Q and A on Grand Asia cruise with captain and hotel manager

WriterOnDeck

While in Honolulu with free fast WIFI, I thought I would post my blog entry here about the Q and A session Captain Eversen and Hotel Manager Mensink had a couple of days ago on our Grand Asia cruise.

This is also on my blog, where I have now posted daily for 73 days... You can find it here: woodenshoesailing.wordpress.com.

It's been a great cruise! I'm not ready to go home. Unfortunately (perhaps), I won't be coming back to this thread during our final five days at sea (slow expensive internet as usual). So I won't be able to answer and questions in a timely fashion.

----

Today Captain Fred Eversen, Hotel Director Henk Mensink and Cruise Director Hamish Davis hosted a question and answer gathering in the Queen’s Lounge, and passengers packed the two-story theater.

The most favorable comments and longest applause came in support of the staff of the Amsterdam. One passenger said they come back over and over to Holland America year after year because of the Indonesian and Filipino staff. (I hear the company is expanding to hire Thai staff, as other cruise ships are “poaching” too many candidates from Indonesia and the Philippines.)

Many who took the microphone opened their comments or questions with compliments, but then went on to mention items ranging from major to minor.

The Amsterdam is almost 20 years old and is considered the “flagship” for the World Cruise and the Grand Asia. Some passengers feel it is showing its age, and Capt. Eversen mentioned that it would be going into dry dock for upgrades in May after the 2018 World Cruise. Among the improvements will be upgraded bathrooms in about 400 staterooms.

In response to another comment, yes, the televisions in the cabins will be replaced, and under consideration is a new intelligent TV system that will allow passengers to view accounts and select movies instead of requesting DVDs from the front office.

The Mariners Award program came up in several questions and comments. While acknowledging that the program is administered from headquarters in Seattle, the officers said they are aware of the great distance between 5-star status (500 Mariner points) and Presidents Club (1,400 nights). There isn’t a big difference in rewards, so adding a new tier isn’t easy.

On this grand voyage, there are 800 passengers with four- and five-star status, which led the officers to decide against giving tender priority to these passengers at ports where we anchor. They said the crowds would create a safety hazard. However, in response to one passenger who complained that he wasn’t able to get off in time for a scheduled fishing expedition, the hotel manager said that exceptions are made and suggested passengers with specific needs should make requests.

A complaint about Internet service, described as of poor quality and high price, drew a large round of applause. Captain Eversen said there never would be enough bandwidth on the ship. Our demand continues to grow, and we have been sailing in parts of the ocean that aren’t well served. He said the satellite Internet companies focus on areas such as the Caribbean when the demand is higher.

Some passengers offered suggestions:

· Provide an opportunity at the end of shore excursions to give feedback (will pass along, but you can use the “share your thought” card in the cabin or give a review on the website)

· Put more information about special events on the Navigator app for smartphones (not sure of the capability but will look into it)

· Stay late in ports that are near the stop for the next day (on-shore entertainment is sometimes limited)

· Get rid of the white buckets of disinfectant solution in the Lido Buffet area (will be addressed during dry-dock; required to meet health regulations)

· Don’t take so many elevators out of service at the same time for varnish maintenance (tried to spread it among elevator banks)

· Position ship on pier so there isn’t so far to walk to disembark (captain said there isn’t much flexibility)

· Provide more Mariner points to singles, who pay almost twice as much, even though they are not eating twice as much food.

And some simply wanted to express opinions:

· Wish the time changes didn’t switch between going back during night and forward during afternoon (Captain said passengers generally like going forward during the day, and most of the audience seemed to agree)

· “My mattress is terrible” (hotel manager said to see him; most of the audience seemed to like their mattresses, which Holland America is known for)

· The carpet color change inconsistency between aft staircase and the others is confusing (hotel manager said if they had enough extra carpet on hand they would make the aft staircase like the others, with the white step at the bottom)

Two subjects brought out the most discussion and reaction. One was specifically about the show time for tonight. The cast singers and dancers had created their own show, rather than one designed by the company, and it was scheduled only for 8 p.m., when some passengers have their dinner seating. Later in the afternoon, the cruise director announced over the public address system that a second show at 10 p.m. was added.

The other reflected some discussion I have heard during the cruise. What else is “grand” about this cruise except for the length? The officers replied that there are a number of things, and specifically mentioned a significantly increased budget for food, supplemental staff for activities and shuttle service in some ports.

Perhaps not everyone got the answers they wanted, but they did express appreciation to the officers who took the time to listen and give replies. Perhaps it’s another feature of a grand cruise.

Thank you so much for your blog and this posting. We are scheduled for the 2018 Grand Asia and are contemplating what necessaries (besides clothing) we need to bring. Is there any particular item or class of items that you would have, or would not have brought on this cruise? Or any item , such as toiletries or OTC medicines, which cannot be easily obtained at various ports? Thank you in advance for your response, understanding that it will probably be after disembarkation.

Interesting paragraph about what makes it a "Grand" cruise. We have been on four of them, Grand Asia in 2010 and 2011 and two half Grand World. One thing that set them apart were the pillow gifts on formal nights. Did you get them on this cruise?

Thank you so much for your blog and this posting. We are scheduled for the 2018 Grand Asia and are contemplating what necessaries (besides clothing) we need to bring. Is there any particular item or class of items that you would have, or would not have brought on this cruise? Or any item , such as toiletries or OTC medicines, which cannot be easily obtained at various ports? Thank you in advance for your response, understanding that it will probably be after disembarkation.

I'll write a blog entry when I'm home about what I took and didn't need and what I wish I had taken. But quickly, I would say a lot of people have gone to drug stores on this cruise to get Mucinex, cough drops and other cold meds. The ship only has a couple of brands. And respiratory illness seems to have made the rounds.

Interesting paragraph about what makes it a "Grand" cruise. We have been on four of them, Grand Asia in 2010 and 2011 and two half Grand World. One thing that set them apart were the pillow gifts on formal nights. Did you get them on this cruise?

I believe we have received the gifts on five of the gala nights (we've had nine so far with one to go). Messenger bag and note cards; umbrella; appetizer dishes (heavy and bulky, many given to crew), carry-on roller bag and power port to charge phones.

The complaints I have heard about the grand cruise not being so grand came from those who have taken grand cruises in the past and miss things. Others who are new to grand cruises think it is fine.

As a former PR executive, I would have better prepared the officers to answer this question. There are a number of things people don't perhaps know are added, but they could only think of a couple. Lots of classes such as watercolor, arts and crafts, tai chi, book club, and some I'm not remembering, just for example.

I believe we have received the gifts on five of the gala nights (we've had nine so far with one to go). Messenger bag and note cards; umbrella; appetizer dishes (heavy and bulky, many given to crew), carry-on roller bag and power port to charge phones.

The complaints I have heard about the grand cruise not being so grand came from those who have taken grand cruises in the past and miss things. Others who are new to grand cruises think it is fine.

As a former PR executive, I would have better prepared the officers to answer this question. There are a number of things people don't perhaps know are added, but they could only think of a couple. Lots of classes such as watercolor, arts and crafts, tai chi, book club, and some I'm not remembering, just for example.

From what you are saying, it really is a "Grand Cruise". Those extras, particularly the guest speakers, are very important.

From what you are saying, it really is a "Grand Cruise". Those extras, particularly the guest speakers, are very important.

My observation is that it is in the eyes of each individual cruiser. Some people don't want to do the classes, etc., but relax on their own, so watercolor and bridge aren't of value.

With two exceptions, I have been disappointed in the guest speakers. Some seem to created powerpoints from wikipedia and just read them. In addition, many things are scheduled at the same couple of times each day, so you are faced with choices at some times and nothing at others. The speakers' presentations are not taped and replayed later in the cabins (like on other cruise lines I have traveled). From what I have learned, HAL doesn't vet the speakers or their topics. So disappointing there was nothing on Japan in the 13 day sea days we had before arriving, for example. JMHO.

My observation is that it is in the eyes of each individual cruiser. Some people don't want to do the classes, etc., but relax on their own, so watercolor and bridge aren't of value.

With two exceptions, I have been disappointed in the guest speakers. Some seem to created powerpoints from wikipedia and just read them. In addition, many things are scheduled at the same couple of times each day, so you are faced with choices at some times and nothing at others. The speakers' presentations are not taped and replayed later in the cabins (like on other cruise lines I have traveled). From what I have learned, HAL doesn't vet the speakers or their topics. So disappointing there was nothing on Japan in the 13 day sea days we had before arriving, for example. JMHO.

That is disappointing. I hope that you express this on the comment card. Better yet, a letter to Mr. Ashford.

Jo, I have enjoyed your blog more than you will ever know. Thank you so much.

I feel sad that you were so poorly prepared for Japan. HAL knows how to do better, and you were surprised with extra sea days at the beginning. In 2012 we were grandly prepared for Japan with two good lecturers. We had opportunities to learn so much. It is sad that you did not receive the same.

However, you did get Kate Ross. :)

Barbara

I feel sad that you were so poorly prepared for Japan. HAL knows how to do better, and you were surprised with extra sea days at the beginning. In 2012 we were grandly prepared for Japan with two good lecturers. We had opportunities to learn so much. It is sad that you did not receive the same.

Barbara

I'm not sure that failure to fully enjoy Japan had less to do with the absence of any lectures (how could HAL have skipped those!) and with the fact that it apparently rained almost constantly throughout Japan. I do hope that Seattle is taking note. Absence of these lectures is inexcusable. Japan was always on the schedule of ports, albeit at a smaller number.

Barbara

Correction: 2014 was the year we had such good lectures before Japan.

Tampa Girl, I had forgot all about the rainy weather to dampen the enjoyment of Japan this year.

Barbara

We were on the Volendam (ahead of you by several days) and we had several ladies as part of what use to be called "On Location" Program do several presentations including a kimono demonstration before we arrived in Japan. And then we had Dr Kam who did talks on the history of Japan, China, Tai Chi etc. Plus, we had Terry Greenberg give quite a few talks on Japan. He was a career diplomat for Canada, I believe. And is married to a Japanese wife. He was excellent. We had him last year on the Volendam and liked him so much we attended his talks again.

Plus, our EXC Central Guide, Josh, did excellent talks on each port.

>>> In response to another comment, yes, the televisions in the cabins will be replaced, and under consideration is a new intelligent TV system that will allow passengers to view accounts and select movies instead of requesting DVDs from the front office. <<<

I wonder if this is the same system they had on the Koningsdam on our Rome-Florida sailing last year.

The movies on demand and account viewing were very nice. But they claimed it was "not possible" to tape talks and put them on the TVs, so if you wanted to hear a presentation, the only choice was to attend in person. Hard to believe.

It occurred to me that the lack of Japan lecturers might have had something to do with the fact that the entertainers and, perhaps, lecturers were left behind when the ship had to bypass Dutch Harbor. Is that a possibility?

Edited by Tampa Girl
misspelling

Thanks to the OP for posting this.

I found the comment “My mattress is terrible” of interest. It is my experience that HAL changed mattress vendors and/or specifications at least 4 or 5 years ago, and the beds went from wonderfully plush to hard and uncomfortable. So, while they were great for many years, they aren't anymore. I've purchased a foam mattress topper that I am taking on my next HAL cruise (on the Amsterdam, in fact) this Christmas. It seemed silly at the time, but it is cheaper to do this than to book a different line that I know has better beds currently. Plus, I like many other aspects of HAL.

I miss the old beds. And yes, I have complained in the past and the cabin stewards have scrounged for things to add to soften the bed, and that helps, but I figure I might as well be proactive this time.

I sailed on the Amsterdam 3 years ago and actually watched HAL load a mattress set on-board with a passenger name and the notation "for world cruise." So I figure bringing a foam pad on board is minor in comparison.