Changes over the years

My first cruise was on the Holiday in 1992. Lots of changes since then and I like the vast majority of them.

Things I miss:

-Amazing midnight buffets

-Steel drums on the Lido deck

Things I don't miss:

-Long lines to disembark

-Cigarette smoke everywhere

-Having to take cash for tips

-Standing in line the last night of the cruise to settle the bar tab

Changes I love:

-All the new food options

-FTTF

-Balconies

-2.0 upgrades

I also love that Carnival maintains some of the older, smaller ships. We went on the Paradise not long ago and I had forgotten how easy it is to get around on the smaller ones.

I like that smoking is not allowed in the cabins or on the balconies, tips can be paid in advance,

Things change. My first cruise was on the Destiny (now Sunshine) in 2001. The economy has taken several wild swings in the past 17 years, but Carnival has managed to thrive despite that. Perhaps they have some really good business people running things (perish the thought!), but despite changes, we still have a great time. Sure, they charge for room service between 10pm and 6am now, but, honestly, how many people truly order between those times? Formal night is now Elegant night; we used to pack tuxes and dresses for those nights, but no more -- not with two elementary-aged children (we do follow the dress code, though). There are more places to eat, more places to play, and the Cheers package is awesome. You can look at it as glass half full or half empty -- your choice, and that choice will color your perception of your vacation.

I cruised the Destiny in 2001 also. I believe that cruise was out of Puerto Rico, and it was just after 9/11 and the airports were full of armed military.

I have not sailed with Carnival since 2007, sailing RCCL and NCL instead, but I have 2 Carnival cruises booked. I’m disappointed that they no longer have the Past Cruiser Reception and the Captains Reception with free cocktails and appetizers. I’m glad they no longer have a Formal Night, just an Elegant Night, because we are so over packing all that formal wear.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Something I've never experienced but have read about....

Letting your friends/family aboard on embarkation day to check out your home for the next X days, then them having to leave before sailaway.

Yeah, that was nice. Our guests saw our cabin and then we went up to the lido for hamburgers and desserts and our visit flew by too quickly. This was aboard the Jubilee in 1991.