Zaandam lower promenade vs main deck??

MSUcruisers

We were on the LP deck on Zaandam for our South American cruise this past Spring. I really like that deck - you still have a view out your window, but quick and easy access to the outdoor promenade if you want to get around the other side. Main deck would be fine, you would just have to go up one flight of stairs to get outside. Maybe the rooms are larger - I don't know?

Lower Prom outsides are smaller, not a lot, but definitely lengthwise.

Depending on the category you choose, the view can be (category D) somewhat obstructed by the railings on the deck (you look through and over these railings); other Lower Prom categories are partially or fully obstructed view.

Most outsides on the Main Deck have full windows right on the outside of the ship, making the view up-close-and-personal.

Lower Prom cabins have, as has been noted, very easy access to the outside deck.

Lower Prom outsides are smaller, not a lot, but definitely lengthwise.

Main Deck outsides are 196 sq. ft.

Lower Promenade insides are 186 sq. ft. Lower Promenade outsides are a little smaller than the insides.

We have sailed in a LP stateroom 3 times on the 14 day Alaska Itinerary (Amsterdam and Statendam). Loved the location under the Main Dining Room. Easy access to the deck for nature viewing. We book obstructed just beyond the elevators. You don't want to be in the middle section as you will be under the Main Galley which is noisy.

We have sailed on the Zaandam in a LP obstructed, again under the Main Dining Room and found it quiet and well located for access to the deck. These rooms are a good value! You will love the 14 day Alaska Cruise! If the stateroom is slightly smaller, we didn't notice.

Karen

You don't want to be in the middle section as you will be under the Main Galley which is noisy.

The middle section between the mid-ship and aft elevators is under the galley, and I agree could be noisy.

The middle section between the mid-ship and forward elevators, and even up to the forward staircase, is under a much more quiet area, though. IF you want an outside cabin on Lower Promenade, this is a great location.

We are considering a 14-day Alaskan cruise on the Zaandam next summer. What is the difference between ocean view cabins on the lower promenade and the main deck?

My very first cruise was with HAL on the main deck. Then I discovered the LPD and how handy it was. Ever since, all my HAL cruises (except for my retirement cruise in which I booked a balcony cabin) have been on this deck. Love this deck:D

We were on the LP deck on Zaandam for our South American cruise this past Spring. I really like that deck - you still have a view out your window, but quick and easy access to the outdoor promenade if you want to get around the other side. Main deck would be fine, you would just have to go up one flight of stairs to get outside. Maybe the rooms are larger - I don't know?

Just a follow-up question . We're considering a first time cruise on the Zaandam . Am I correct in assuming that LP Cabin windows look directly out onto the Promenade where you can see people walking along the deck ... and they can see directly into your cabin ?

Thanks

When the lads come in in the evening to make up the room they always close the curtains tightly and we augment that with a clip! Actually no one can see in from the walking deck, the windows are well silvered over, but if you have your lights on, and a person wanted to get up close and personal with the window and peer through their hands, they might get a glimpse inside. I've never seen that happen, though!:eek:

We were in 3365 on Zaandam - if you look on the halfacts site you will find my photos of the room.

With the lights on in the Lower Prom cabins you can see in easily from outside if it is dark. We walk the deck a lot after dinner and have noticed time and time again pax sitting watching TV, reading quite clearly.

In the daytime you do have to get your nose right up to the window and shade your eyes to be able to see in. I've tried that with our own LP cabins and it is hard to do then.

Hello Vict0riann and SilvertoGold

Thank you so much for your replies to my question . This is exactly the information I was looking for and it is very helpful . We're considering 14 Day Alaska cruise next year on this ship . What a fantastic itinerary .

Love being part of CruiseCritic . Members' input on various topics is always helpful and much appreciated .

Thanks again

Hello Vict0riann and SilvertoGold

Thank you so much for your replies to my question . This is exactly the information I was looking for and it is very helpful . We're considering 14 Day Alaska cruise next year on this ship . What a fantastic itinerary .

Love being part of CruiseCritic . Members' input on various topics is always helpful and much appreciated .

Thanks again

You are most welcome. Have a great Christmas season and enjoy planning your cruise!

We walked the Lower Prom a lot. There were people with their lights on in the evening and curtains open and one could easily see into the rooms, in particular one man reading in bed. We were in an Ocean view on the Main Deck and loved it, up one flight of stairs and outside.

Have folks on Main Deck ever had problems with noise from the promenade, above? Just curious.

I just upgraded to a picture window ocean view on Dolphin deck for my February sailing to Brazil. I was in a fully obstructed ocean view on Lower Promenade. I had to give up ~$200 in OBC and prepaid gratuities, but I got an additional cabin category bump to compensate. It will be very nice to see out the window.

Are there any disadvantages to Dolphin deck?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Looking forward to the Zaandam 22 day Antartica in a full view Dolphin deck cabin (at the stern where it's quiet).

Was on a LP partial view on the Roterdam, and it was fine. This time I want to gawk at the antartic views and south amrrica as much as I can from every venue possible.

I looked at the Zaandam deck plans and don't quite understand what you mean by a full view Dolphin deck cabin. Does that mean you plan to spend time on the aft balcony. Do you know if there is also an aft balcony on the Main Deck? We plan to go on the Zaandam to Alaska next summer.