Our Country Home - The Fifth Year!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:35 PM.
Bunnell, FL 32110
13,586 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
It has already been 4 weeks!

If we lived in Palm Coast, the City's "Grass Patrol" would already be fining us for grass that is too high!
Lexington SC
3,073 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
Glad you are feeling better! Don't drink too much water because it does wash out your electrolytes which will cause all your symptoms of fatigue, dizziness, loss of appetite etc. Gatorade is a good option along with the pedialyte. Be sure to take a vitamin with minerals.
Looking forward to some pictures of the NEW home!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
PINNACLE CLUB
Bunnell, FL 32110
13,586 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Here are some photos of Keith, the Handy Man, starting on the new Chicken Cage for Judith.

She wanted it close to the house so it would be easy to get to and she could turn the chickens loose in the yard in the late afternoon and close up when they go home to roost in the evening.

Lexington SC
3,073 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
Progress, looking good. It seems Keith has been a blessing to you both. Relax and take it slow. There'll always be tomorrow.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
PINNACLE CLUB
Bunnell, FL 32110
13,586 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
WE drove over to Flagler Beach to the Dali's Mexican Restaurant which has a bit of a south American flavor.

We don't like the way they do re-fried beans at all but there is plenty of other great stuff to pick from.

We shared some Salsa, Pico de Gallo, and Guacamole

We both had the Steak Del Mar with Shrimp on top which is always excellent. It features Mexican rice with Cilantro in it. (FANTASTIC)

Virginia Beach, VA
4,768 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
so glad to see that you're feeling better! You guys do a good job of taking care of each other. Keith looks like he's sweating a lot. Better him than you!!!
Bunnell, FL 32110
13,586 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
It is time to do some thinking and calculating.

Diet Rite Cola costs $5.39 for a 12-Pack or $.45 each. On a Cruise I can easily drink 20 Diet Colas a day for a total cost of $8.98. (This included carried on Diet Rite Colas and purchases from the Coke Card.)

The Pedialyte costs $5.49 each which makes 3 tall glasses when mixed with ice. Cost per glass is $1.83. and I can easily drink 12 glasses per day so the daily cost averages out to $21.96.

The other day when we ran out of the Pedialyte, I could immediately notice the difference in how I felt without the stuff.

So although we will continue to look for lower cost alternatives, it looks like this will be a new daily health cost for me. It will be offset by not drinking any more Diet Rite Sodas.
Dorset, UK
3,284 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Would the Pedialyte sachets mixed with water be a cheaper way of getting the electrolytes into your system? Could you not drink some Pedialyte drinks and replace others with plain water? You could experiment as see if replacing some of your daily glasses of Pedialyte with water makes you feel the same or worse. Seems a big daily expense but you have to do what it takes to get your energy back 🙂

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carousel - Med
Sundream - Transatlantic
Sunbird(2) - Caribbean
Seawing(2) - Med / Far East
Topaz - Canary Islands
Thomson Spirit(2) - Med
Thomson Celebration - Canary Islands
Ocean Village - Med stay and cruise
Golden Princess(3) - Caribbean / British Isles
Sapphire Princess - Australia and New Zealand
Carnival Conquest - Western Caribbean
Sea Princess - Transatlantic
Legend of the Seas - Med
Ruby Princess - Western Caribbean
Dawn Princess - Southampton to Dubai
NCL Jade - Canaries and Morroco
Golden Princess - Alaska
Ocean Princess - Mediterranean
P&O Ventura - Barbados to Southampton
Grandeur of the Seas - Spanish Med 2011
Independence of the Seas - Canaries and Madeira
Crown Princess - Venice, around Adriatic to Rome
P&O Aurora - Southampton to Sydney
Caribbean Princess - New England and Canada with New York pre-cruise
Fred Olsen Braemar - Canaries
Celebrity Constellation - Black Sea and Greece
P&O Arcadia - Sydney to Hong Kong
Queen Mary 2 - Eastbound Transatlantic
P&O Azura - Transatlantic and Caribbean
NCL Epic - Iberia, Canaries and Madeira
Queen Victoria - Greek Islands and Turkey
Princess - Far East and Australia
upcoming 2017: MSC Poesia - Caribbean
upcoming 2017: QM2 - Westbound Transatlantic
Virginia Beach, VA
4,768 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by Dorset Cruiser
Would the Pedialyte sachets mixed with water be a cheaper way of getting the electrolytes into your system? Could you not drink some Pedialyte drinks and replace others with plain water? You could experiment as see if replacing some of your daily glasses of Pedialyte with water makes you feel the same or worse. Seems a big daily expense but you have to do what it takes to get your energy back 🙂

Exactly what I was thinking. Why pay for a container and water every time. Amazon has a lot of bulk electrolytes... (some even orange flavored!) Judith would need to determine what ingredients you need, but it wouldn't hurt to run it by your cardiologist too. Some of the ingredients can affect your heart, but I'm sure Judith is monitoring that. How is Judith feeling? I wonder if you guys caught some kind of bug from all the people you've been around lately?

https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb...=3RE89OV5GFCJF
Dorset, UK
3,284 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
In the UK we only tend to use Pedialyte equivalents during bouts of sickness in children and adults where they are continually vomiting, in an attempt to replace electrolytes etc. Once they are recovered then the treatment is stopped. They are also used by athletes. Presume you have been doing too much, sweating too much and have severely depleted your supplies of electrolytes. Hopefully you will soon be back to normal and can get back to diet drinks and water to keep your fluids up.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carousel - Med
Sundream - Transatlantic
Sunbird(2) - Caribbean
Topaz - Canary Islands
Thomson Spirit(2) - Med
Legend of the Seas - Med
Golden Princess - Alaska
Bunnell, FL 32110
13,586 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
DAYTONA BEACH — Caribbean cruises have emerged as a tough competitor to traditional beach vacations, but that seafaring option could become an asset to area tourism if a new marketing idea in the works by the Daytona Beach Area Convention & Visitors Bureau becomes reality.
The visitors bureau is discussing the possibility of marketing beach-cruise packages with Norwegian Cruise Line for passengers sailing out of Port Canaveral. The packages would offer passengers the opportunity to spend several nights before or after a cruise in Daytona Beach, booking stays in area hotels and patronizing area restaurants and attractions, said Evelyn Fine of Mid-Florida Marketing & Research, who came up with the idea.
Fine was directed to pursue the plan at the July board of directors meeting of the Halifax Area Advertising Authority, which funds and oversees the visitors bureau. Fine admittedly is a big fan of cruises when it comes to her own vacations, taking several European voyages in a typical year, but the Daytona Beach proposal is based squarely on visitor research, she said.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20170812/combo-deal-cruise-beach-packages-in-future-for-daytona-tourism

Illinois
1,314 Posts
Joined Apr 2001
Originally posted by Trainman-2
It is time to do some thinking and calculating.

Diet Rite Cola costs $5.39 for a 12-Pack or $.45 each. On a Cruise I can easily drink 20 Diet Colas a day for a total cost of $8.98. (This included carried on Diet Rite Colas and purchases from the Coke Card.)

The Pedialyte costs $5.49 each which makes 3 tall glasses when mixed with ice. Cost per glass is $1.83. and I can easily drink 12 glasses per day so the daily cost averages out to $21.96.

The other day when we ran out of the Pedialyte, I could immediately notice the difference in how I felt without the stuff.

So although we will continue to look for lower cost alternatives, it looks like this will be a new daily health cost for me. It will be offset by not drinking any more Diet Rite Sodas.
Would Gatorade or Powerade be a more economical choice or does Judith think you need the extra potassium/sodium? http://homegymr.com/pedialyte-vs-gatorade/
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sovereign of the Seas 2/96 ~ Grandeur of the Seas 4/97 ~ Sea Breeze 4/98 ~ NCL Sea 11/99 ~ Voyager of the Seas 1/01 ~ Enchantment of the Seas 1/02 ~ =X=Millennium 2/03 ~ =X=Horizon 10/04 ~ Radiance of the Seas 1/04 ~ Radiance of the Seas 1/06 ~ Liberty of the Seas 3/08 ~ Jewel of the Seas 12/08 ~ Mariner of the Seas 2/09 ~ Jewel of the Seas 11/09 ~ Jewel of the Seas 10/10 ~ Jewel of the Seas 4/11 ~ Jewel of the Seas 10/12 ~ Vision of the Seas 9/14 ~ Legend of the Seas 2/15 ~ Serenade of the Seas 12/2016
Up Next:
Serenade of the Seas 12/2017
Cape Canaverl, FL
1,162 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
Originally posted by muladybug
Would Gatorade or Powerade be a more economical choice or does Judith think you need the extra potassium/sodium? http://homegymr.com/pedialyte-vs-gatorade/
Our doctor said to water the Gatorade in half before drinking, hubby sorta does - one mouthful of Gatorade, one of water. So funny to see him bring two containers of liquid once he's ready to cool down.

I also get him the low cal due to high sugar. Frequently for sale @ .88 a quart bottle at Publix.
Solarium Bar
5,391 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
Originally posted by happicruzer
I also get him the low cal due to high sugar. Frequently for sale @ .88 a quart bottle at Publix.

I would skip the low cal option as well if you are worried about sugar intake since it is loaded with sucralose and high fructose corn syrup.

I stay away from Gatorade, low cal Gatorade, Pedialyte, etc. since they all have that bad stuff. I go to the gym every day and replenish my lost electrolytes after my work out with a handful of raw nuts with a little salt, and an apple and/or avocado.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
SYMPHONY OF THE SEAS 9-MAR-19
FREEDOM OF THE SEAS 3-MAR-18
HARMONY OF THE SEAS 30-SEP-17 - 4-Headed Monster LIVE Review
GRANDEUR OF THE SEAS 8-JUL-17 - LIVE Review
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS 3-MAR-17 - LIVE Review
MAJESTY OF THE SEAS 3-FEB-17 - LIVE Review
ANTHEM OF THE SEAS 20-OCT-16 - LIVE Review
GRANDEUR OF THE SEAS 2-JUL-16 - LIVE Review
NORWEGIAN ESCAPE 20-FEB-16 - LIVE Review
OASIS OF THE SEAS 5-SEP-15 - LIVE Review
QUANTUM OF THE SEAS 20-FEB-15 - Review
OASIS OF THE SEAS 22-NOV-14
EXPLORER OF THE SEAS 2-MAR-14
OASIS OF THE SEAS 31-AUG-13 - Review
EXPLORER OF THE SEAS 15-MAR-13
ALLURE OF THE SEAS 9-SEP-12
EXPLORER OF THE SEAS 9-MAR-12
OASIS OF THE SEAS 3-SEP-11
NORWEGIAN GEM (CTN) 11-FEB-11
FREEDOM OF THE SEAS 17-OCT-10
FREEDOM OF THE SEAS 27-SEP-09
LIBERTY OF THE SEAS 13-SEP-08
LIBERTY OF THE SEAS 22-SEP-07
NORWEGIAN DAWN 19-AUG-06
S/S NORWAY 28-MAR-98
M/S SUNWARD II 1982
WA.
2,073 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
Be careful with the electrolytes. When I first started fighting wildland fires they told us to drink one Gatorade to one water. Now it's one Gatorade to 3 waters. On one fire I drank mostly Gatorade and ended up with gout in my big toe. The doctor told me it was directly related to the increased Gatorade input. Never want to repeat that pain again.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Birthdays are good for you. Statistics show the more that you have, the longer you live.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!

Dorset, UK
3,284 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Originally posted by Yorkvillain
I would skip the low cal option as well if you are worried about sugar intake since it is loaded with sucralose and high fructose corn syrup.

I stay away from Gatorade, low cal Gatorade, Pedialyte, etc. since they all have that bad stuff. I go to the gym every day and replenish my lost electrolytes after my work out with a handful of raw nuts with a little salt, and an apple and/or avocado.
Agree. Diet drinks are very addictive. Much better to go down your route with some healthy fruit and nuts and try to just drink water.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carousel - Med
Sundream - Transatlantic
Sunbird(2) - Caribbean
Topaz - Canary Islands
Thomson Spirit(2) - Med
Legend of the Seas - Med
Golden Princess - Alaska
Cape Canaverl, FL
1,162 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
The problem with good ole fashioned water seems to be the lack of taste, or so my husband says. I won't complain over one glass of Gatorade as he has about five large waters over the day.

Yes, we have lemon and limes to add natural flavor but the reason for all the store variety in flavors is a company sales pitch to keep us buying all that stuff.

After reading Jim's post on the number of sodas I thoroughly understand his doctor telling him to cut out soda as there is no nutrition value.
Australia
1,229 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
I am amazed at the amount of soda's and flavoured drinks that you are all drinking.
In Australia we just drink water for hydration. Of course if you are lacking some minerals etc. that has to be treated but we always drink tap water at home and when travelling we buy bottled water.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Strath

HAL Ms Zuiderdam Alaska 05/25/2013
Scenic Jade - Jewels of Europe 09/17/2014
Scenic Gem - Gems of the Seine 10/06/2014
Scenic Emerald - South of France 10/19/2014
HAL Ms Zuiderdam Mediterranean 04/14/2015
HAL Ms Noordam Aust/NZ 03/25/2016
Virginia
3,949 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
How about Smartwater? DH discovered it one year at Disney World, when he was feeling run down by the heat and all the walking. I'm pretty sure it's calorie free.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Joan

Anthem of the Seas, Southern Caribbean, March-April 2016; Oasis of the Seas, Western Caribbean, August 2015; Quantum of the Seas, Bahamas, November 2014; Independence of the Seas, April 2014; Explorer of the Seas, December 2012; Oasis of the Seas, Western and Eastern Caribbean, March 2012; Allure of the Seas, Eastern and Western Caribbean, March 2011; Ruby Princess, Eastern Caribbean, March 2010; Mariner of the Seas, Mexican Riviera, April 2009; Brilliance of the Seas, Panama Canal, March 2008; Crown Princess, Southern Caribbean, April 2007; Sapphire Princess, Alaska, May 2006; Mariner of the Seas, Western Caribbean, April 2005; HAL Zuiderdam, Eastern Caribbean, April 2004