1.5 million people at Vancouvers Canada Place Tomorrow

Posted this on a the West Coast Departures too, but I I know some people don't check that page:

Just in case your going to be leaving on one of the ships to Alaska from Canada place tomorrow in Vancouver, be prepared for crazy crowds! It's Canada's 150th birthday and they speculate there will be 1.5 million there through out. Just give your self a bit more time... and dont expect quick taxis lol 🇨🇦🇨🇦

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/crowds-canada-place-canada-day-weekend-2017

I think that's a bit of an over-estimate as that's more than double the actual population of the City of Vancouver. Maybe the article meant to say there would be 1.5 million people celebrating Canada Day celebrations in the lower mainland. Another article I read said in tens of thousands to hundred thousand at Canada Place. Whatever, it's going to be chaos disembarking or embarking the three ships in harbour tomorrow.

It's the road closures that will be the challenge. I know they close down the area West of the cruise terminal for July 1st.... but I hear it's a two day event where the closures will continue to July 2nd.

Then there's Deadpool 2 filming with more closures the remainder of the week in the evenings.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/ryan-reynolds-is-back-deadpool-2-filming-around-vancouver-1.3478787

It's the road closures that will be the challenge. I know they close down the area West of the cruise terminal for July 1st.... but I hear it's a two day event where the closures will continue to July 2nd.

Then there's Deadpool 2 filming with more closures the remainder of the week in the evenings.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/ryan-reynolds-is-back-deadpool-2-filming-around-vancouver-1.3478787

YES Ryan Reyonlds so awesome.... It's right down the street from my work at Cambie in Gastown for the last few days!

I expect the number to be closer to half a million. not 1.5 . Canada place physically can't handle 1.5 million. The usuallu have about 250,000 on New Years eve.

Just quoted the article! Some could say it was click bait but I'll bite and at least its out there for all the winners and complainers that will come back and write reviews slamming how busy it was :evilsmile:

It's definitely going to be packed down there. We usually avoid Canada Place for Canada Day during the day and go to the other events around town like the North Shore, Granville Island, or Steveston and then head downtown later for the parade. But with all the money seemingly being thrown around for Canada 150, we're definitely going to have to check out the Canada Place celebrations this year for sure but debating if to go down Saturday or Sunday; Saturday, the Convention Centre has an open house while they moved the parade to Sunday this year. (We've been to a number of festivals and events around town this year and a lot of them seem to be sponsored in part by Canada 150 funding this year.) Might head down there tonight too while we go for a walk to see what they've got configured.

It's definitely going to be packed down there. We usually avoid Canada Place for Canada Day during the day and go to the other events around town like the North Shore, Granville Island, or Steveston and then head downtown later for the parade. But with all the money seemingly being thrown around for Canada 150, we're definitely going to have to check out the Canada Place celebrations this year for sure but debating if to go down Saturday or Sunday; Saturday, the Convention Centre has an open house while they moved the parade to Sunday this year. (We've been to a number of festivals and events around town this year and a lot of them seem to be sponsored in part by Canada 150 funding this year.) Might head down there tonight too while we go for a walk to see what they've got configured.

They are also running this year for the first time a West Coast Express train from Mission all the way to Canada Place and back, so I'm sure that will bring a full load too!

We took a walk down there around 11pm. Lot of activity going on setting up the stages, setting up fencing.

Pretty standard configuration. Most of Canada Place Road closed except for a small section along Howe Street to allow taxis access to the cruise ship terminal and hotel guests to the Fairmont Waterfront and Pan Pacific. Man stage in front of the Pan Pacific, then a some vendor stalls, GlobalBC tent by Burrard, then a whole bunch of porta-potties, then a bunch of food trucks all the way down to and along Thurlow along with a second stage. CTV tent and other tents by the Cauldron and JP Plaza.

They were also setting up a lot of fencing that wasn't complete by the time we left. There looks to be limited access to Canada Place/Convention Centre west, at least along the waterfront after 8pm which I'm assuming is to manage crowds before the fireworks.

Side note: Bella Gelateria still had at least a 20min line up out the door after 11pm past their normal closing time.

beaa2a55760fd46731d1d7c6aaec22c2.jpg

Taken at noon at Cordova and Howe. Looked like a warzone. Hate to be doing a luggage drag from the train station. Long line of cabs trying to turn in with the police trying to keep crosswalks clear.