Visiting Vid / Narona from Dubrovnik?

I suspect this is a question for Dubrovnik Travel Lady to answer:

I've been to Dubrovnik previously and am looking for something else to do nearby on my next visit. I'm much more interested in Roman history than in natural beauty. I recently read some information about the Roman site of Narona and a good local museum there housing a number of statues and artifacts recovered from the Roman town (close to modern Vid).

Any recommendations on how to visit this place without renting a car -- I'm not interested in driving. Is it possible to find a driver and make a plan in advance? Or do I need to negotiate with a taxi driver when I arrive -- and if so, is there a going rate? I suspect any bus service might take too long, but I'm not sure of the exact distance....

By car it would take approximately 2 hours with normal traffic. However if your arrival is during high season it could be far more than that. If you are arriving on a cruise ship, I would not recommend taking the chance of getting caught in our summer season traffic jams. Much closer you have our Konavle area, Cavtat to the south and the other direction is Ston and part of the Peljesac peninsula. You may want to continue to do more research on the area closer.

Unfortunately, as I said, my interests really lie with ancient sites, not pretty natural scenery or medieval towns (of which Croatia has many!). I have not yet found anything closer to Dubrovnik.

The 2 hours doesn't overly concern me as we are in port for 12 hours and I suspect the visit at Narona can be accomplished in perhaps 4 hours. (After all, it's 90 minutes or more even to Florence from Livorno, and I've done it via public transportation....:)).

I think I have located a driver, so we will see if it all comes together. We'll be there at the end of May -- not low season but perhaps not quite as bad as later on in the summer.