Guarantee cabin - anyone not been assigned?

jimbug

Hi, cruising the Med on the Royal on 8/26. We have a balcony guarantee, with no assignment yet, 18 days out. I'm not surprised, as I've been reading on many FB threads about folks getting the infamous "move over" offers--very GENEROUS "move over" offers for this and adjacent sailings. So, I am not expecting a cabin assignment until very close or until day of sailing.

That said, for my own curiosity...has anyone actually gotten to the pier without a guarantee assignment and been told, "I'm sorry, we actually don't have a room for you!" :o:o What did they do? I'm assuming that there will always be at least one cabin that doesn't make it to the pier on time for check-in and look, there's a cabin...one can only hope it's an amazing suite (yeah, right)...but anecdotally, I am just wondering how many out there have experienced something like this. (And no, I truly do not expect this to happen to me.)

People sometimes arrive at the pier without knowing which cabin they have. However, if they had checked the personalizer before leaving they would almost certainly have a room assignment listed there. It may not get listed until the last night before the cruise but it really should be there by then. If not, check the morning you are sailing.

If you don't have your cabin info they will tell you where you are located when you check in. If you have paid for your cruise there will be a cabin for you.

Do not know how many times this topic has been addressed but if you have a guarantee you will have a room. They do not sleep guests in lifeboats, on the deck or in the crew quarters. Those in fear of being left at the dock should take a deep breath and relax. Latest for me was less than 48 hours from sailing. Picked up my room assignment while changing planes in Chicago.

Do not know how many times this topic has been addressed but if you have a guarantee you will have a room. They do not sleep guests in lifeboats, on the deck or in the crew quarters. Those in fear of being left at the dock should take a deep breath and relax. Latest for me was less than 48 hours from sailing. Picked up my room assignment while changing planes in Chicago.

^^^^^^ This, and/or not book guarantee cabins

For those who did not read my post fully, I am not concerned about not having a cabin. I am just morbidly curious about any of those who this might have happened to and looking for stories, just for fun. There was someone on a Facebook thread in a Princess group who said this did, in fact, happen to them, and they had to wait until everyone boarded before they were assigned a cabin. I was just curious how often this happened (I assume not often, but I also assume it *does* indeed happen on occasion!) :)

Twice I have boarded the ship without knowing my cabin number.
Please tell us more. How long after you boarded did you find out?

We've left home a couple of times without a cabin. Once we found out in Fairbanks on the second day of our cruise tour--in time to send one large piece of luggage ahead to meet us at the ship. The other time we found out in Seattle a couple of days before the cruise.

Have a friend (not on CC) who this happened too, they got a much better cabin but did not find out until check in, that made it very difficult for their luggage tags. They printed blank ones and had to marker in the cabin number. They were very happy for the upgrade especially after weeks of stress that they would get to port and find out they didn't have any cabins left for them!

Hi, cruising the Med on the Royal on 8/26. We have a balcony guarantee, with no assignment yet, 18 days out. I'm not surprised, as I've been reading on many FB threads about folks getting the infamous "move over" offers--very GENEROUS "move over" offers for this and adjacent sailings. So, I am not expecting a cabin assignment until very close or until day of sailing.

That said, for my own curiosity...has anyone actually gotten to the pier without a guarantee assignment and been told, "I'm sorry, we actually don't have a room for you!" :o:o What did they do? I'm assuming that there will always be at least one cabin that doesn't make it to the pier on time for check-in and look, there's a cabin...one can only hope it's an amazing suite (yeah, right)...but anecdotally, I am just wondering how many out there have experienced something like this. (And no, I truly do not expect this to happen to me.)

You will have a room.....

A GTY......Usually can be/assigned sometime/anytime up to a day or 2 before your cruise. Very rarely assigned at the pier. You can access bag tags/travel summary on the Princess cruise personalizer on the Princess website up to sailing day. The cabin assignment will be noted there.

Sometimes people think it was assigned at the pier but had they checked the personalizer the night before their cruise they may have seen the cabin assignment at that time. Hope this makes sense.

I have had four guaranteed cabins. As I recall, 2 of 4 I knew about five days from the cruise. The other two the night before.

I was upgraded from BA to mini-suites (forget the cat.) for the late assigned cabins. Don't place bets on this being the norm, but I was happy for those 7 and 10 day cruises!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Have a friend (not on CC) who this happened too, they got a much better cabin but did not find out until check in, that made it very difficult for their luggage tags. They printed blank ones and had to marker in the cabin number. They were very happy for the upgrade especially after weeks of stress that they would get to port and find out they didn't have any cabins left for them!

Actually, they could have shown up at the pier with blank or no luggage tags and had the longshoreman clerks write in their cabin number as there is always a person there with the current passenger manifest that was printed after the final passenger list is completed. Most people don't realize that but that is the case.

Tom

Please tell us more. How long after you boarded did you find out?

We've left home a couple of times without a cabin. Once we found out in Fairbanks on the second day of our cruise tour--in time to send one large piece of luggage ahead to meet us at the ship. The other time we found out in Seattle a couple of days before the cruise.

When we checked in it was printed on our sail and sign cards. I had written TBA on our luggage tags:confused:

Actually, they could have shown up at the pier with blank or no luggage tags and had the longshoreman clerks write in their cabin number as there is always a person there with the current passenger manifest that was printed after the final passenger list is completed. Most people don't realize that but that is the case.

Tom

I asked him why he didn't give his luggage to a porter and his reply was because he was afraid his bags would get on the ship and not him hehehehe But then he said he didn't try because he didn't have a cabin number on them and didn't know the porters would have a cabin number list, and that they would refuse to take them with improper cruise tags.

I asked him why he didn't give his luggage to a porter and his reply was because he was afraid his bags would get on the ship and not him hehehehe But then he said he didn't try because he didn't have a cabin number on them and didn't know the porters would have a cabin number list, and that they would refuse to take them with improper cruise tags.

He should actually go with the porters to the location (usually a table somewhere in the luggage area) where the longshore clerks are located to insure that the correct person's stateroom gets put on the bags and that all of his bags get tags on them. The reason I say that is that there is always the possibility that there may be a similarly named person on the same cruise (he's named Robert C Smith and there is also a Bob Smith or a Robert D Smith on the cruise, neither the porter nor the clerk would know which was which.) Shouldn't take but a couple of minutes and will still save him the hassle of handling bags. <g>

Tom

I sail on Saturday on the Royal and haven't received my room yet. Let's say the luggage desk doesn't have my room # yet, are you allowed to check in with luggage? I hate to leave my luggage without a cabin # on the tags. I hope it doesn't get to that point and from what I have read on these boards, I know a room will be assigned. I had no choice but to book a guarantee when I booked in June.

I sail on Saturday on the Royal and haven't received my room yet. Let's say the luggage desk doesn't have my room # yet, are you allowed to check in with luggage? I hate to leave my luggage without a cabin # on the tags. I hope it doesn't get to that point and from what I have read on these boards, I know a room will be assigned. I had no choice but to book a guarantee when I booked in June.

Luggage Desk ?

No Desk .

You will have porters at the pier where you drop your luggage . They will have the ships manifest that will include your cabin # .

It would be very very very rare if they did not have your cabin number at check in, but if they didn't, I dont think you would be able to get on the ship, if you do get on the ship, they would make sure your luggage did too!

Don't worry be happy.

• 1 year later...

best upgrade ever, night before, looking online, ordinary balcony to huge suite with neptune. sqawks in the room. This was about 10pm in Fort Lauderdale. Just sayin. We're booked for Sep 8, Guaranteed Cat F. No expectations but who knows. J

best upgrade ever, night before, looking online, ordinary balcony to huge suite with neptune. sqawks in the room. This was about 10pm in Fort Lauderdale. Just sayin. We're booked for Sep 8, Guaranteed Cat F. No expectations but who knows. J

Neptune?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums