Carnival Pride - possible death ashore in Grand Turk

CPWhittingham

Carnival Pride - as reported on cruisejunkie.com :-

From a passenger: We were in Grand Turk on Wednesday April 4, 2012. There was a diving accident. Rumor was that a 17 year old drowned. Ship was delayed an hour as cruise medical staff was onsite. At least one family member stayed behind on the island with the injured diver.

My prayers are very active tonight

Somebody just posted a review on here of their cruise last week, on the Pride, and it was mentioned that there was a medical emergency and the family had to stay ashore. It was also mentioned that they didn't make it.:( My prayers go out to this family.

It was definitely scary and sad :( I read an article though today from the police in Grand Turk and it said the young man was evacuated to the United States and as far as they knew in critical condition. I hope that somehow he pulls through and is okay ....not how anyone wants to have their vacation end :( We said lots of prayers for all involved ....

I did some searches and could find nothing but different versions of the same news article. I hope this means the boy is still alive, after being airlifted to the US.

In any case the lack of media attention might be making a horribly difficult time for his family slightly less so.

I was trying to find the article about the grandmother who disappeared while scuba diving recently. She was on a cruise (I believe carnival) and was doing a harder dive (Cozumel maybe) and they think she may have been sucked in a reef. She is presumed dead and her family is hoping her body will surface soon.

I'm going to go look for the article again.

I was on this trip and saw the beginning of the excursion that the incident occured. According to the family members that were still onboard the Pride, the 17 yr old was in a coma and as soon as he was able to travel he would be flown back to the US. That was a/o 2 days after the incident, so Friday. I did not hear of any follow up, we docked in Baltimore on Sunday. I knew 2 people on the same excursion and they were the people that spoke to the additional family members on the ship about the young man, so a good source.

I was trying to find the article about the grandmother who disappeared while scuba diving recently. She was on a cruise (I believe carnival) and was doing a harder dive (Cozumel maybe) and they think she may have been sucked in a reef. She is presumed dead and her family is hoping her body will surface soon.

I'm going to go look for the article again.

I just found the article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2126746/Grandmother-feared-dead-sucked-away-husbands-strong-currents-scuba-dive.html

so sad :(

Jeez, i am glad i am no diver.
It's not something to undertake lightly.

Having oodles of snorkelling water-worthiness beforehand helps a lot:

by that I mean someone who is already WELL familiar with how to fit,wear and use (their own?) mask, snorkel, flippers

-so that all they really need to learn now...is the SCUBA bit

which is quite enough in itself! :)

This observation from someone who has conducted at least 1,500 resort SCUBA crash courses

on the Caribbean island where I live..

this is very sad....

We planned on using the Carnival excursion for our Dive in Grand Turk in May but hadn't booked it yet. We did it last May and had a great time... went to look for it just now and it's not on the list of excursions to book in Grand Turk anymore. Wonder if they are discontinuing their contract with Oasis Divers...

Archived