Laundrette Wars

Dorset cruise fan

I compare it to laundry or dry cleaning at home and yes I think it is.

At home I can do 7kg of washing for pence. Dry for free. Avoid things that need ironing as much as possible.

Don't buy anything that needs dry cleaning.

You and I obviously live in different worlds.

Have to agree. Nothing would get me doing laundry when I'm on holiday. Longest cruise I have done is 30 nights. Only washed a couple of smalls in the sink.

The thing that got me using the launderette on holiday was we arrived home after a 17 night cruise(me having previously thought why waste time doing laundry on holiday)to find that the washing machine broke down the first wash.Someone came out to repair it, told us it was irreparable so ordered us another one.We were without a machine for nearly 2 weeks having to go to the nearest laundrette (about 3 miles away!)I now look where the launderette is onboard before choosing a cabin!!

The thing that got me using the launderette on holiday was we arrived home after a 17 night cruise(me having previously thought why waste time doing laundry on holiday)to find that the washing machine broke down the first wash.Someone came out to repair it, told us it was irreparable so ordered us another one.We were without a machine for nearly 2 weeks having to go to the nearest laundrette (about 3 miles away!)I now look where the launderette is onboard before choosing a cabin!!

You had to wait 2 weeks!!

You can order one online and get it next day.

You had to wait 2 weeks!!

You can order one online and get it next day.

The problem was that because it was under guarantee we had to wait for someone from the company to come out, say it couldn t be repaired and then wait for them to order us a new one.I agree that if it hadn t been under guarantee we could have gone and bought one and had it delivered the day after

If that happened to me, I would simply take my washing to a friend's house. I have good friends close by. I absolutely will not use one of those laundrettes on board. I work for a living, and this is my holiday.

I too would ask a friend to do some washing (or just wait) if there was just a bit of washing to do but in our case there was 17 days worth! I don t use the ships launderette often but do use it for a long cruise.It also means I haven t got to take as many suitcases.

apparently some people boil them in the kettle, honest!, allegedly :eek::eek::eek:

I'm sure there must be a thread about such stories in cruising, if there isn't there should be.

On second thoughts it would swamp the boards.

Mind you the smalls would have to very small to fit in the kettles provided.

However, I do always boil the kettle and discard twice, before I make a cuppa, just in case it hasn't been used for a week or two. I do the same at home when I return if nobody has been home when I've been away.

I did not opt for the "insurance" when I purchased a new washing machine. I thought the premium was nearly 33% of the price of buying it and suspected that the replacement machine would be an absolutely basic machine you could not rely on. I had assumed that they were working on a three year life expectancy in this respect. From what you say I have concluded they last under a few months. Thank you for tipping people off.

Regards John

I did not opt for the "insurance" when I purchased a new washing machine. I thought the premium was nearly 33% of the price of buying it and suspected that the replacement machine would be an absolutely basic machine you could not rely on. I had assumed that they were working on a three year life expectancy in this respect. From what you say I have concluded they last under a few months. Thank you for tipping people off.

Regards John

Unfortunately nothing is built to last nowadays but they did replace like for like and the replacement machine is now 4 years old and still going strong so I think we were probably particularly unlucky with the original

• 5 months later...

If you are using a washing machine in anticipation that your load can be transferred to the drier immediately it is finished you are open to cabin sink washers walking in and loading the dryer just before you can load it with your stuff.  My recommendation is print out an DRYER OUT OF ORDER - USE ANOTHER DECK" sign.  Stick this on the dryer when your washing is 75% - 80% finished.  Do not forget to incorporate a cruise logo in your sign and laminate it.

If it gets rumbled just say who the hell has done this and deny all knowledge saying I had to go up to deck 10 yesterday!

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, john watson said:

If you are using a washing machine in anticipation that your load can be transferred to the drier immediately it is finished you are open to cabin sink washers walking in and loading the dryer just before you can load it with your stuff.  My recommendation is print out an DRYER OUT OF ORDER - USE ANOTHER DECK" sign.  Stick this on the dryer when your washing is 75% - 80% finished.  Do not forget to incorporate a cruise logo in your sign and laminate it.

If it gets rumbled just say who the hell has done this and deny all knowledge saying I had to go up to deck 10 yesterday!

Regards John

No need to print one there is usually one in the launderette which you can use, and I am sure some people do.

On a more serious note our brother and sister in law are currently on board Arcadia part way through their 99 day world cruise.

Aside from telling us that they are having a wonderful time they have told us that 4 passengers were remove/ejected from the ship in Aruba.

Apparently, It started in the launderette when 2 Women had a big argument.

Later that evening in one of the bars their husbands started fighting. 😱

Edited by P-L-B

4 hours ago, P-L-B said:

On a more serious note our brother and sister in law are currently on board Arcadia part way through their 99 day world cruise.

Aside from telling us that they are having a wonderful time they have told us that 4 passengers were remove/ejected from the ship in Aruba.

Apparently, It started in the launderette when 2 Women had a big argument.

Later that evening in one of the bars their husbands started fighting. 😱

We will be in Arcadia in a few days! I am definitely going to use the launderettes because we are on for weeks.

Like some of the earlier posters I will pop in and out regularly then may stay while drier is on. 

On previous cruises I have found the laundry to be a great place to hear ship gossip and most people follow the etiquette of leaving clothes neatly if removed from a machine. I have folded up clothes that I have removed from a drier and assume that others would do the same for me. We are all on board for a good time, not there to make enemies. I’m glad the laundry hooligans have been ejected!

1 hour ago, Kristal Blade said:

We will be in Arcadia in a few days! I am definitely going to use the launderettes because we are on for weeks.

Like some of the earlier posters I will pop in and out regularly then may stay while drier is on. 

On previous cruises I have found the laundry to be a great place to hear ship gossip and most people follow the etiquette of leaving clothes neatly if removed from a machine. I have folded up clothes that I have removed from a drier and assume that others would do the same for me. We are all on board for a good time, not there to make enemies. I’m glad the laundry hooligans have been ejected!

We have been following Arcadia’s journey on the ships webcam and have had contact with the family on a couple of occasions via the internet.

Their next port of call will be Lautoka but I take you will be boarding in Sydney.

Have a great cruise.:classic_smile:

3 minutes ago, P-L-B said:

We have been following Arcadia’s journey on the ships webcam and have had contact with the family on a couple of occasions via the internet.

Their next port of call will be Lautoka but I take you will be boarding in Sydney.

Have a great cruise.:classic_smile:

Thanks. You are right, we joinin Sydney and sail back to U.K. Laundry essential!

we have been following Facebook posts and heard that Lautoka might be missed cos of a medical issue. Not on the ship, some disease in Fiji.

I have found the best way forward which I am willing to share with you.   On a sea day I put on four pairs of underwear of my own.  I then put on four pairs of my wifes underwear along with 3 of her bras.   I then get into the washing machine and stay there until its complete.  I have learnt over the years that that points you need good breath control but its manageable.  There is never any issue getting into a dryer and finishing even if others are present.  I find they leave the room quickly when I get out of the machine.

My wife took some photographs last year but the cruise line have deleted them when I posted them on their website to try and help others.

Hope this helps

Edited by Dinglebert
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Kristal Blade said:

I did that the only time I used the laundry and whilst waiting for mine to dry, the owner came back and objected extremely loudly to me having the audacity of touching her clothes!!  Never again.

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

I did that the only time I used the laundry and whilst waiting for mine to dry, the owner came back and objected extremely loudly to me having the audacity of touching her clothes!!  Never again.

How rude!

I think it that situation I might have experienced a bit of laundry rage, ha ha.

Dinglebert, I’m going to be enlisting my husband to carry out your plan!

On 8/12/2018 at 5:24 PM, john watson said:

Without wishing to go into too much detail it is sometimes economical to wash in cabin and use clothes line. The option you mention to buy replacement stuff ashore and chuck the originals in the bin makes sense to me.

Realistically when you calculate how much money you have paid for a holiday (£200 a day for a couple) it does not make sense to me to waste too much time and effort on self-service laundry. I went on a cruise to Caribbean with a first timer who planned to wash clothes halfway through cruise and actually sit and watch the machines throughout. I pointed out that this was ridiculous and nobody who books a £2000 cruise would want to steal someone else's underwear.

Regards John

Here's a theft fact.  

On our recent QV Cruise, while at GS on the penultimate day, there was a lady in a (loud) angry discussion with an associate.  It appeared that six designer swimsuits placed in a washer for a quick wash, went missing from the Coven during a 20 minute period.

Elements now migrating to Cunard?

Be warned.

1 hour ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Here's a theft fact.  

On our recent QV Cruise, while at GS on the penultimate day, there was a lady in a (loud) angry discussion with an associate.  It appeared that six designer swimsuits placed in a washer for a quick wash, went missing from the Coven during a 20 minute period.

Elements now migrating to Cunard?

Be warned.

I cannot believe this is a simple theft issue on a Cunard sailing, it's got to be fetish related.  Was she the only member of the coven present?  Did you notice any clues, such as warlocks with false pentangles in the area?

Lol John