Need to delay our cruise-Cancel via Trip Insurance then rebook?

Hello Carnival Friends,

I was excited when we booked our 1st cruise for late April. Right after I booked via Carnival's website, I bought "cancel for any reason" trip insurance through another website.

Husband just landed a new job & we need to delay the cruise one month.:confused:

What are the ins & outs of this process?

If I cancel via the insurance then re-book, would that cost me less than doing this process through Carnival?

It's less than 30 days now until the cruise, so I stand to lose part of my deposit if I go through Carnival-right?

Carnivals insurance does cover job related reasons. Read or google your policy.

It may be the same as Cancel For Any Reason which must be activated no less than 48 hours before trip departure and only pays you back inthe form of a 75% future cruise credit on Carnival.

I'm thinking of just trying to cancel via the (non-Carnival, "cancel for any reason") Insurance. I will re-read my policy tomorrow, but I am fairly certain it was 100% refund if I cancelled.

Then I will re-book.

Hopefully I won't have to pay a huge $$ amount more and (praying) they will have a decent balcony cabin available.

I'm thinking of just trying to cancel via the (non-Carnival, "cancel for any reason") Insurance. I will re-read my policy tomorrow, but I am fairly certain it was 100% refund if I cancelled.

Then I will re-book.

Hopefully I won't have to pay a huge $$ amount more and (praying) they will have a decent balcony cabin available.

Please be sure and let us know what you find out. I wonder if when you talk to Carnival if you already have another cruise if they'll let you "reschedule" instead of cancel???

Keep us posted please. This may happen to any of us. Also, what insurance company did you choose? We're considering travel insurance for a future cruise and sounds like you've done the shopping already! thx

You would still cancel through Carnival...that's the only way a third-party insurance will review your case and pay benefits. You don't cancel through them.

Once you cancel (or reschedule) through Carnival, the insurance company looks at what your actual $$ loss is and then pays based on that. If Carnival refunds anything, your insurance company would take that into consideration before paying your claim. If as others have reported your trip can be rescheduled with minimal cost to you, your insurance company would be very happy as they would not have to pay out as much in benefits.

If you do cash in benefits, understand that it is likely that policy will now not cover you for the new date. If you don't use any of the benefits, it 'might' be transferable to the new date. Only your insurance company (and policy you bought) can determine that.

You would first have to cancel through Carnival, take the financial hit and then go to the insurance company for reimbursement.

Depending on the exact date expect between 50% and 75% of the fare to be held as penalty.

I pasted the italics below from a post I did on another insurance thread a couple of days ago to show how insurance works - here's how cancelling worked for us. Feels like you best bet might be to see if CCL will change your reservation. When we claimed we lost the cost of the insurance - see if the penalty to change is less than the cost of the insurance.

My DH had a medical issue (heart) causing us to cancel 4 days before our cruise. Our TA cancelled with Carnival (who refunded all monies we'd paid to them - port fees, taxes, excursions, bottled water - in less than 2 weeks.

There's a link for the 3rd party insurance company that covers the cruise fare part. They'll open a folder for you and email the forms you need to fill out including one for the doctor and a list of any receipts you need to send.

We had all of our money back within 3 weeks of sending it in to the 3rd party insurer less the $$ we paid for the insurance policy. We felt that the $200 we spent to get $2,000 back was well worth it.

Hello Carnival Friends,

I was excited when we booked our 1st cruise for late April. Right after I booked via Carnival's website, I bought "cancel for any reason" trip insurance through another website.

Husband just landed a new job & we need to delay the cruise one month.:confused:

What are the ins & outs of this process?

If I cancel via the insurance then re-book, would that cost me less than doing this process through Carnival?

It's less than 30 days now until the cruise, so I stand to lose part of my deposit if I go through Carnival-right?

Wooohoooo!!! After a brief email to Carnival followed by a very sweet call from their Guest Services Executive Assistant, we are all set to cruise after we rescheduled the cruise, the excursion and even the Faster To The Fun!! It was a $100 charge but much better than missing our 1st cruise/losing all the $$.

Can't wait to set sail.

Thanks everyone!!!!

Wooohoooo!!! After a brief email to Carnival followed by a very sweet call from their Guest Services Executive Assistant, we are all set to cruise after we rescheduled the cruise, the excursion and even the Faster To The Fun!! It was a $100 charge but much better than missing our 1st cruise/losing all the $$.

Can't wait to set sail.

Thanks everyone!!!!

That's awesome! Enjoy your cruise!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums