Cozumel ... safe?

Fnigro07

We’ve been there six times. Never had a problem. Shopping close to the three piers No issue w taking a cab to a beech. Taxi rates are a set price. Still best to clarify the price before you get in the taxi. We like being a guest on their island. Have fun!

Cozumel is one of the safest and easiest islands to do your own thing without booking an excursion. Lots of beach clubs and activities to choose from. The cabs on Cozumel are fairly well regulated - especially compared to the crooks in Philly :mad: - with the fares to most of the popular tourist spots posted on a board near the taxi line for your pier. It never hurts to confirm the fare with the driver BEFORE you get into the taxi.

There are three cruise ship piers on Coz -- be sure that you go back to the correct pier, which can be a challenge after 10 or 11 margaritas. :rolleyes:

Have a great cruise!

Safer than most places in the US. They make their money from the tourist. From staying on the island and talking to the locals the government deals with troublemakers quickly and severely. We often go out at night and have been known to be several blocks back from the tourist areas and have felt sade. Just stay aware of your surroundings like you would anywhere

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from Oasis trip on 2/25 with a day stop at Cozumel. Stood in taxi line outside of port w ship’s Captain, who was heading to a golf course. Us, family of four went to Mr. Sanchos for a day on the beach. Felt perfectly safe. Return trip taxi dropped us off a bit far from port entrance, but I think it was planned for riders to walk through the mall for shopping. We had concerns earlier, but all seemed fine. Resort was crowded to capacity and definitely safe.

Other countries around the world issue similar warnings about the U.S. too. How many people, in other countries and even in the United States, do you think re-assessed a vacation in Las Vegas after the massacre that occurred there? Boston? London? Paris? Barcelona? Greece? There has been incidences of violence that have occurred around the world at various times, including the U.S. They depend on tourism. I'm sure they are taking it seriously.

Other countries around the world issue similar warnings about the U.S. too. How many people, in other countries and even in the United States, do you think re-assessed a vacation in Las Vegas after the massacre that occurred there? Boston? London? Paris? Barcelona? Greece? There has been incidences of violence that have occurred around the world at various times, including the U.S. They depend on tourism. I'm sure they are taking it seriously.

Exactly, you do with information what you like. Just grounds for being a little more cautious than usual. Nothing wrong with that.

We have always felt in the past that Cozumel has been safe & we have used local taxis to go to beaches for years, but is it now? Explosives attached to the underside of ferries is VERY SERIOUS, whatever the reason!!! One exploded a week or so ago, & then 2 were found the other day, maybe more!! The implication from reading the US State Dept warning is that these devices were found on ferries going FROM COZ to the mainland, so to me that means there are some people running around Coz with explosives in their possession, with the intention of creating a disaster.....so this is a SERIOUS situation!! What place will "they" choose next, to place a couple of explosives?....the markets at the 3 docks? at Senor Frogs? in Chankanaab? A hotel? Something YOU should think about!!

We have always felt in the past that Cozumel has been safe & we have used local taxis to go to beaches for years, but is it now? Explosives attached to the underside of ferries is VERY SERIOUS, whatever the reason!!! One exploded a week or so ago, & then 2 were found the other day, maybe more!! The implication from reading the US State Dept warning is that these devices were found on ferries going FROM COZ to the mainland, so to me that means there are some people running around Coz with explosives in their possession, with the intention of creating a disaster.....so this is a SERIOUS situation!! What place will "they" choose next, to place a couple of explosives?....the markets at the 3 docks? at Senor Frogs? in Chankanaab? A hotel? Something YOU should think about!!

Or in New York or California, maybe even Hawaii or gasp, the middle of Tennessee.

Don’t even compare the massacre in Las Vegas to the bombing of a ferry, they couldn’t be more different .

The shooter in Las Vegas was acting alone and he is now dead.

The bombing of the ferry was done by a highly organized drug cartel that is doing its best to destroy Mexico- big difference!

I have cruised 30 times since ‘89.

I remember when Cabo was really nothing, quaint place, a beach, that’s it. Now it’s huge and has the highest spike in murders.

Mazatlan used to be a fun spot, safe, now much of it should be avoided and for years, most cruise lines did just.

Acapulco used to be wonderful, was there just before cruiselines stopped going, Xtapa, Manzanillo were also nice- not anymore!

Now comes Cozumel - will it fall like the others? Hopefully not.

Before anyone puts faith in the police and military down there, that’s where the gangs get a lot of their “employees”.

"The bombing of the ferry was done by a highly organized drug cartel that is doing its best to destroy Mexico- big difference!"

. . . and exactly how do you know this?

Unless you can back up wild speculation like this, you should stop with the hyperbole. You've "cruised 30 times since 1989" - how much time have you spent on the island in that timespan other than an eight hour port visit? Maybe you are too afraid to to travel but please, keep your fearfulness in it's proper place - with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 months later...
"The bombing of the ferry was done by a highly organized drug cartel that is doing its best to destroy Mexico- big difference!"

. . . and exactly how do you know this?

Unless you can back up wild speculation like this, you should stop with the hyperbole. You've "cruised 30 times since 1989" - how much time have you spent on the island in that timespan other than an eight hour port visit? Maybe you are too afraid to to travel but please, keep your fearfulness in it's proper place - with you.

I have a cruise scheduled in September and all the research I have conducted points to drug cartels being responsible for the explosive devices on the ferries. Perhaps all of you who seem to know so much more than us, could share your all knowing explanation of what happened to put our minds at ease instead of criticizing those of us who are concerned.

It has NOTHING to do with a drug cartel. You need to quit spreading rumors about something you haven't clue about or even where it happened.

Again, if you have a clue of what happened perhaps you could share the information with the rest of us.

I have a cruise scheduled in September and all the research I have conducted points to drug cartels being responsible for the explosive devices on the ferries. Perhaps all of you who seem to know so much more than us, could share your all knowing explanation of what happened to put our minds at ease instead of criticizing those of us who are concerned.

Well - my wife and I spent a month on Coz last November and December and didn’t get blown up, shot, kidnapped, or killed.

We’re going back again in November for another month.

I think you’ll be safe enough during an eight hour port visit.

If you do more research, you will find that that 3rd ferry company (the one targeted) and that the owner was a corrupt politician from the Mainland. Several people were arrested, and with Mexican law, I would expect them all to go to prison for a long long time. Seems he paid for the bombings of his own boat as an insurance scam. Nothing more.

The other two ferry companies have been running daily, on their regular schedule since a few days after that original incident with no problems. Many many people who work on Cozumel live on the Mainland and rely on the ferry to get to and from work daily. The ferries run full every hour, back and forth, hundreds of times per month. Everyone is fine and safe.

Yes, I do have "inside" information. We are scuba divers who frequent Cozumel for vacations every year for past 18 years. We have dozens of friends who live there, Cozumel and Playa. I talk to them often. I trust THEY know what is going on.