New to Princess (Formal Nights)

Mouseoholic

We are Gold with DCL but have decided to try Princess and are booked for a 7 night Western Caribbean cruise in January 2018. How do I find out what nights are formal nights? According to the website there are two. I want to book private dining but not on a formal night. Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It depends on the actual itinerary, but you can be sure that it will not be the first night or the last night, and more than likely one formal night will be a sea day.

Usually the first sea day and the next to last day on the ship, but as noted above, it can vary with the itinerary.

Your best bet is to wait 'til you're on the ship...go to your cabin...drop off your carry-on...grab the daily newsletter (Patter)...check the itinerary schedule that will be listed...then go to the designated specialty dining room for making reservations. You don't need to make reservations ahead of time, they're almost never booked solid.

Oh & "welcome" to Cruise Critic!!

We are Gold with DCL but have decided to try Princess and are booked for a 7 night Western Caribbean cruise in January 2018. How do I find out what nights are formal nights? According to the website there are two. I want to book private dining but not on a formal night. Thanks for your help.

What date and ship? You will not know for sure until you board, but we can give some very good guesses from experience. It will not be boarding day or the evening prior to disembarkation.

Usually the first sea day and the next to last day on the ship, but as noted above, it can vary with the itinerary.

Your best bet is to wait 'til you're on the ship...go to your cabin...drop off your carry-on...grab the daily newsletter (Patter)...check the itinerary schedule that will be listed...then go to the designated specialty dining room for making reservations. You don't need to make reservations ahead of time, they're almost never booked solid.

Oh & "welcome" to Cruise Critic!!

Thanks for the info. We have one port day where we do not leave until 10 pm. We have a room with an oversized balcony and thought private dining on the deck would be nice. It’s the next to the last night [emoji849]

I like the idea of just waiting until we are on the ship. THANKS

What date and ship? You will not know for sure until you board, but we can give some very good guesses from experience. It will not be boarding day or the evening prior to disembarkation.

Regal Princess January 14th sailing from Fort Lauderdale.

If I am looking at your correct itinerary, the second Formal Night will be at Cozumel.

I will not be the next day, at sea, because everyone has to be preparing to pack and disembark first thing the next morning.

We have considered this itinerary, and I have seen a trip report, with the Princess Patters daily newsletters, that show that the second Formal Night is the while they are at Cozumel. Even with the late departure.

This was not a recent cruise, and you never know if things might change.

So, no guarantees.

But, this is what I had found.

If I am looking at your correct itinerary, the second Formal Night will be at Cozumel.

I will not be the next day, at sea, because everyone has to be preparing to pack and disembark first thing the next morning.

We have considered this itinerary, and I have seen a trip report, with the Princess Patters daily newsletters, that show that the second Formal Night is the while they are at Cozumel. Even with the late departure.

This was not a recent cruise, and you never know if things might change.

So, no guarantees.

But, this is what I had found.

Would likely be Cozumel.

Educated guess would be Tuesday and Thursday....first sea day and the early boarding (4 pm) in port. The next to last day doesn't board from the port until 10 pm...I don't see them having a formal night when people may still be walking around town or on excursions.

That is a good educated guess...

But, past experience, and some patters, seem to indicate that it could very well be Coz....

I am thinking that not that many people would place a second formal night as a huge priority?

I don't know if the OP would want to do the Balcony Dining while at port????

I would be interested in scheduling the Crab Shack on that night.

Do make plans for the Balcony Dining as soon as possible upon boarding. I have heard that this is limited to a certain number per night... as the staff has to be allocated. I am the kind of person who likes to have that kind of thing all set.

Enjoy!!!!

Suggest you find a similar cruise with a roll call prior to your cruise and ask if someone will confirm their experience upon return.

Excellent idea! I’m a huge planner and would really like to know. I think this itinerary is sold out because the last time I checked it was removed from the booking site. That’s incentive for me to book this in advance.

I feel like a fish out of water. Ask me about Disney and I know the answer. It’s kind of fun experiencing a new cruise line.

Excellent idea! I’m a huge planner and would really like to know. I think this itinerary is sold out because the last time I checked it was removed from the booking site. That’s incentive for me to book this in advance.

I feel like a fish out of water. Ask me about Disney and I know the answer. It’s kind of fun experiencing a new cruise line.

Hope it works. I've got a similar problem on a Holland cruise in March. The last two days are a port day in Cozumel, then a sea day, then disembarkation in Tampa. Normally, I'd say the last formal night would be in Coz but we're in port there until 11PM. I know the formal night won't be on the sea day. It's an almost unique itinerary. There is one just like it in December. Some folks in that roll call promised to let me know what they did.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you sell this stock and get commissions? I think I've seen your post on 20 different posts already...which makes me want to never buy any Carnival Stock!!

Not a bad deal if you bought CCL@$28 per share, receive an annual dividend, and $250 OBC each time you sail on Princess. :)

Not a bad deal if you bought CCL@$28 per share, receive an annual dividend, and $250 OBC each time you sail on Princess. :)

CCL stock is currently trading for $66 a share...I'd have to invest $6600 to get that OBC...do they guarantee that OBC for as long as I own the stock? If so, then it may be worth the purchase, especially since the stock seems to be pretty stable. Thanks for the advice!!

Hope it works. I've got a similar problem on a Holland cruise in March. The last two days are a port day in Cozumel, then a sea day, then disembarkation in Tampa. Normally, I'd say the last formal night would be in Coz but we're in port there until 11PM. I know the formal night won't be on the sea day. It's an almost unique itinerary. There is one just like it in December. Some folks in that roll call promised to let me know what they did.

I️ look forward to hearing how it’s scheduled for the December cruise.