A Poor Imitation Of Celebrity

Nowhere in your original post did you use the word despite. Your wife went with low expectations - you say it was about the food but my guess is that she had low expectations in general because nothing was good enough except the food was "decent" to her. I guess she had to say something that was kind of positive - wouldn't want to come across as a snob or something:rolleyes:

If you go into something believing you will not like it, then chances are you will not. And comparing every single thing you like about Celebrity to another cruise line will surely bring you disappointment. There are different cruise lines for a reason - one size does not fit all.

Totally agree.

I think the ops wife was always going to compare everything to Celebrity so was always going to be critical.

The great news here is that your daughter had a blast and your wife learned she prefers Celebrity.
It was the daughters birthday treat so it's great she had a blast and didn't let her mams criticism spoil her cruise.

From my wife’s single experience and objective observations, Royal Caribbean is an inferior cruise line. The cruise was a birthday gift to our daughter and she — not we — chose this cruise based on the destination, shower caps or no and your expectations notwithstanding.

Just sayin’.

You will be missed, though I am sure traditional dining on Celebrity improved with more upbeat and positive conversation the birthday week.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A shower cap was provided only after my wife asked for it, but caps *are* provided on Celebrity cruises — the comparison being the point of the review.

No shower cap, cotton balls or Q tips on Celebrity Silhouette 23.06.18 in balcony cabins.

One poster on this thread is actually on Adventure now, maybe they can confirm that there are hand sanitizers in the usual locations.
He's not very credible, though. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My wife and our adult daughter sailed on Adventure of the Seas on July 6 to the Bahamas. This cruise was our birthday gift to our daughter, who had never been on a cruise before. My wife and I have been sailing almost exclusively over the years with Celebrity. We gave our daughter the choice of a Celebrity cruise to Bermuda or a Royal Caribbean cruise to the Bahamas. Both were for one week and both were on older ships. Our daughter chose the Royal Caribbean cruise because of the itinerary. She and my wife shared a balcony cabin.

Some observations, courtesy of my wife:

1. The public restrooms were filthy. There were no attendants to clean them during daylight hours. The bathroom floors on the pool deck were wet, slippery and dangerous.

2. Hand sanitizers which should be ubiquitous on all cruise ships were no where to be found. Sinks at the entrance to the Windjammer buffet restaurant were not used by all passengers. My wife had to actually ask for hand sanitizers and she was told on one occasion that none were available.

3. Overheated passengers returning to the ship from shore were not offered cold face towels or cold drinks to refresh themselves, and of course, no hand sanitizers were on display. Clearly, cleanliness was not a priority on this ship.

4. My wife described the vaunted on-board entertainment, allegedly a Royal Caribbean strength, as nothing special.

5. On a number of occasions the staff was slow clearing dirty plates from tables in the always crowded Windjammer buffet restaurant.

6. Even though disembarking at the port of Coco Cay (Royal Caribbean’s private island) is a ritual the ship performs on a weekly basis, you would think the crew would have learned how and known better. Thousands of impatient passengers were trapped in small, narrow, overheated, confining exit ways for 90 brutal minutes before being allowed off the ship. There were no water fountains at hand. Not surprisingly, under these extremely uncomfortable conditions the mob of passengers became unruly. My wife said she’s seen better organized riots.

7. My wife noted the door frames in their cabin shower were rusty. Same with the floor surface on the balcony. Curiously, these features did not appear in the Royal Caribbean cruise brochure.

8. Although she was Diamond class by virtue of her past cruises on Celebrity, my wife had to actually ask for basics like a shower cap and lotions and a robe. The cabin had no carafe of ice water.

9. Having purchased a soda package, my wife had to continually ask for straws, which the crew were stingy to hand out allegedly due to environmental concerns — but they were ever present on more expensive alcoholic beverages.

10. To be sure, and in fairness to Royal Caribbean, there were parts of the cruise my wife did enjoy. Contrary to her low expectations, my wife said the food was decent, though selections on the MDR menu were limited. She said her cabin attendant and MDR server were very good. But maybe because we booked this cruise late, the fare was no bargain compared to what we pay on Celebrity (where we normally book early) — and yet she received a lot less for our money. For years we’ve heard Celebrity described as an upscale version of Royal Caribbean (they are both owned by the same parent company), but until my wife’s upsetting experiences on this cruise we were unable to appreciate what upscale really means.

I am Truly sorry for everything you had to put up with from all the cheerleaders. If you dare have a negative opinion, they are vicious attack! This is why I hardly post anything anymore, all Social media sites are the same. Easy to attack people you don’t know, and you aren’t face to face with.

Celebrity and RCCL are not even close in comparison. Also it sounds like you usually cruise Aqua class by the pitcher of water in your room. RC does not have this even in suites.

I find the entertainment worse on Celebrity and we sail Celebrity way more than we do RC.

Food I think is just so so on both lines. But better in Blue and suite dinning.

Hand sanitizer: I have always seen them on both lines, in all dinning events, and also when coming back on board. Cool wash clothes being handed out after a hot day at port, RC just does not do this.

You will not see bathroom attendants handing out towels on RC, but the public restrooms are usually very clean.

Again sorry your wife didn’t enjoy her cruise. She may want to give is one more shot, but on a newer ship.

Happy cruising!

I am Truly sorry for everything you had to put up with from all the cheerleaders. If you dare have a negative opinion, they are vicious attack! This is why I hardly post anything anymore, all Social media sites are the same. Easy to attack people you don’t know, and you aren’t face to face with.

Celebrity and RCCL are not even close in comparison. Also it sounds like you usually cruise Aqua class by the pitcher of water in your room. RC does not have this even in suites.

I find the entertainment worse on Celebrity and we sail Celebrity way more than we do RC.

Food I think is just so so on both lines. But better in Blue and suite dinning.

Hand sanitizer: I have always seen them on both lines, in all dinning events, and also when coming back on board. Cool wash clothes being handed out after a hot day at port, RC just does not do this.

You will not see bathroom attendants handing out towels on RC, but the public restrooms are usually very clean.

Again sorry your wife didn’t enjoy her cruise. She may want to give is one more shot, but on a newer ship.

Happy cruising!

Constructive criticism if warranted is good.

It was the daughters birthday treat and she loved it so surely that was the point of the cruise and a shame the mam couldn't just enjoy the fact her daughter was happy.

OP- Sorry you have met with such ridicule and rudeness on this thread. People seem to be so invested in the reputation of RCCL that it's akin to telling them their baby is ugly when you make any critical remark.

Maybe you should have booked a suite, you never mentioned what cabin class you booked. Suites have more options for ice water, bathroom items, wet towels, bottled water. And you never did say what your daughter thought. We have sailed Celebrity and they kept us waiting on the ramp to board the ship, in Seattle, for over an hour and I had a knee replacement 2 months before. I did not have any Celebrity people come ask if I needed a place to sit down or anything else to help. If I were you, I would go back to Celebrity where you are happy.

OP- Sorry you have met with such ridicule and rudeness on this thread. People seem to be so invested in the reputation of RCCL that it's akin to telling them their baby is ugly when you make any critical remark.

Calling RCI cruisers a bunch of fools as OP did is pretty rude in my book.