Travel fins?

beckyjohns

We just ordered some "travel" fins through Amazon - price was right for the amount we will use them. They are shorter and wider than full size fins. Probably not as powerful, but I'm not planning to do any deep snorkeling with them, just paddling around for fun so they seem like just the thing for us. I will still take my thin booties (sock-like ones) to avoid rubbing/abraded skin issues.

I got the US Divers Trek Travel Fin and my husband got Cressi Palau Short Fins/Mask combo. They are not full foot fins (which would make them longer and harder to pack). Plus much easier to get correct fit with the adjustable heel strap. They are definitely not high grade equipment, but will work for us for the amount of use they'll get on the trip and the price was quite reasonable.

I would urge caution using travel fins in places with strong currents, such as Cozumel.

Kat, I am travelling to Cozumel and am getting ready to buy my snorkel gear (only have snorkeled in rental gear before) will the short fins not give me enough power when snorkeling in Cozumel?

I would urge caution using travel fins in places with strong currents, such as Cozumel.

No worries about snorkeling in strong current with these. I've been using them for a few years - Fiji, Hawaii, Cozumel, etc. Work just as well as full fins for me. In fact, when we were in Hawaii in September, we were snorkeling down the beach from a bunch of surfers, so water had a good surge going, but didn't have any problems.

I too have the open heel, because lots of shore entries are rocky, so easier to walk into the water in dive booties and then put on fins.

Had needed a new mask and snorkel, so picked up a complete set with the travel fins at Target. No need to spend a lot of money. I do a lot of snorkeling, and these budget friendly options are fine and last a long time.

• 6 months later...

I couldn't imagine using travel fins where there was even a little current. I've got strong legs (twenty five years of standing in retail has few benefits, but strong legs: check)...but, I cramped really badly when trying to move in a current with shorter travel fins. I had to kick so hard and fast. Mind you, the water around Cape Cod moves at quite a clip.

Instead I have found my favorite fins being by Mares: either the Volo Race (kind of long but a really easy kick) or the Wave (normal length and sort of easy kick but good power).

I've just noticed that JetBlue allows scuba/snorkel gear as a carry on item...I'm going to take along my own fins, as a carry on, because I love them so much.

We have travel fins and have never had a problem in any current. They work really great because of the way they are designed (wider than normal fins).

Here's what I have:

P5120100-M.jpg

I got them online and they are US Divers. I love my set. DH has some too. :)

Archived