What's the best helicopter ride?

Mallefiscent

It will help to know where you plan on cruising as many ports offer helicopter rides. Just to let you know, last year during our cruise, the helicopters were grounded due to the weather the morning we were in Skagway.

Don

It will help to know where you plan on cruising as many ports offer helicopter rides. Just to let you know, last year during our cruise, the helicopters were grounded due to the weather the morning we were in Skagway.

Don

Did they refund your money?

My son is going to Embry Riddle to become a helicopter pilot. Our family reunion trip in 2020 will be an Alaskan cruise, and I thought he would enjoy doing a shore excursion that involved taking a helicopter somewhere. Which one would you guys recommend?

If you want the best, hold off until you someday get to Hawaii and do your helicopter ride along the NaPali Coast of Kauai.IMG_7348.jpg.2e295f8fd89bf54821ae2ded647c6673.jpg

For Alaska, do a float plane and make sure it's a classic "dehaviland beaver."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

IMG_7346.thumb.jpg.55e8dcb1dad9a350d85056e72779da13.jpg

Did they refund your money?

We did not have a helicopter tour booked. I just saw all of them parked in a row at the airport as our tour bus drove by. I’m sure any of them booked through the cruise line would have been refunded.

Don

If you want the best, hold off until you someday get to Hawaii and do your helicopter ride along the NaPali Coast of Kauai.[ATTACH]414503[/ATTACH][ATTACH]414504[/ATTACH]

For Alaska, do a float plane and make sure it's a classic "dehaviland beaver."

Those are beautiful. Maybe we should do Hawaii instead of Alaska. ;)

My son is going to Embry Riddle to become a helicopter pilot. Our family reunion trip in 2020 will be an Alaskan cruise, and I thought he would enjoy doing a shore excursion that involved taking a helicopter somewhere. Which one would you guys recommend?

Bobs. They were awesome.

Mendenhall Glacier Walk in Juneau via helicopter was a good excursion for me:

P7070075.jpg

Dog sledding in Skagway was my favorite helicopter excursion:

P5120078-1.jpg

The last time we took an Alaskan cruise, we did the Ididaride dog sledding in Seward. Is it better to do it on a glacier? I have been going back and forth between returning to the one we enjoyed before and trying it on the glacier.

The last time we took an Alaskan cruise, we did the Ididaride dog sledding in Seward. Is it better to do it on a glacier? I have been going back and forth between returning to the one we enjoyed before and trying it on the glacier.

Nothing beats a dog sled ride in the snow.

P5120108-1.jpg

Not sure which thread to put this in, didn't want to start a new one so here it is again.

We are doing land and sea. Fairbanks to Denali 2 nights then anchorage 1 night onto Seward for ship. Aug/Sept. We are 2 60 year olds in decent shape. Looking for 1 flight and glacier walk. Not sure which is best stop to do this in; any other excursion suggestions appreciated.

Fairbanks - Riverboat through cruise

Denali - 2 nights only excursion for sure is -AM Tundra Wilderness Tour through cruise line.

Anchorage- 1 night - visiting friends

Anchorage to Seward - sad to say only 2 hours in Seward mostly spent boarding cruise

Glacier Bay

Haines - 14 hours Thinking of renting car and driving any suggestions for Haines?

Juneau - 10 hours

Ketchikan - 8 hours

then onto Vancouver where we spend 2 days and nights

Need help on best place for the glacier flight and walk and any other suggestions. Cost is not a main issue.

We booked our helicopter/sled ride in Juneau our first trip, but it was cancelled due to low clouds/fog. We booked independent through ERA. They refunded due to the cancellation.

The two main ports (from what I can tell) for helicopter rides to the glacier or dog mush is Skagway and Juneau. If that is a priority, often cruisers will book for the first port they arrive (depending upon direction of sailing) so if it is cancelled, they can hopefully book for the following port. I don't know if that helps, but it is often a recommendation.

YES- if the vendor cancels flights, costs are refunded.

Every ride is different. My answer is to do multiple trips. :) IF a priority, the book at earlier stops, so to at least have some back up possibilities. Of course- have all the vendor phone numbers available, and immediately start calling to find availability. You'll have to be accepting of splitting up- if multiple people. Later booking options are more likely to be for single seats.

Family decided that they still want to go to Alaska for the family trip. (Many people who haven't cruised and are afraid of getting sea sick if we cruise all the way to Hawaii.) I am going to go to Hawaii though. I have a friend who lives there. I will get to do both suggestions. :D

Family decided that they still want to go to Alaska for the family trip. (Many people who haven't cruised and are afraid of getting sea sick if we cruise all the way to Hawaii.) I am going to go to Hawaii though. I have a friend who lives there. I will get to do both suggestions. :D

I'm just home from Hawaii 2 days ago. Yes, do go. And simply rent cars, so much drive up beauty you don't need "tours". :)

If you don't mind me asking, how long did you stay? I'm wondering if I should do a week there.

We occasionally do Hawaii land vacations and our favorite island is Kauai. Even from California, it's pretty much a day of travel each way. Add to that a minimum of five solid days enjoying the sights, cultural events, etc.

Headed to the "big island" (Hawaii) for a week later this month.

If you don't mind me asking, how long did you stay? I'm wondering if I should do a week there.

At least a week. :) I've had trips over 3 weeks if, I include a NCL cruise. I'd also suggest not just ending up in "Honolulu", like a lot of Hawaii visitors do. There is so much more. I haven't spent time on Oahu in years. My preferences are Maui and Hawaii, for my priority activities. I never tire of going there. :)

I would highly recommend Tanalian Aviation in Anchorage. We've used them multiple times for heli-skiing up here and I'm going to be getting my rotor license this summer with them. The prices are reasonable and everything is maintained very well. All their pilots are CFI's so your son can also get flight training during the tour!

I've also used Alpine Air Alaska in Girdwood (between Seward and Anchorage) and they are also very good. Tanalian is just closer for us.

I would highly recommend Tanalian Aviation in Anchorage. We've used them multiple times for heli-skiing up here and I'm going to be getting my rotor license this summer with them. The prices are reasonable and everything is maintained very well. All their pilots are CFI's so your son can also get flight training during the tour!

I've also used Alpine Air Alaska in Girdwood (between Seward and Anchorage) and they are also very good. Tanalian is just closer for us.

Thank you so much for that information. He is always talking about getting more flight hours.

• 2 weeks later...

If your son is going to flight school, why not look at some of the helicopter schools in Merrill field...our general aviation company, and surprise him with a couple of lessons so he can add that to his log book back home? There are several companies to teach up here....in Anchorage...