NCL Gem Disembarking

CrusinCyndi

We are booked on the Gem for the June 2nd 2018 sailing out of New York.

We will be flying out of LaGuardia on the 9th after the ship docks.

I currently have a 1:30pm flight departure time on American Airlines.

Is that enough time to make it to the airport? My only other alternative is a 6:30pm flight.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks.

we docked at 10am on Gem recently - clear of ship at 12.30

we crossed the road and got a cab and were at Newark for 1 ish - we were lucky traffic was clear - when we arrived into JFK it took 1 and a half hours to get to manhatten (hotel)

no major delays but still took a good 2 and a half hours to get off the ship and to a point where we could go somewhere else, the walk off passengers were only 30 mins ahead of us

Depending on the time you dock ( there could be delays) and how long it takes to get to your airport on balance I would say it would be too tight to ensure you made the flight in time

we flew at 17.45 so had plenty of time to get something to eat at the airport and not have to worry about time

You are welcome - I'd much rather hang out at the airport and know I am there than risk losing the flight! And I think they were offering NY tours for passengers out of LaGuardia and JFK for disembarkation day on the ship, where they would take you to the sights and drop you off at the airport when you are done - check that out we would have done it if they dropped off at Newark but they did not

Ok, so I went ahead and changed the flight to 6:30pm.............just have to hang out at LaGuardia for hours, but I feel better just in case the ship is delayed. Thank you for the information.!

Probably the best choice. You can avoid the initial rush of people trying to get off. With lots of time to spare in mid-day traffic.

You really just never know.

There was the time we cruised out of Long Beach but our cruise had to divert to San Pedro and they had to bus everyone to Long Beach. Those that had early flights freaked. Luckily, we didn't fly home until the next day.

You just never know what can go wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the Breakaway out of NY 2 years ago and didn't get off until 11. It was such a mob scene at the port that we just walked a couple blocks to get away from the chaos to get a cab to Penn Station (we took a train home). I would go for the later flight just to be safe. Sometimes getting through airport security is tough and I can only imagine how it is at peak times out of NYC. It would be terrible to end a great vacation rushing around and stressed. Once at the airport you can always ask about flying standby on the earlier flight if you're there in time?

Sailing NCL GEM June 02 2018

Based on NCL Gem arrival NYC 10AM

Does this apply to all returns to NYC

How is this affecting boarding on next outbound

currently signed up for 1030 AM boarding group ( I realize that mens 12 noon)

If ship does not arrive in port till 10AM I can't envision passengers being allowed on board for next cruise before 1-2PM ??

Any body with advice ??

Sailing NCL GEM June 02 2018

Based on NCL Gem arrival NYC 10AM

Does this apply to all returns to NYC

How is this affecting boarding on next outbound

currently signed up for 1030 AM boarding group ( I realize that mens 12 noon)

If ship does not arrive in port till 10AM I can't envision passengers being allowed on board for next cruise before 1-2PM ??

Any body with advice ??

We had a 6pm sailaway - got to the port at about 11.30 and group 1 was called at 12 ish while we we queuing - no idea how long those people had been there but nobody ( apart from haven I imagine) was onboard before 12

Gem now does not arrive until 10 AM where previously was 7AM. We recently did self embark and we’re off by 11. Still close for your early flight

I'm also on the 6/2 sailing and NCL.com shows an 8 AM arrival. I don't see any sailings that do show a 10AM arrival so maybe 10AM was only for certain sailings in the past.

There is so much traffic and construction going on at LGA. Some terminals aren't even accessible unless you take a bus transfer to get to them. Last week, a big truck couldn't swing a tight turn, and I was stuck for a while (maybe 15 mins) as they pulled forward and back trying to cut it.

Definitely a good call going with the later flight! You made the right choice [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the Breakaway in January, scheduled to dock at 8 and we didn't dock until 12. There was such a mad rush for people trying to get off, we didn't actually disembark until about 2. We are from the NY area so we weren't in that much of a rush, but the point being, it does happen.

Looking on the good side, now you can relax and view the sailing into NY without having to get up so early. You will have great views of the Stature of Liberty, and the lower NY skyline, and sailing up the Hudson is also great.

Enjoy and relax, you did the right thing.

Cheers

Len

Mass transit and highways leading out to Queens (both LGA & JFK airports bound) might find traffic a little extra heavy that afternoon ... it's baseball season and just east of LGA at Citibank, the Yankees with its Bronx home will be playing against the Mets in Flushing, so ... be sure to allow a little extra time on the Grand Central Parkway.

Passing by LGA earlier this week, the massive airport reconstruction with the new terminals & parking structure going up, for Terminal B (Central Terminal) and C & D (both Delta's, further east with the 94th Street ramps) are full speed ahead ... folks have been known to "abandon" their vehicles/drivers and get out on the roadways, and walk/run to the terminal with luggage & bags in tow, when gridlock conditions bring everything to a full stop, including those SBS airport buses, and, the inter-terminal shuttles.

OP's decision to choose the later flight is a very wise one. NCL homeport ships' docking & disembarkation for NYC in this past year have been very, very inconsistent - difficult to predict, mostly early & on-time but when it's late, really - really - badly behind schedule. The rippled effects resulted in late embarkation and boarding, with the Gem (and, the Breakaway) sitting on the pier until 5 PM, 6 PM and even later than 7 PM before backing up & turning south on the Hudson River to begin getting out to sea.

I track the ship's arrival & approach on its return to NY sometimes, and it's clear that they are running anywhere near their top speed to make up for any lost time, and often reduced to 12 to 15 nm/knots coming toward the coast ... just no proven theory that it's for fuel savings.

OP might also wish to consider access to AA's Admirals Club Lounge at its LGA terminal, post-security ... including a paid One-Day Pass @$59 p/p - instead of taking the NCL's post-cruise "Drive By" bus tour with airport dropoff. Add up the cost of a taxi or car service ride, toll & tip ... around $55 to $60 - the lounge access including WiFi, complimentary beverages and snacks, etc. and much better seating area to relax & wait for one's flight before they are ready to board.