Car seat needed in St. Thomas?

Koolaid33

We are cruising to St. Thomas and looked about taking one of the safari style trucks to the beach. Do they allow babies? Of course you could not put a car seat in the back of the truck, but was wondering what others have done. Or would we need to bring a car seat and take a normal taxi. We also have stops in San Juan and I know if we want to go out side of Old San Juan we would need a car seat. I am not worried about Grand Turk or Amber Cove as we will not leave the port.

Many countries the vehicles don't have seat belts installed. Unless you really need one leave home especially if your flying.

St. Thomas is in the United States and all vehicle requirements apply including child seats and seat belts. The open safari style trucks are really not a good idea for families with toddlers.

We are cruising to St. Thomas and looked about taking one of the safari style trucks to the beach. Do they allow babies? Of course you could not put a car seat in the back of the truck, but was wondering what others have done. Or would we need to bring a car seat and take a normal taxi. We also have stops in San Juan and I know if we want to go out side of Old San Juan we would need a car seat. I am not worried about Grand Turk or Amber Cove as we will not leave the port.

We had no problem using the open safari style to get our family group that included a toddler from Crown Bay into Town...many will be doing this...good luck finding a taxi with seat belts and lugging a car seat around with you....JMHO and what works for many at this port stop.

The cab drivers in the caribbean will generally allow toddlers and small children to travel without carseats. We always arranged transportation ahead of time, and explained we'd need a vehicle that could accommodate a carseat. If you hire a car for the day, you can just leave the carseat in the vehicle while you tour (we didn't just go to a beach - we toured all over different cities so its a little different)

You can also try to get a cab in port, but might need to wait until you find one with seatbelts.

Many countries the vehicles don't have seat belts installed. Unless you really need one leave home especially if your flying.

If you are flying, the child should be using the car seat on the plane.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I never understand these questions. Would you consider letting your child ride in a vehicle at home without the appropriate restraint? Why would you think it was safe to do so while on vacation?

Host Walt is correct; St Thomas is in the U.S. Virgin Islands. Laws there require any child under the age of five to be in a car seat.

“Unless you really need one leave at home.” This is just absurd. You always need an appropriate restraint for your child’s safety.

As a frequent poster, who now rarely visits this forum used to say, “Its easier to carry a car seat around than to accompany a tiny coffin home.”

I never understand these questions. Would you consider letting your child ride in a vehicle at home without the appropriate restraint? Why would you think it was safe to do so while on vacation?

Host Walt is correct; St Thomas is in the U.S. Virgin Islands. Laws there require any child under the age of five to be in a car seat.

“Unless you really need one leave at home.” This is just absurd. You always need an appropriate restraint for your child’s safety.

As a frequent poster, who now rarely visits this forum used to say, “Its easier to carry a car seat around than to accompany a tiny coffin home.”

But there is transportation that is safe without car seats. People who live in cities takes buses every day, no seatbelts. I live in a metropolitan area, I can’t remember the last time I’ve heard of a child being injured or killed in a city bus accident on the news.

I am not sure what age you reference when you say "baby" but when my son was just shy of 3 we took his first cruise. He was large enough for a booster seat, so we used that and strapped it to a back pack for carry purposes.

If you are speaking rear or forward facing infant, not large enough for booster, it would be up to your personal comfort level on mass transit. Be aware that the cab drivers in St. Thomas can rival those in NYC and it can be a bit harrowing on those twisting cliff-side road.

From my experience the taxi driver won't care how old your child is, they just want the $. We just used an open safari style taxi to travel from the port to Magens Bay two weeks ago and had no problems. DH and I just held on to each kid (1.5 & 2.5) and they both loved it.

From my experience the taxi driver won't care how old your child is, they just want the $. We just used an open safari style taxi to travel from the port to Magens Bay two weeks ago and had no problems. DH and I just held on to each kid (1.5 & 2.5) and they both loved it.

I agree with you and how you managed. It's "you" that will need a seat belt now with the bumpy ride you're in for with some poster's. Good luck and "hold on" :eek:;);)

I won't even go in one of those open air trucks (after a frightening drive there many years ago). There is no way I would take my young children in them unrestrained.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Forums mobile app

The open air trucks are the only way we can travel through the islands, otherwise DH gets carsick.

I have been researching the same topic for a couple of weeks. We are taking a 14 month old and a 3 year old for a 14 day cruise. We will be with the mom and dad (my daughter and hubby). But I am a bit nervous about how we will keep the kids safe. The 3 year old is tiny for his age, so a booster might not work. I told my daughter I would see what others do. Thanks for your post :)