Snorkeling in Skagway?

viating

Hi,

Has anyone tried snorkeling in Skagway or Haines in early June? I’m trying to find an engaging/fun activity like this for the 23yr olds in my group while the parents would be exploring elsewhere. Im also open to other suggestions.

More details: after 4 excursions in Ketchikan and Juneau, we end up in Skagway. I’m having difficulty filling up the afternoon/evening once in Skagway. We are doing the White Pass train in the morning.

Edited by viating

I don't know of any snorkeling excursions other than in Ketchikan. The water in Lynn Canal is very cold (you would need drysuits) and very murky during the summer. You could go horseback riding in Dyea, hike up to Lower Dewey Lake, rent bikes, or drink spruce tip beer (prevents scurvy) and eat halibut at the brewery.

Have not heard of snorkeling in Skagway, but I can tell you that the snorkeling in Ketchikan is better than most spots in the Caribbean...and my husband is from the Cayman islands....sooooooooo...huge red and purple sunstars....like 2' across...beautiful reefs, amazing fish....northern types...not like yellowtails or parrots. some of the best snorkeling I have ever had....I would have loved to dive that area...Go for it....

Have not heard of snorkeling in Skagway, but I can tell you that the snorkeling in Ketchikan is better than most spots in the Caribbean...and my husband is from the Cayman islands....sooooooooo...huge red and purple sunstars....like 2' across...beautiful reefs, amazing fish....northern types...not like yellowtails or parrots. some of the best snorkeling I have ever had....I would have loved to dive that area...Go for it....

WOW - I am really glad you posted this because I was thinking it couldn't be anywhere as good as what we have seen in the Caribbean! Can you tell us where/with whom you did your snorkeling?

There isn't any snorkeling out of Skagway. This is the vendor out of Ketchikan http://snorkelalaska.com/

FWIW, I signed up for this come July. I comparison shopped and the cost is within a dollar whether booked through the Princess personalizer or direct through the tour outfit. For convenience sake, I used Princess's link into the excursion.

FWIW, I signed up for this come July. I comparison shopped and the cost is within a dollar whether booked through the Princess personalizer or direct through the tour outfit. For convenience sake, I used Princess's link into the excursion.

For "convenience", I'd book direct. It's simple to just walk up to the vendor pick up, and you won't be wasting a boatload of time, "waiting" to be hand held off the ship. ;) Also, likely can get out of the large group cruise tour, picking an alternative, more desirable size group perhaps? Yes, they do divide up groups, but not having the numbers at one time is a benefit with any tour.

For "convenience", I'd book direct. It's simple to just walk up to the vendor pick up, and you won't be wasting a boatload of time, "waiting" to be hand held off the ship. ;) Also, likely can get out of the large group cruise tour, picking an alternative, more desirable size group perhaps? Yes, they do divide up groups, but not having the numbers at one time is a benefit with any tour.

Ah, but another benefit (for me) is avoiding conflict with another excursion that I have the same day. I have exactly an hour between the scheduled conclusion of this one and my next. Time enough for lunch (I hope).

Ah, but another benefit (for me) is avoiding conflict with another excursion that I have the same day. I have exactly an hour between the scheduled conclusion of this one and my next. Time enough for lunch (I hope).

The vendor will give you way more accurate information and your ability to make another tour an hour later. The ship is not operating the tours, they are simply booking agents. :)

It depends on your abilities and where your ship is docked, and likely you are on another ship tour? Should work out well for you.

We snorkeled in Ketchikan on our first cruise to Alaska and loved it. It's one of our favorite excursions of all time. We were lucky to have a hot day. There is an initial shock when you get into the water in the wetsuits, but even DH managed to adjust quickly, and he's a wimp when it comes to getting into cold water. (It took him 30 minutes to get fully in last month at Princess Cays.)

Thanks for the input everyone. I saw Ketchikan was preferred site for snorkeling, but we have an all day excursion booked over there already.

There a lot of rafting options so we will likely do that in Skagway after the train.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just found out about a new dive operation out of Seward...you can have a 2 or a 3 tank dive...or a snorkeling trip or a free diving trip...the outfit can be reached at http://www.sewardoceanexcursions,com I have not been on this dive, but it comes with good recommendations. They do both summer and winter diving...