Oriana balcony - is midships MUCH better than aft

PrincessPete

Hi all, when we booked a 28 nighter on Oriana next February the only balcony cabins available were quite a way aft. One has now become available pretty much midships for a cost of £400 each extra.

I know about the vibration issues on Oriana at the aft end - would anyone be able to comment whether the midships cabin is likely to be a MUCH smoother ride?

I won't ask if anyone thinks it is worth the extra cost as that is obviously a decision only we can make - but it would be interesting to see if previous passengers can comment on the difference vibration wise.

Many thanks for any help.

Kind regards.

Peter

We always go for an aft balcony on Oriana as its easy to nip out onto the tiered aft decks and cannot remember any problems this May. So easy to nip back to make a coffee or get something from the cabin.

B DECK :I will add if you are starboard side they do smoke on that side and sometime the smell does drift down the corridor. Especially if there is a group people smoking.

If you feel you'll be more comfortable mid ship and are prepared to pay the extra for the peace of mind. It is down to personal choice.

Edited by Scorpio41
add detail

We recently had B216 on Oriana for 19 nights... which is fairly well aft. We experienced no particular vibration other than the normal you get with all the ships... there is a kind of muted throb on most of them.

Having said that we were exceptionally lucky with calm seas most of the time, but Capt did put his foot down on the accelerator quite a bit.

The noise from the aircon... now that is another story!

You dont state which cabin you booked... or which is now available... might be able to help further...?

Many thanks Mystical Mother. We are currently booked in B231 which is about 4 cabins further aft than you were and on the starboard side. The option that has come up is B194 which is 9 cabins further forward than you were.

I am reassured by your comments as there have been a lot of adverse comments about vibration aft on the Oriana over the years but it does not sound as though it was unbearable for you.

Any other general comments about the ship and your cruise - hope you had a great time and thank you for taking the trouble to reply.

Kind regards.

Peter

I don't think you will have a problem on B deck.

I only felt the vibration in the Pacific lounge. However I moved across the aisle and there was no problem at all. My husband thought I was daft at first but after we had moved he agreed the difference was remarkable.