possible dumb question--" tennies or hiking boots"?

Fairfield Nana

Have a couple of hikes booked with HAL cruise in May 2018 for Denali (Tundra Wilderness Tour and Boyd's Photo Tour), Haines (Reserve Nature Float), Ketchikan ( wilderness Exploration & Crab feast). Do we need our hiking boots or will tennies do? Hope to economize on size & weight and just use Tennies if possible. Suggestions greatly appreciated!

Have a couple of hikes booked with HAL cruise in May 2018 for Denali (Tundra Wilderness Tour and Boyd's Photo Tour), Haines (Reserve Nature Float), Ketchikan ( wilderness Exploration & Crab feast). Do we need our hiking boots or will tennies do? Hope to economize on size & weight and just use Tennies if possible. Suggestions greatly appreciated!

Here's a thread that discusses that question: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2464646&highlight=shoes

If you search on "shoes" you'll find several more.

Regardless of whether or not you plan to hike, do your feet get cold easily? I take my hiking boots to Alaska for warmth, even if we're not hiking. Will do this in May, since that Glacier Bay day can get pretty cold and we like to be outside.

great tip--love warm tootsies!! Thanks..

Honestly - it is not necessary. Wear better socks. I wouldn't take up luggage space by bringing them. I have never needed to bring anything but basic socks and athletic shoes and I am out all day on glacier days. The only thing I bring for those days is ear protection.

I went out and got a pair of the Columbia hiking shoes, they are more like sneakers then boots and I knew that I would wear them again too and I still do. Also helped that I got them on clearance when Sports Authority was going our of business :D Had a second pair of sneakers just to be safe.

I agree with the PP about warmth. I got Keens hiking shoes and I was so glad to have them for the comfort, the ankle support, the good grip they gave me AND the warmth which had never crossed my mind. My husband had to wear two pairs of socks with his Nikes to keep warm.