Sailed with Phoenix Reisen? Speaking English?

kaymoz

Seeking feedback about the experience for English speaking passengers not conversant in German sailing on Phoenix Reisen!

In summer 2019, the cruiseline HAL is selling it smallest ship, the very popular Prinsendam, to Phoenix Reisen, and she will sail for them as MS Amera. One particular itinerary intrigues me, so I wonder what the experience is like on the Phoenix Reisen ships for those who speak English only/don't speak German.

The Berlitz Guide says that the Company's three existing ships are best suited to German speaking couples, solos, and families with children.

That does not necessarily mean that non German speaking passengers are not catered for.

Why not contact the Company direct, and enquire if they cater on their ocean cruise ships for non German speaking passengers, using their on-line contact form which although in German is straight forward to navigate:

https://www.phoenixreisen.com/kontakt.html

• 1 month later...

Language onboard all Phoenix Reisen ships is definitely German. Crew members do speak English too. But there won´t be any announcements in English, no daily program or anything else (maybe except for emergency announcements).

I´ve only been on their river cruise ships but DH has been on one of the blue water ships (but we are German).

steamboats

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
Just now, exiledowl said:

We're taking the Amera for a world cruise in December. 

Been on it 3 times before and they definitely speak English, in fact the South-East Asian crew members who do all the donkey work seem to prefer to be spoken to in English. 

Anyone else out there travelling with us btw?

Starts in Hamburg December 21st.

Good to hear from you, exiledowl.  When you have sailed on Amera, were you aware of many guests who are English-but-not-German speaking?  I know 'many' is a subjective term, but I just wonder how isolated we would feel....not being conversant in German.

Edited by kaymoz
clarity

Hi Kaymoz, I think I was the only British person on board, apart from some of the entertainment staff but I do speak a bit of German too so managed to communicate if not follow whole conversations.

If you go with Phoenix again it would help to learn a bit .I 've always found if you make the effort to speak another language, the people you talk to will be more receptive .

• 4 months later...

I am also interested in this company, I mean it isn't as if anyone would be prohibited by language or nationality.  They have a really nice itinerary including Croatia/ Serbia/ Romania/ Moldova/ Bulgaria / Slovakia that I don't think I could replicate elsewhere (especially not at 16-nights for €2,399p/p (€150 per night p/p)).  Hard to find much online though..........

• 1 month later...

Phoenix'homepage = phoenixreisen(dot)com gives quite a lot of information.

Amera will be out of dry dock in December. Quite a lot will have done to her - and all the grungy bathtubs will have been been removed, hurray.

We have been on some cruises ( river and sea) with them but personally would prefer Azamara with similar routes and better food, even if meals on Phoenix are ok, and wines and juices are included with the meals. Coffeetime is great with lovely cakes, yum-yum.

Quite a lot of Germans nowadays speak some English, even though with a heavy accent sometimes. And the crew is always happy to converse in English.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1