Newport RI Trolley Tours

leetompkins

We will be in Newport RI port of call during our Regal Princess Cruise in September. What recommendations do you all have while there regarding trolley tours? We would like to get a feel for the area while in port, especially the famous mansions. Also, can you all provide a any suggestions on good restaurants? Thanks.

When we went we took the local bus up to the head of the Cliff Walk and then walked along them on our own, then down a couple streets in front and got back on the bus and wandered around the marina area. I don't recall hearing or seeing any trolley tours. There were tours that took you into a couple of the mansions but most did not allow pics...

I'm from RI and just about never go to Newport, so I don't know of any good restaurants. But I do recommend having our "real" lobsters. Not at all like the southern version of lobster. If you want the real New England dinner than get a Lobster & Steamer (Clams) combo.

When we went we took the local bus up to the head of the Cliff Walk and then walked along them on our own, then down a couple streets in front and got back on the bus and wandered around the marina area. I don't recall hearing or seeing any trolley tours. There were tours that took you into a couple of the mansions but most did not allow pics...
For those who don't know. The cliff walk is a walkway between the Ocean cliff and the Mansions. The Breakers is the mansion that was shown from the water on the old wacko soap opera "Dark Shadows" of the late 1960s.