Scammed by Florida taxi drivers

xcell

So.i guess it's my fault...should have pushed my point but twice been to Florida, once in Miami and today, in Fort Lauderdale and both times scammed by the taxi driver.

Miami is $28 flat rate from port to airport, no matter the size but after taking a minivan taxi, he said I owed home $35.

Today, from port to airport, same thing...but this time signs said no flat rate, everything is metered. Once in the car the guy said since we are 6 it's $35. When questioned about the meter (we are already in the car) he said it's flat. After he dropped us off I told I hope he feels good cheating a fare....what good that does I don't know.

I took a picture of his taxi and license plate but not sure what a complaint would do.

This is why uber is much better, everything is pre priced so yiu know what your getting.

Any ways, just a not to vent...also to inform. ...I think I'll push harder next time.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Never a flat rate !!!!! Before we all get in we make sure it's metered and we have a pretty good idea what the cost will be from other trips ... if not we get out. Uber is a great option.

So the MIA flat rate I was scammed because I needed (again, a minivan), so when we paid, he said it was an extra $10 because I ordered a minivan. Before I took the van, I asked the dispatcher if the flat rate was regardless the type of car, and they said yes...

Fare issues are part of the reason why I've just about given up on taxis and switched to Uber and Lyft

Taking a photo of the cab # and license when you get in is a good idea - if the driver asks why, tell him that it is "Just in case I forget something in the cab." If you disagree with the fare feel free to ask a cop at the airport to come over and clarify the rule - asking for a receipt is another step to document the correct fare versus what you were charged. I would go ahead and submit the complaint - maybe you'll save someone else from getting ripped off.

They turn off the meter when I went in, and entered the "flat fare rate: of $35.

I put a google review of the company but other than that, no other place to complain (except this forum).

My sister told them they wanted a metered rate, and the guy finally said "fine", where as other members of my group was charged a "flat" rate.

Submitting a complaint when all you have is the vehicle number or tag number will unfortunately go nowhere.

The owner of the medallion has no obligation to reveal which driver had that vehicle out at the time of the infraction.

What you have to do should there be any issue with refusal to turn on the meter (or denial of the flat rate when going to from MIA airport) is to pull out your phone and take a picture of the driver's hack license. Make it very obvious that you are doing so. Now whether that settles the driver down or just makes them more belligerent goes case by case.

And as mentioned above at FLL airport if you see a police officer call them over. (And you probably will as one of the big issues at FLL still unsolved a year and a half after the shooting is BSO officers that are supposed to be patrolling the concourses are daily reassigned to traffic control--but I digress...). Tell the cop that you asked the driver to turn the meter on but they failed to do so. The driver will almost certainly accept a very modest cash payment as they just want to get away as fast as possible when the police are involved.

Unfortunately scams happen in Miami but also many areas. I was taken for a ride in Boston several years ago.

We now use Uber in Miami for these types of reasons. On one trip the following happened.

- One taxi driver gave me a flat rate from hotel in Miami to South Beach when we got in the taxi. I took it because I knew it would be less expensive then we have paid in the past wit the meter but the reality is it should have been metered.

- On our return in South Beach shortly into our drive the taxi driver was pulled over by the police. Evidently his license was expired. Had to pay him and find another taxi.

- Went from the port to the Miami airport and the driver had the meter going. A few minutes into the trip I said to him that it is a flat rate and that I was certain of that. He quickly turned the meter off.

So three strikes and you are out in my book.

Nothing is perfect and mistakes happen but we have enjoyed pleasant rides using Uber including the drivers we have met, the condition of the vehicles and the pricing.

Keith

Unfortunately scams happen in Miami but also many areas. I was taken for a ride in Boston several years ago.

We now use Uber in Miami for these types of reasons. On one trip the following happened.

- One taxi driver gave me a flat rate from hotel in Miami to South Beach when we got in the taxi. I took it because I knew it would be less expensive then we have paid in the past wit the meter but the reality is it should have been metered.

- On our return in South Beach shortly into our drive the taxi driver was pulled over by the police. Evidently his license was expired. Had to pay him and find another taxi.

- Went from the port to the Miami airport and the driver had the meter going. A few minutes into the trip I said to him that it is a flat rate and that I was certain of that. He quickly turned the meter off.

So three strikes and you are out in my book.

Nothing is perfect and mistakes happen but we have enjoyed pleasant rides using Uber including the drivers we have met, the condition of the vehicles and the pricing.

Keith

A few years ago when Uber was just getting started, Broward decided to ban Uber. It was just about the only thing on the agenda, constantly, a total uproar around here. People were PISSED. We all know how bad the taxis are, we want Uber. And the commission essentially approved Uber just so they could finally focus on other tasks.

Nobody uses taxis around here, they are awful.

is it uber or lyft from fll airport to a hotel in fll??

Not sure I fully understand the question. Both Uber and Lyft provide the same service. Competitors. You can use either one.

Last year, we were mistakenly put into a taxi van with another couple. Both of us told the driver we did not mind sharing the cab. When we got to the airport, the fare on the meter was $12.90 when the driver stopped to let us out first. I gave the driver $10, which I thought was being generous since the other couple would be paying for half the fare as well. He complained it wasn't enough, so I gave him another $2. I wished afterward that I had not succumbed to his attitude.

After another cruise, we were staying in a boutique hotel. I gave the taxi driver the address and asked if he knew where it was. He said yes. But when I pointed out he should have turned, he kept going up the beachfront highway for a couple of miles. I noted what the meter was at the time. When he finally made a U-turn and got us to the hotel, the price on the meter was more than $10 greater than it should have been. I just paid him what I thought it should be without the extra scenic route. He took the money and did not complain.

Haven't used Uber before. Do they have vehicles which would accommodate 6 people and luggage from port to FLL airport after our cruise?

They do not.

You would need 2 UberXL cars. So 2 people in your party would need to request rides.

You can likely squeeze three into each UberX for less than what UberXL will charge. Typical UberX is a Ford Fusion/Toyota Camry or similar sized vehicle and should be able to accommodate 3 passengers plus standard bags. UberX from PE to FLL should be about $10 per car, while UberXL will be closer to $15 per car.