Oosterdam best aft facing balconies

kicia

We're trying to choose an aft facing balcony on the Oosterdam. We are looking at decks 4 or 5. We like the aft facing balconies and have had them on other cruises. We do like some sun but shade is good too. It looks like the balconies on deck 5 are larger and we would like to have a couple of loungers on the balcony. We also don't want to sacrifice cabin space for balcony space.

Which would you choose and why?

Thank you!

We're trying to choose an aft facing balcony on the Oosterdam. We are looking at decks 4 or 5. We like the aft facing balconies and have had them on other cruises. We do like some sun but shade is good too. It looks like the balconies on deck 5 are larger and we would like to have a couple of loungers on the balcony. We also don't want to sacrifice cabin space for balcony space.

Which would you choose and why?

Thank you!

Deck 5 is fully covered and quite deep. If you like to eat on your balcony in the rain, you can do so on Deck 5.

We had 4174 on the Oosterdam and the cabin was great. Much deeper balcony, and the cabin was also bigger. You can tell by the distance between the side of the bed and the couch. We had about 5 ft of space between the left side of the bed and the couch.

The balcony was big enough for 2 full size lounge chairs. We had only one, but we asked for a 2nd from our cabin steward and it was there the next day. Deck 4 stern balconies are mostly uncovered on the Vista class ships. The great part of deck 4 stern balconies is when you stand at your balcony railing and look down, all you see is prop-wash and water. You are at the extreme back of the ship, and there's nothing below you to look at except water. On decks 5, 6, 7 & 8, you are looking down on the balconies of the decks below you and lots of heads. We always try to get a deck 4 stern balcony.

We had 4174 on the Oosterdam and the cabin was great. Much deeper balcony, and the cabin was also bigger. You can tell by the distance between the side of the bed and the couch. We had about 5 ft of space between the left side of the bed and the couch.

The balcony was big enough for 2 full size lounge chairs. We had only one, but we asked for a 2nd from our cabin steward and it was there the next day. Deck 4 stern balconies are mostly uncovered on the Vista class ships. The great part of deck 4 stern balconies is when you stand at your balcony railing and look down, all you see is prop-wash and water. You are at the extreme back of the ship, and there's nothing below you to look at except water. On decks 5, 6, 7 & 8, you are looking down on the balconies of the decks below you and lots of heads. We always try to get a deck 4 stern balcony.

Thank you for a very informative post. I’m an experienced cruiser who is looking at other lines. HAL has itineraries that I find interesting. As the smoking policy has now changed on this HAL ship I am seriously considering a cruise with HAL. I always book aft suites or balconies so your post really helps me choose the deck that would work for me.

Don't know if you're asking about balcony cabins or suites, or both. We've stayed in the corner suite in 5190 and it was fabulous. We have not stayed in an aft balcony but a couple who were out next door neighbors in 5188 thought the cabin and veranda were fine until they looked at ours. My understanding is the cabins and verandas on deck are a little larger and the veranda is covered. We couldn't have been more pleased.