Half Moon Cay and Stingrays

Giantfan13

We are scheduled to arrive on Half Moon Cay at the beginning of Nov, 2018. We were looking at the Carnival excursions and one was a stingray encounter for about $40PP. Sounds reasonable. But, on reading the description, it says they take you on a tram to the area where the sting rays are. My question is this, can one do this themselves? We have never been to HMC so we do not know very much about the island except it is very beautiful. Overall, we are not beach people, so we look for something else to do, but we have done swimming with the ray in Grand Cayman.

So, on HMC is this tram available to anyone who wants to venture to another part of the island? And, if so, can one just go and have an encounter with the sting rays on their own?

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers

Len

The trams have assignments. They take people to their cabanas and villas. The transport people with limited mobility. You can actually walk to the stingrays...it is close. But you wouldn't be able to participate in the activities, as you haven't paid for the excursion. Been awhile since we were at the Stingrays, but don't think you can see much from outside the enclosed area.

The trams don't do "island tours", last I heard.

Thanks Bruce.

I didn't know how the Sting Ray think worked. So it is more of an enclosed area where they do the 'tour'?

As for the tram, I do walk with a cane and we usually like to try and get away from the crowds, as they say. Can we use the tram to sort of fulfill that desire?

As I said, we have never been here, we do not snorkel, rather opting for a nice palm tree to sit under and relax in some peace and quiet. Are there certain sections of the island where we can accomplish this and would the tram get us there?

appreciate the advice.

Cheers'

Len

The sting rays are in an enclosed area.

You should be able to get away from the crowds farther down the beach. I would think you could ride a tram and get close.

Trees are more like pine trees than palm, but still a great day to sit in the shade and relax.

The sting rays are in an enclosed area.

You should be able to get away from the crowds farther down the beach. I would think you could ride a tram and get close.

Trees are more like pine trees than palm, but still a great day to sit in the shade and relax.

Agree. Plenty of lounges, but getting shade requires some effort.

• 1 month later...

My daughter did the Stingray excursion a few years ago when we were at HMC. While you don’t have to snorkel to see and feed the stingrays, it’s a definite advantage. I don’t think the excursion would be worth your time or money if you didn’t also snorkel in the area.

If you would just like to watch the excursion, you can do that at a distance st no charge. There was a pavilion outside of the lagoon where we stood and watched. (My daughter thought I’d enjoy seeing it, so we went back after lunch to watch.) But getting there on foot could be an issue if you have mobility issues.

• 4 weeks later...

260047ca479d02259f75cb30dbf98d57.jpgb1721d0e84cade437b844f061095ba3a.jpga373ff20044d7e405f5252c0e5db05bc.jpgd7f08b6596b91b7f36922afda3a7b393.jpg5c506ade4c2802ed7be52671aa07b174.jpg

496f287d61b05323f679a5da6c7d8753.jpg

As you can see there is a fence to keep the sting rays enclosed. We decided to walk the island when we were there in May. It really wasn’t that far and it’s on a paved road. We got there early and the guys were mending the fence getting ready for the excursion. There was a bathroom and platform to sit and watch. I included the map so you could see the walking trail. We did have a tram pass us but they weren’t going to pick us up, they had a set schedule of excursions. We also walked around to the kayaking area and saw a garden for the people that stay on the island. We met the gardener and he showed us around and let us have some fresh vegetables! That was our highlight talking to the gardener. We finished the day with a lounge on the beach under a tree. Last time we went in November, we headed out early and found hammocks and hung out there. By the time we got to the beach in May, all the hammocks were taken.

I understand you have a cane, and it may be a long walk for you. But honesty, I would feel short changed to do the sting ray excursion there at HMC. I felt bad for the rays in that tiny enclosure. They did had conch, starfish and sea cucumber friends. Grand Cayman would be so much better as what I understand they’re free but know they get fed. Ours was cancelled because of wind so I don’t know.

I did a picture review while on the Glory if you want to see more pictures [emoji4]

• 2 months later...

I went to the stingray sandbar off Grand Cayman years ago.  It was really fun.  These are wild stingrays who come to this very shallow area where they get fed squid bits by tourists.  I'm not saying this was the ultimate in authenticity, but it was fun.