't ever leak. I carry one of those collapsing cardboard "boxes" from the dollar store. When I unpack I put the "box" out with all my things needed to get ready (hairdryer, make-up bag, etc.). It keeps everything neat in the cabin and doesn't take up space or weight in the suitcase. I take extra baggies of all sizes with me. When I get to the cabin, I put my car keys, extra credit card for an emergency, cash, passport, etc., into a baggie in the safe. That way, nothing is loose in the safe and left behind. I can grab it and go at the end of the cruise and I know I have everything in one place. I put my phone charger, etc. into a baggie. I don't carry over the door organizers or most of the other items listed. I have a silk bag that zips up into a tiny pouch. When it's unzipped it serves as a great bag to take when shopping on shore or at the beach (a beach towel easily fits into it along with my sunscreen and a wallet) or the pool. Takes up no space in the suitcase. I carry a magnetic hook that will stick to the wall of the cabin. I have a lanyard that has my seapass in it along with emergency cash. I hang it on the cabin wall when I come in and I know where it's at to grab when I leave the cabin.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been travelling with carry on only for some years. But with aging shoulders, weight of these are starting to get to be a problem.

This thread discusses loads of great tips on 'compact' travel, but all the travel cubes, zip locks and compression bags in the world, doesn't reduce the actual weight of the contents - just the size of it. So as airlines start to put actual weight limits on carry on - and several do - it makes it more complicated to travel without checking bags or incurring luggage costs. I opt for lighter weight clothing, merino wool layers and fewer shoe options. Still working on the perfect weight luggage.

• 2 months later...

One thing that I do is travel/board in a sport coat, my heaviest trousers, and bulkiest shoes. Then they don't take up room in luggage and my sport coat isn't wrinkled. We still use a garment bag because we like to derss for formal night. We are able to get by with a carry on, larger bag, and garment bag with tux and a dress or two. When we get tired of formal night, we'll be down to two bags.

I also use Adidas Climalite for underwear on trips. I wash it in the shower and it dries dries overnight. I can get by with four pair for a week and only wash it out a time or two.

We drive, so luggage really isn't an issue except for when we self-assist on disembarkation.

We stopped attending formal nights about 10 years ago. It was DW's suggestion, mid cruise, that we skip it. Ever since then we have gone casual. Which means we eat in alternate dining venues.

The easiest way that we found to switch to carry on, if this is your goal, was to simply buy a small carry on roller and limit ourselves to that. It was a challenge at first but now we would not travel any other way. Does not matter to us about seasons.

We typically combine cruises with a much longer stretch of independent land travel. Moving to carry on has made our travel much more enjoyable and more flexible.

• 1 month later...

The trick is to pack for 3-4 days, and re-wear everything. That covers you for a week. For any longer trips, you can do laundry.

My wife and I travel indefinitely with our two kids (11 and 4) in a total of three carry-on sized suitcases. It's so easy when we have to move from place to place on non-cruise vacations, and it's easy to board and disembark the cruise ship with our own bags. There's no counting on the porters to get the bags aboard (or tipping them for moving the bags3 feet from the car to the luggage cart) or waiting in lines or searching for our bags when we disembark. To be fair, the laundry perk for Platinum cruisers on Carnival helps, and we travel home from cruises with suitcases full of clean clothes.

We learned "one bag" travel when there was a threatened baggage handler strike when we honeymooned in the UK in 2002. Now we can travel indefinitely in carry-ons. If you can't tell I'm definitely a one-bag evangelist. :D

• Like 1