Embarkation questions

gcarney22

Our first cruise is on Celebrity Summit out of San Juan which departs at 20:30 and I expect we will get to the ship around 15:00-16:00.

Will our room be ready at this time?

We will have a cabin bag and a suitcase each. If the room is ready should we take the cabin bags on board with us, or if not should we check them and just take a small amount of carry on?

Also, is there a welcome drink and is this complementary?

Your room will be ready by about 1:00 pm and all you need to carry with you is your carry-on with medication, etc., your allowed bottles of wine (one per passenger) and most importantly your documents, including your boarding pass and your passport or other ID. You will leave your luggage at the terminal. A porter will take them from you and put them on the ship. We usually tip them a couple of dollars per bag, but it's not necessary. Your luggage will be delivered directly to your cabin later in the day. It can take quite a while for them to show up, but don't panic they will arrive.

Not only is it not recommended that you bring on your big suitcase, but in fact you are not allowed to do so. What you carry onboard must fit through the security screeners, which are essentially the same size as at the airports. It is only upon disembarkation that you have the option to walk off with all your luggage if you chose that option.

Just for clarity you may bring your carry on luggage with you (and I've never seen the size gauges for those like you see in airports). You must give your suitcases to the porters at the port. Your carry on pieces and anything you take aboard will be placed on the belt and be put through Xray,(just like an airport) and you will walk through the same type of machine you see in airports.

When you step aboard there are usually staff right there as you step onto the ship with trays of mimosas and bubbly. Those are complimentary. If any "drinks of the day" are offered elsewhere, there is an additional charge for them unless you have the appropriate beverage package.

Your room will be ready by about 1:00 pm and all you need to carry with you is your carry-on with medication, etc., your allowed bottles of wine (one per passenger) and most importantly your documents, including your boarding pass and your passport or other ID.

For those who travel solo or for those sailing in a cabin with occupancy by more than two adults of drinking age, the wine allowance is two 750 ml bottles per stateroom rather than one bottle per adult guest... I believe that the allowance you cite is used by some cruise lines [Princess comes to mind] within the Carnival family of brands...

I’m going to add my question to this post. We are also sailing out of San Juan on the Summit with the 20:30 departure time. Are there any events, tours, or other things that are early on embarkation day? Trying to decide if we board as early as possible to take advantage of those. TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’m going to add my question to this post. We are also sailing out of San Juan on the Summit with the 20:30 departure time. Are there any events, tours, or other things that are early on embarkation day? Trying to decide if we board as early as possible to take advantage of those. TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Nope. Explore the ship and chill out.

A couple more questions.

Cruising out of San Juan @ 20:30 - any idea what time will the muster drill be? We have booked the main dining room for 6pm with a view to watch the view of San Juan as we depart. Any problem with this plan?

We are on the flexible dining, can't remember what it's called, but I've made reservations for 8pm most nights. Does this mean we will be seated in the same seats, with the same waiter etc. potentially at a communal table. We are looking to eat privately with just the two of us, don't mind who waits on us, have I done the wrong thing by booking this for 8pm most nights?

Finally, can you order from the MDR menu for room service on Celebrity or just whats on the standard room service menu?

17 hours ago, gcarney22 said:

A couple more questions.

Cruising out of San Juan @ 20:30 - any idea what time will the muster drill be? We have booked the main dining room for 6pm with a view to watch the view of San Juan as we depart. Any problem with this plan?

We are on the flexible dining, can't remember what it's called, but I've made reservations for 8pm most nights. Does this mean we will be seated in the same seats, with the same waiter etc. potentially at a communal table. We are looking to eat privately with just the two of us, don't mind who waits on us, have I done the wrong thing by booking this for 8pm most nights?

Finally, can you order from the MDR menu for room service on Celebrity or just whats on the standard room service menu?

Can anyone help with answers to these questions, thanks?

21 hours ago, gcarney22 said:

A couple more questions.

Cruising out of San Juan @ 20:30 - any idea what time will the muster drill be? We have booked the main dining room for 6pm with a view to watch the view of San Juan as we depart. Any problem with this plan?Muster drill will be about an hour or so before departure. The dining rooms and restaurants close down during muster. When we sailed from San Juan, we scheduled our dinner for closer to sailing time in order to watch sail away

We are on the flexible dining, can't remember what it's called, but I've made reservations for 8pm most nights. Does this mean we will be seated in the same seats, with the same waiter etc. potentially at a communal table. We are looking to eat privately with just the two of us, don't mind who waits on us, have I done the wrong thing by booking this for 8pm most nights?Flexible dining on X is called Select dining. You may request a table for two and to be seated in the same area with the same wait staff. Sometimes you may be given a beeper and have a wait for that, however since 8:00 PM is later, I don't think you'll encounter that.

Finally, can you order from the MDR menu for room service on Celebrity or just whats on the standard room service menu?You can order from the MDR menu for room service during the regular MDR hours. Outside of those hours, it's the room service menu.