Prinsendam Transatlantic - March 2019

cruise52

I have followed several of the threads and opinions concerning the Prinsendam.

It has been several years since we cruised HAL (I think almost 10). Our last cruise on HAL was in Alaska and I recall finding the ship absolutely dead at 8:30 pm. I recall one evening being at Guest Services and asking where everyone was and their reply was, "In Bed". :o

My husband and I have sailed Celebrity, Princess & NCL the last several years. Because Morocco is on my husband's bucket list, we booked the TA on the Prinsendam next March. This was booked before we learned of the recent sale of the P'dam.

Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect on the transatlantic crossing as we have never done one on our prior cruises? What entertainment and/or activities are generally available in the evening hours? We do Select or "open" dining and usually eat late. Celebrity does a good job with things like Silent Disco and live music / performers in the various bars and lounges in the evening. What does HAL offer these days? We are not the type that will stay out way late or into the early morning hours, but we usually look for some form of entertainment after dinner and before calling it a day.

Any info would be appreciated.

There's always a show of some sort - the late show is at 10, and it usually takes about 45 minutes. The early show is at 8, and it is crowded, but the late show is much easier to find a good seat. Now, whether you will enjoy the shows, is another matter... But that might keep you up until 10:45. There is usually a "happy hour" in the Crow's Nest at 9 (buy one drink at the regular price, the second same drink is $2), and sometimes there may be a Trivia game around then, too.

Just recently on Zaandam, we found if we went to open seating dinner around 7:45/8, we would be out in good time for the 10 o'clock show. In fact we would frequently listen to the Adagio duo for a while until around 9:45 and there would still be plenty of seats available in the showroom.

I can't think of much else "late-night" on Prinsendam... Of course, once a week, there may be a crew show, usually at 11 p.m., usually a very sparse audience.

Forgot to say, if the piano man is popular, there may be nights when there is a sing-along in the Crow's Nest.

Looking at the P'dam, you need to realize it's a small ship.

But the Adagio is usually VERY good on board. (Usually the best I've heard)

And as Anne stated there is a show. Some are soloists (they can be amazing) and some small groups and some brought from the port if they can.

I honestly have never been on a ship, especially a transatlantic where everyone is in bed at 8:30. Heck late dining takes you past that ;)

The Crow's Nest has a piano player that for many of us can be fun and it stays open until at least 1 am. We've been known to shut it down on a TA.

Port intensive is different - but TA's with lots of sea days, some of us are very much alive and kicking despite rumours to the contrary.

Just be aware, that it's a small ship. There will be no 'Las Vegas' shows or a lot going on. They just don't have the space. But, we have always had a good time on board. ;)

Looking at the P'dam, you need to realize it's a small ship.

But the Adagio is usually VERY good on board. (Usually the best I've heard)

And as Anne stated there is a show. Some are soloists (they can be amazing) and some small groups and some brought from the port if they can.

I honestly have never been on a ship, especially a transatlantic where everyone is in bed at 8:30. Heck late dining takes you past that ;)

The Crow's Nest has a piano player that for many of us can be fun and it stays open until at least 1 am. We've been known to shut it down on a TA.

Port intensive is different - but TA's with lots of sea days, some of us are very much alive and kicking despite rumours to the contrary.

Just be aware, that it's a small ship. There will be no 'Las Vegas' shows or a lot going on. They just don't have the space. But, we have always had a good time on board. ;)

Thanks Jacqui for your input. Yes, we are well aware of the size. I think it's smaller than the first ship I sailed on back in 1988 - Sitmar's Fair Sea. It will definitely be different than what we are accustomed to, but I'm not worried that we won't enjoy ourselves.

We prefer midsize ships, not mega. Bigger isn't always better. I am curious however, what a small ship like the P'dam is like in rough seas? We're booked in one of the original cabins - 156, I think. How are the balconies on this ship compared to the newer and larger ships?

Again, thanks for responding and answering my questions.

Thanks Jacqui for your input. Yes, we are well aware of the size. I think it's smaller than the first ship I sailed on back in 1988 - Sitmar's Fair Sea. It will definitely be different than what we are accustomed to, but I'm not worried that we won't enjoy ourselves.

We prefer midsize ships, not mega. Bigger isn't always better. I am curious however, what a small ship like the P'dam is like in rough seas? We're booked in one of the original cabins - 156, I think. How are the balconies on this ship compared to the newer and larger ships?

Again, thanks for responding and answering my questions.

If there are going to be rough seas, and if I could choose what ship to be on, P'dam would be the ship I would want to be on. She cuts through the waves and rides beautifully.

A few years ago, I was in the Crow's Nest when the Captain gave his noon report. When he said how high the waves were, I ran down to the Promenade deck to see for myself. I would have never known otherwise.

Not sure what you are asking about the balconies. They are more than adequate. If you take a look at halfacts (dot) com, there are a number of pics which might give you an idea of the balconies.

On P-dam at night after the show, it is the Ocean Bar that becomes the focal point for "gatherings," not so much the Crow's Nest

Depends on the crowd, I guess, Copper.

Crow's Nest has been very busy on our cruises. But we had some excellent piano men so that may be why ;)

Re: Prinsendam's stability in seas. Last year we did the Grand Mediterranean, which involved crossing the Atlantic in both directions. There were days where we had fairly heavy seas and "brisk" breezes. P'dam plowed through the seas very nicely. Occasionally, there would be some buffeting if the seas were running from the sides, but nothing that was really bothersome. I have a slight tendency toward queasiness in heavy seas, but--if I remember correctly--I took motion pills only once in 8 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I are also booked on this cruise due to the itinerary. Morocco is also on my husbands bucket list. We have never sailed in Holland America. We are sailing on HA in Nov on the Veendam to Cuba. We look forward to our TA in March.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You should find the Prinsendam, at nearly 39,000 tons, considerably larger than the Fairsea, which was just about 22,000 tons. Interestingly, both carried about the same number of passengers (after several Fairsea refits).

I fondly remember cruising on the Fairwind (many times) and Fairsea (twice) -- loved the Italian crew, the dedicated brick oven pizzeria, the great service in the MDR. But they were definitely small ships.

It's funny -- I have an upcoming cruise on Prinsendam and I imagine I will find the ship to be large based on my current cruise line of choice, whose only ship carries about 350 passengers when completely full.

Re: Prinsendam's stability in seas. Last year we did the Grand Mediterranean, which involved crossing the Atlantic in both directions. There were days where we had fairly heavy seas and "brisk" breezes. P'dam plowed through the seas very nicely. Occasionally, there would be some buffeting if the seas were running from the sides, but nothing that was really bothersome. I have a slight tendency toward queasiness in heavy seas, but--if I remember correctly--I took motion pills only once in 8 weeks.

She is definitely one of the better Sea Ships I have been on. We did have some lively action in August when we left Amsterdam and entered the North Sea later in evening. A combination of high speed (17+ knots), 3-6m seas and a 35+ knot wind coming directly abeam made for some good roll as well as the normal pitching. The DW's patch had not quite kicked in enough as yet, so she did not have a real good night.