Bar hopping tour excursion in Ensenada experiences?

jjennings1990

Boy I'm kind of shocked at the mixed opinions on this, I appreciate them though the more I know the closer I get to a decision . I was aware of the issues with booze in mexico but figured if I bought anything out of a sealed bottle I should be safe?

I just returned from Ensenada. We went on the wine tasting tour (highly recommended) and at no point did I feel in danger. I will admit I was nervous about the port in general and had no intention of roaming around without a large group and a tour guide, but our experience was very positive.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Boy I'm kind of shocked at the mixed opinions on this, I appreciate them though the more I know the closer I get to a decision . I was aware of the issues with booze in mexico but figured if I bought anything out of a sealed bottle I should be safe?

I respect everyone's opinion. But there is a reason you get people saying a place "feels scary", without any people saying something bad actually happened to them there.

The whole "tainted booze" thing is way overblown. It was recently in the news because it was one small group of criminals running the scam around Cancun, where it mostly showed up at some of the all inclusive resorts. This is thousands of miles away from Ensenada until you hear about anything happening like that in Ensenada, Tijuana, or closer places I would not worry about it. Thousands of American tourists drink in Ensenada every week if it was a problem you would hear about it.

If you really want to be extra safe stick to ordering well known brands of foreign liquor (Bacardi, jack Daniels, etc...) and avoid Tequila. Reports of tainted alcohol in Cancun was all Tequila. Tequila is the most popular liquor, the markup is high and it is made in Mexico so the counterfeiters have access to used bottles or fake bottles to refill with their fake product. It would be much more difficult for them to get something like fake jack Daniels bottles, and it would be harder for them to sell.

Edited by cap'n chunk

I respect everyone's opinion. But there is a reason you get people saying a place "feels scary"' date=' without any people saying something bad actually happened to them there.

...............[/quote']

One reason people think Ensenada is scary is because it's not built to American tourist standards. It's not like the Cabo Marina area or even a purpose built tourist town like Cabo or Ixtapa. It's a Mexican city with all its quirks. Heck, the oldest bar still serving, Hussong's, was founded in the 1890's.

• 1 month later...

Update:

I just got back from the Imagination today and had to take a nap from my vacation before collecting my thoughts but I did wasn't to leave my updated impressions here ( and later in a review) about this excursion .

Intro to Ensenada :

So while we docked in Ensenada I went out pretty early in the morning to do my shopping, I cruised solo and the streets of Ensenada aren't gorgeous with that said I was one of the first visitors to many shops and everyone who was there who could speak some english were pretty funny / nice. I did see one military vehicle drive through the streets but the soldiers themselves were laughing I just assume that Mexco has a larger integrated military presence in their cities than I think we're used to in the states. Regardless I was alone walking through Ensenada alleys for their small shops and I survived. naturally I stuck to the touristy areas and the few suspicious people I did cross ( a guy who handed me a flier advertising all sorts of prescription drugs while he casually alludes to a place around the corner with beautiful girls) I naturally smiled, nodded, and proceeded to walk away from . I live in Los Angeles and I've felt more in danger in Skid row or walking Downtown LA at night then I did in Enseanada .

The actual important part The Excursion Experience : I booked this cruise specifically because I needed to drink , relax, and shut off for a few days and I did just that . Doing it solo was definitely intimidating but the entire atmosphere of this ship and the people ( crew and guests alike) on it is to have fun . I figure i'll save the nitty gritty details for my actual excursion review ( also there are chunks I am piecing together through memories and random photographs on my phone) but in short it was fantastic. If you like to drink and want to make some quick friends then this excursion is a great idea. Not at all for prudes , and I came back with some wild stories and a few people on the ship remembered seeing me and my excursion buddies around the ship to remind us how insane our partying was but we all had a great time and I hung out with all of them for a good chunk of the cruise later. This was the highlight of my cruise by far and I'm very happy I went.