Recommend a Guidebook (or 2 :) )

pdcsgirl

While I do most of my research online, I do like a good book, especially for good maps that I can pull out while planning or to wrap up as a gift when I announce the trip to the family (DH, DS12, DS9). I am not concerned with accomodations or flights--more with what to see, how much time to allow for travel between sights, where to eat, etc. We'll spend at least a week on Oahu and take the POA 7-night cruise, so I am wondering if one that focuses on Oahu and another that focuses on the ports is best. Thanks in the advance!

I love the Revealed books (Maiu Revealed, Oahu Revealed, etc.). Although we've been to Hawaii many times, we find the books to be invaluable - comprehensive, detailed, and the authors explain why they liked or didn't like a certain place - it's not just a listing and description of things to do. Plus, they often include little known places to explore. Many libraries have them if you want to check out the books before buying them.

Our favorites are Driving and Discovering Hawaii books by Richard Sullivan. We love the photos and detailed descriptions and directions. You can take a look at the books on line. Enjoy planning your trip!!! Cherie

I agree with RSF Cruiser. The Hawaii Revealed books are a very valuable source of information. We have also been to Hawaii a lot over the last 20 years. They are kind of like our “bible”’of information. We have gotten to many out of the way locations using the directions in the books. Also many good selections of restaurants and deli’s that we probably wouldn’t have used and some of them have become favorites. They are also fun to read. The authors have quite a sense of humor at times. GOOD READING

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While I agree that the Revealed series of books, some people ignore warnings & get injured or killed.

If you heed the cautions & respect private lands it can be the best guidebooks. Stay on public paths & be aware of the weather conditions which can quickly change from a safe experience into a life threatening experience. Flash flooding can happen anywhere but in the tropics it’s more common.

I love the Eyewitness Travel Top 10 books. I currently have one for Honolulu and one for Maui. They have little removable maps that you can carry with you if you don’t want to carry the book around with you.

I love the Eyewitness Travel Top 10 books. I currently have one for Honolulu and one for Maui. They have little removable maps that you can carry with you if you don’t want to carry the book around with you.

These are my favorite books for foreign travel but I have never thought of looking at them for Hawaii. Thanks for recommending them. Cherie