Disney from Port Canaveral

moosegirl

My Mother (68) and I (49) will be sailing out of Port Canaveral on April 6 and are planning to stay for 2 nights prior to sailing. We would love to spend a day at Magic Kingdom but do not want to stay at a hotel right at Disney. Where is the best place to stay? Orlando, Winter Garden or somewhere else? We will be depending on shuttles or cabs. Do any hotels have shuttles to and from Orlando Airport as well as to and from Disney? Is there a special price at Disney if you have no intention of riding the rides, just walking around? Also, what are the must-do things at MK for 2 mature, but young-at - heart adults? We have Never been there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

you are asking a HUGE question here ... it sounds like you've done little research on a Disney World visit and going 'unprepared' is not a particularly good idea. Let me try to give some opening thoughts:

My Mother (68) and I (49) will be sailing out of Port Canaveral on April 6 and are planning to stay for 2 nights prior to sailing. We would love to spend a day at Magic Kingdom but do not want to stay at a hotel right at Disney. Where is the best place to stay? Orlando, Winter Garden or somewhere else? We will be depending on shuttles or cabs.

where to stay is very subjective and there are literally thousands of choices. if depending on shuttles and cabs the nearer the better IMO and this can even suggest reconsider the "not inside" decision as 'inside' can mean you get to use Disney Express from MCO to WDW (free) and book Disney transport from hotel to pier (not free). This is not least cost but might be least effort .... there are Days Inn just outside the gates .... and the Gaylord .... every price range is near by.

Do any hotels have shuttles to and from Orlando Airport as well as to and from Disney?

Many hotels near WDW have shuttles to there. Many hotels near the airport have shuttles to the airport. Both is less common - altho WDW <inside> hotels do it .... and you pay for it in other ways .....

Is there a special price at Disney if you have no intention of riding the rides, just walking around?

NO .... one price for admission .... well that's not true, there are dozens of prices depending on buying multiple days and multiple parks but anyway you cut it the price to get in is the same if you ride or don't

Also, what are the must-do things at MK for 2 mature, but young-at - heart adults? We have Never been there.

- many attractions are not 'rides' but are more 'shows' or even if a ride it is a very gentle ride thru an exhibit.

- the train gives a good overall view of the park

- Hall of Presidents is one I often have thought they should make adult only as kids lose interest

- haunted mansion is gentle and worth the now dated special effects ....

- jungle cruise is a classic

- Pirates too ... there is one small drop in the ride ... nothing you can't handle (no seatbelt required)

- is MK the best choice for you? Would you enjoy EPCOT more?

You might want to explore a site that is more Disney centric like DISBOARDS <dot> COM

Go to your local library or Amazon and pick up a copy of the Unofficial Guide to WDW - even a couple year old edition will give you LOTS of info, touring plans, hotel info, etc.

One day at WDW can be EXPENSIVE, but if you've never been will probably check a big box on your life list.

I would rethink your plans and look at staying on the property or as close by as possible - how much of your one day do you want to spend on shuttles? :confused: Disney has some inexpensive properties (All Star, etc.) and there are many nearby hotels in the Lake Buena Vista or Kissimmee area that will shuttle you to/from WDW-- or rent a car for a couple of days and drop it off at PC when you are ready to cruise -- all of the car rental agencies in PC/Cocoa Beach will shuttle you to the port.

Thank you for your responses, I chose to start my research here, hoping that maybe somebody else has done this and could steer me in the right direction. We don't really want to spent over $500/night to stay right at The Magic Kingdom. Disney for me is a day trip, not a destination, I literally want to see Cinderella's Castle, the parade and fireworks. That's it. Maybe my question was too vague, but a forum is for exactly this purpose, asking for input from those in the know.

Thank you for your responses, I chose to start my research here, hoping that maybe somebody else has done this and could steer me in the right direction. We don't really want to spent over $500/night to stay right at The Magic Kingdom. Disney for me is a day trip, not a destination, I literally want to see Cinderella's Castle, the parade and fireworks. That's it. Maybe my question was too vague, but a forum is for exactly this purpose, asking for input from those in the know.

Sent from my iPad using Forums[/quote

If I were you, I'd stay onsite. Since it's your first time, won't you want to immerse yourself in the magic?? lol With free transportation from the airport to their hotels, they sure do make it easy. Check out any of the All Star properties, including Pop Century, or Art of Animation. My personal favorite in this category is Art of Animation. It's just so adorable there! There is an on-site food court, which isn't exactly cheap, but it's less than a Disney sit down restaurant. If you are only going to spend 1 day there, make it at Magic Kingdom. There are plenty of nice and gentle attractions there. My daughter used to be a Jungle Cruise Skipper, so that's a personal favorite! You'll have to make arrangements to get from Disney to the port. You could just rent a car and drive yourself. I'd be glad to answer any other questions you have as I have been lucky enough to have been there dozens of times. HTH:)

Seems like you haven't done enough research and you are making a lot of assumptions, negatively.

Disney has value resorts like All Star Sports. There is no reason you can't stay on property. Consider they also offer transportation to the parks whoch reduces your costs vs cabs.

Check out the value resort offerings. Buy your tickets to magic kingdom, and enjoy. You are way overthinking.

I feel like I have to defend myself for asking what I felt was not an outrageous question. I admitted above that I started my research HERE, on this forum, thinking that people would help as They have experience in a place I have not travelled...is that not what this site is for? The hotels at Magic Kingdom are very expensive so that's why we wanted to stay off-site. We are not comfortable driving in cities we aren't familiar with, thus the taxi and shuttle issue. I will do more research as suggested.

People are offering you help and information, why the attitude on your part?

First, as some have already said, there are hotels at Disney World (not the Magic Kingdome, that is just one of the parks at Disney World) that are often quite reasonable priced such as the three All Star Resorts or Art of Animation, etc. Also, look at the hotels on Hotel Plaza Blvd near Disney Springs. They also have bus service to the parks.

There are quite a few hotels just outside the airport that have free shuttles to/from the airport and are also serviced by inexpensive shuttles to the cruise port. Cortrans for example charges $20 per person one way from many hotels to Port Canaveral. They have a shuttle to the airport after your cruise, also $20 per person.

Staying near the airport will cost more for transportation to WDW so staying at WDW may turn out to be less expensive than you think when you factor that in. However, transportation to the port may (probably) be more expensive.

There are hotels in the area that have shuttles to WDW but then you pay more for your transportation to the port.

So, if the main issue is cost you will need to research the different options individually and add up the overall cost for each.

1. Buy the book "Unofficial Guide to WDW" or pick up a copy at your library

2. Stay on the property in one of the less expensive hotels - when you factor in transport to/from MCO it's the best deal since you do not want to drive

3. Use a shared shuttle from MCO to PC - Cortrans starts at about $20 per person and there are many others often suggested on this board.

4. Enjoy your day at the magic kingdom and do not skip the it's a small world ride - it should be perfect for you and your mother.

Orlando is currently my home and I admittedly spend more time at or near the attractions than I should!

I picked up a few popular guide books mostly to learn about "hidden" tricks and tips to avoid the crowds as I travel back and forth.

While not a waste of money, the books are impossible to digest!

For example, the "Unofficial Guide" is now almost 800 pages! The book is simply overwhelming. At what point does too much information become a problem in itself?

While there's good info in there somewhere, it is ridiculous to devote 2 pages to comparing pillows at various Disney hotels. Come on, man!

So I am with the OP when she is just asking for basic information to get started.

My question to the OP is this - what is your actual budget for the two nights? Not knowing your budget make things a lot more complicated.

Edited by SteerageJoe

Thank you Steerage Joe...that's exactly my point, Disney is not a main destination for me...I literally just want to go through the gate, watch the parade, take pics of Cinderella's Castle, watch the fireworks and leave. If I was staying for a week you bet I would read books. I do like to research and plan ahead which is exactly why I came to this very forum 6 months before our trip! When I asked about not-to-miss things for young at heart people, I wanted to know if you could only be there for a day only, what should we try to seek out. My budget would be $200/night ( I am Canadian so that's close to $250 for me! [emoji23]) I have now researched enough to know that there are budget properties at Disney and they provide transportation to get to Magic Kingdom. I thank everyone for their help.

I am a DVC member and the value resort can be realy cheap depending when you are going you can get the magical express from airport to the resort and when there busses to all parks

Even if you just do a monorail trip to all the hotels it gives a good feeling of being in Disney

i have see the prices on the value resorts as cheap as $180 a nite and even cheaper.

So google disneyworld resorts and see what the prices are I think this would be your best bet

Good luck

Just checked Orbitz for your dates. THE Disney All Star resorts are listed for $152.00 a night for your two dates. Also the nice Coronado Springs resorts was $ 173.00. There were a number of 4 star resorts within 8 miles of the Magic Kingdom that are under $140 a night with free bus transportation to the parks. Spend some time researching their site. Any Disney resorts will have free transportation to the hotel from the airport saving you $25-$40 cab fees also you can catch a bus at your hotel for

Port Canaveral. Charlie

You could get 2 person tent at Walmart AND pay for a campsite at Disney Fort Wilderness for less than $100

Free boat to Magic Kingdom, too :)

Those were the days! More like $150 a night for April 2019 tax included! That's some expensive tent camping!

If the point is to experience the magic of Disney for the day, I wouldn't even consider an off-site hotel considering the good rates at the Value resorts on property and excellent free transportation.

Those were the days! More like $150 a night for April 2019 tax included! That's some expensive tent camping!

Wow! I didn't check April. But we usually pay less than that for our Premium site. We go several times per year. Must be a busy weekend for tent sites to be over $100 I imagine. Spring Break?

My Mother (68) and I (49) will be sailing out of Port Canaveral on April 6 and are planning to stay for 2 nights prior to sailing. We would love to spend a day at Magic Kingdom but do not want to stay at a hotel right at Disney. Where is the best place to stay? Orlando, Winter Garden or somewhere else? We will be depending on shuttles or cabs. Do any hotels have shuttles to and from Orlando Airport as well as to and from Disney? Is there a special price at Disney if you have no intention of riding the rides, just walking around? Also, what are the must-do things at MK for 2 mature, but young-at - heart adults? We have Never been there.

Have you looked at the Swan / Dolphin? They are Starwood (now Marriott) properties near Epcot that offer the benefits of a Disney hotel without the Disney price.

I think we will book one of the All-Star hotels and use Disney's shuttles to get around. Thank you everyone for the feedback, I do appreciate it.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Forums mobile app

Please come back after your trip and let us know how it all worked out. Have a great vacation in WDW and a great cruise!

Have you looked at the Swan / Dolphin? They are Starwood (now Marriott) properties near Epcot that offer the benefits of a Disney hotel without the Disney price.

I also would suggest you take a look at Swan / Dolphin. Nice hotels, more adult oriented. Beautiful grounds and you can stroll around the beautiful lake. Free shuttle to the Magic Kingdom and if you get bitten by the Disney bug and want to see more, you can actually walk to Epcot and Hollywood Studios from there. Or you can take a boat ride to these parks from the hotels (no charge). I personally love Epcot and think it's a great way to spend a day or part of a day.

Right inside the entrance to the Magic Kingdom you'll find a train. I would suggest you ride it--it circles the park and will allow you to see some sights and get a feel for the layout. There are several stops but you don't have to get off if you don't want to. It will bring you back to where you started, then you can walk down main street to the castle.

As someone suggested, many "rides" are actually more like attractions--nothing like a thrill ride or roller coaster. I love to ride the kid rides in Fantasy land, just beyond the Castle.

Just a thought for you: if you invest in the Park Hopper option, you can actually hop on the monorail and travel between the Magic Kingdom and Epcot--visiting both parks in the same day.

There's also a place called Disney Springs (formerly Downtown Disney). No entrance fees, and there is dining and shopping there. A great way to get some Disney mojo without paying an arm and a leg to get in.

I hope you enjoy your visit to WDW!