Toulon (Provence) on your own

Kokomo91165

Hi there,

Am looking for some information on doing Toulon on my own. I am trying to save some money by not going through the cruise line, as some of their tours are short and VERY expensive.

If anyone can give me some advice/information as to where I should go while visiting and things I should not miss seeing, that would be most helpful.

Also, are their local tour companies or hop on/off tours that can take my through the city so I can get acclimated?

Thanks for the help!

When folks ask us about doing "their own thing" (which has become our specialty) we always suggest they first take a look at all the excursion offerings on their cruise (they will be on the cruise line web site) to get an idea of the various options available in a particular region. Your next step is to explore the public transportation options (this is the secret of saving big bucks) or possibly thinking about a rental car. You will find lots of information and advice in the appropriate Cruise Critic port forums. For what its worth we have been traveling internationally for over forty years, been to Europe dozens of times and have very rarely ever taken an organized excursion. In many ports we simply get off the ship and jump on a local bus or train....and we also make very frequent use of rental cars (both on a port day and also on extended European trips). In the case of France, driving is similar to in the USA, the trains are excellent, and the local buses are cheap (often only 1 Euro).

Hank

Archived