Doing up that side zip on a formal dress....

....OK...minor niggle/dilemma here, so looking for ideas on how to tame that most awkward problem of doing up the zip on a formal dress when it is on the left hand side (ie from waist to under the arm), when you only have one pair of hands available (you're own)...?

I have been having all sorts of fun and games trying to fathom out an easy way to do side zips up on my formal dresses, but have ended up in a right pickle doing so.

Any ideas or tips on how to tame that zip would be very much appreciated :o

I HATE SIDE ZIPS!!!!!!!!!! I rarely buy a dress that has one. I am very claustrophobic and a side zip makes me feel all closed in. On my first cruise, I had a strapless dress with a side zip. I went up to the cabin , by myself, to change. I couldn't get the zipper down, I got all panicky, and almost went for the scissors to cut myself out of the dress!!!!!:eek:

I have the same problem with some back zippers---sometimes, I just can't reach to the top, if it's a lower cut back...

I've never been adverse to asking the room attendant (if they're around) for help!

hmmm the string idea is OK for back zips, but side ones can be a little trickier to tame since you aren't pulling from the center of them, if that makes sense, you're usually pulling from the front/side sort of direction...:o

I have 3 dresses, all side zipped, all a right pain in the backside to do up...will have to find an easy way to manage it somehow :o

What works best for me (though it hardly qualifies as "great" help :) ) is to use my right hand (my dominant hand) to hold the dress taut just below the bottom part of the zipper and to use my left hand (non-dominant) to pull the zipper up. When zipping down, I reverse the place of my hands.

Zipper pulls would be great if you have the kind of zipper head with a hole in it. My two dresses with side zips have invisible type zippers with sleek, no hole heads. They are a pain in the butt. :mad:

All this time, I thought it was just me. I'even resorted to putting the dress on sideways, zipping it up, then squiggle it back to "right" it. Only works because it's a one shoulder dress. Best thing that I've found that works for me everytime is for DH to zip it:)

This really gives me a chuckle, as I'm always so happy when there's a side zip, as opposed to a back zip. Side zips are so easy for me, and so I assumed the same for everyone else.

My hands reach the side of my torso easily.

See, now you all have me worried that my arms are too long!:eek:

You can't reach the left side of your torso w/ your right hand, and vice versa?

BTW, I have on of those zipper pulls for back zip dresses and it's terrific!

Guess it would be even harder by the second formal night with all those extra meals....

...I have 9 formals on the next cruise....:eek: :o

I am so pleased that I am not the only one who has battles with side zips...they get so fiddly when they refuse to do up and I get stressed...fingers aren't what they used to be thanks to arthritis & a mild stroke (patience has never been one of my virtues either)....

The three dresses are designer ones that were at a sale and I couldn't resist them, one can be wriggled about but the other two definitely can't...

I will give the zip pulls a try but any other ideas will be gratefully received too, please :)

This really gives me a chuckle, as I'm always so happy when there's a side zip, as opposed to a back zip. Side zips are so easy for me, and so I assumed the same for everyone else.

Hi Jane:) ahhhhh....see what you get for assuming?:D

I absolutely HATE dresses with side zippers:eek:...not because

I am claustrophobic but just because they are a total pain the

a$$ to do.

Lynn, so sorry you had to cut yourself out of that dress:(

Jane, have you moved yet? Wishing you and hubby an easy

transition:)

when the invisible zippers encounter seams such as the bodice seam with the skirt seam (that would be 4 layers of fabric if the garment is lined) it then becomes a real B**c* and, as far as I am concerned, almost impossible to do by yourself. I'm not talking about lower end garments either b/c I have a David Meister that is REALLY hard to zip.

I really think all dressmakers need to think about leaving a small amount of fabric "give" on the zipper when a dress is supposed to hug your body.

I used to do a lot of sewing, but don't really have the time anymore. I understand that manufacturers think the invisible zippers are great, but they're only great if you can zip them. I've had a few dresses with no problem, but all those bias cut dresses with the side zipper are horendous. I actually bought a new dress for formal night, partly because it took me and my husband about 20 minutes to get it unzipped when I was trying it on a month ago. My new dress has a back zip, and I need help zipping it because I can't reach it. However, the zipper moves!!! ;) I'm not stuck!

when the invisible zippers encounter seams such as the bodice seam with the skirt seam (that would be 4 layers of fabric if the garment is lined) it then becomes a real B**c* and, as far as I am concerned, almost impossible to do by yourself. I'm not talking about lower end garments either b/c I have a David Meister that is REALLY hard to zip.

I really think all dressmakers need to think about leaving a small amount of fabric "give" on the zipper when a dress is supposed to hug your body.

Oh I hear ya'.

I have an Anne Klein cocktail dress that is shutter pleats the whole way down and it's lined. So every 1 1/2 inch along the 18 inch zipper I run into a spot where the zipper doesn't want to clear. Even DH has a hard time zipping it and complains but once I'm in, the dress fits like a glove and I love it. BTW, DH likes to unzip it.:p:D

One of my formals is going to be a real challenge, it's a PearceIIFironda and has a halter neck but with added 2" wide ribbon shoulder straps that are sown in. The dress has a side zip and a cumberbund type waist to it...triple whammy on the zip obstacle department.

To get it on you have to go at it from underneath, then head through one set of ribbons and the halter (the halter neck is buttoned but doesn't need to be opened). Once you are in the middle of all the straps you then have to shimmy it all into the right place due to it having an inbuilt bra support and then finally a hook & eye under the arm before attacking/taming the zip that runs from about hip level up to the hook & eye.

The dress is 100% pure silk & silk chiffon, I am 5'11" tall and it's about 3" longer than I am tall, it's black with a delicate floral spray pattern on it, the ribbons are scarlet red and they start at the bust and go over the shoulders, down the back into a bow and then drape onto the floor, they too are 100% silk. The dress is BEAUTIFUL..just a right pain in the whoozit to get into and do up :o

The dress is here...the boddice is a little complicated, the ribbons go right down the back. I have bought a special pair of shoes to wear with it too, black peep-toe courts, with 4.5" heel and 1" sole that are covered in sequins, they look really nice with the dress and lift the hem off the floor too :)

dress.jpg.c4eee2f8ef53b84f9bd934612595eca0.jpg

dress1.jpg.23f3f7d066e4a84e897bf2b6d149afdf.jpg

dress2.jpg.c4c4ed5230acbd539bd64dab34eb533b.jpg

Hi Jane:) ahhhhh....see what you get for assuming?:D

I absolutely HATE dresses with side zippers:eek:...not because

I am claustrophobic but just because they are a total pain the

a$$ to do.

Lynn, so sorry you had to cut yourself out of that dress:(

Jane, have you moved yet? Wishing you and hubby an easy

transition:)

Sorry folks.....this is OT.....

Haven't moved yet Lois. We hit a few snags with the NYC Dept of Buildings, and just yesterday got the permit to combine the two apts, so the wall will be broken through tomorrow! YAY!

Most of the other work is done - freshly painted, new moulding, a wall built to create an office area, new a/c's installed. All that's left to do is to create the "saddle" between the two apts where the wall was, then sand and lacquer the floors. The french doors I bought haven't arrived yet; they're being made in Cal. They're mahogany, with etched glass and then zinc inlaid 1930's like design within the glass, which will look pretty across from the wrought iron railing. The apt was built in 1937 and I'm trying to keep the architectural details in that style.

I'm going on a two night cruise at the end of the month and will be bringing 2 side zip dresses! I love 'em! :)

LOL...I was thinking the same thing...I have no problems with side zips...what's wrong with me?

^I've always found side zips easier than back zips. Guess I'm an odd one as well :).

But truthfully, back zips aren't really much of a problem either. I have long arms (my "wingspan" is about 3 inches longer than my height).

Ditto here! When I first read this thread I thought I must be misunderstanding something because side zips are obviously much easier to reach than back zips! :eek: ;) So, as it turns out, I've been mistaken all along! Our ability to easily access our side zippers places us in a special group! ;) We are an anomaly! Now I feel sort of "special" :D

Ditto here! When I first read this thread I thought I must be misunderstanding something because side zips are obviously much easier to reach than back zips! :eek: ;) So, as it turns out, I've been mistaken all along! Our ability to easily access our side zippers places us in a special group! ;) We are an anomaly! Now I feel sort of "special" :D

Add to that, anyone who has THEIR OWN Henry makes them even more special?:D

What's he been up to lately....behaving himself?:p

Like I said, I find side zips hard going since the stroke...I am right handed, the zip is on the left side, so the right hand has to argue with it and along with the arthritis, well the right arm isn't as good as it used to be...and since I travel alone, I get pretty stuck, hence asking for ideas around the problem :o

I guess I could leave the side zipped dresses at home but they are really nice and it would be such a shame to do that :(

Add to that, anyone who has THEIR OWN Henry makes them even more special?:D

What's he been up to lately....behaving himself?:p

Henry is great! In fact he just enjoyed some delicious Costa Rican coffee! (I spilled some freshly ground beans on the floor and Henry couldn't wait to suck those up! :D ) Henry is peeking at me as I type though! He is hoping to have some danish with his coffee! ;) Oops! I just dropped a crumb! Here comes Henry! :)

Archived