What do you wish you had left at home?

emory2001

I saw this posted somewhere else and with my Alaska cruise coming up, thought it would be good to get Alaska specific answers. We see a lot of "what do you wish you had taken," so what do you wish you hadn't packed or ended up not needing?

I packed too many evening dressy clothes. I could have easily gotten by with two blouses and one pair of dressy slacks (and I love to dress up). I would have been fine with one pair of dressier shoes and just my gortex hiking boots, didn’t need the low rise sneakers (or visa versa). I never wore my rainpants, we had great weather and water excursion operators were prepared to supply us if needed. One bathing suit was fine, I never wore the second one (hot tubs). I’d also brought flip flop style sandels for the pool and a coverup, but so many people wore bathrobes and slippers that I decided “why not?” Also did not need jeans, wore alternating two pairs of leggings with thermals underneath and layered tops.

I sailed on the Celebrity Millennium this past May. This trip has challenged me to creatively downsize from now on. We brought two carryons and one checked bag and I’m determined to carry on only next time. Maybe ;).

From a man’s perspective, I will no longer pack a suit. It definitely was not needed. I will bring one dress shirt and 2 ties for formal nights on all cruises in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I packed too many evening dressy clothes. I could have easily gotten by with two blouses and one pair of dressy slacks (and I love to dress up). I would have been fine with one pair of dressier shoes and just my gortex hiking boots, didn’t need the low rise sneakers (or visa versa). I never wore my rainpants, we had great weather and water excursion operators were prepared to supply us if needed. One bathing suit was fine, I never wore the second one (hot tubs). I’d also brought flip flop style sandels for the pool and a coverup, but so many people wore bathrobes and slippers that I decided “why not?” Also did not need jeans, wore alternating two pairs of leggings with thermals underneath and layered tops.

I sailed on the Celebrity Millennium this past May. This trip has challenged me to creatively downsize from now on. We brought two carryons and one checked bag and I’m determined to carry on only next time. Maybe ;).

Thank you for some inspiration. I also love to dress up and am working on a packing list now. I think the biggest thing for me will be the weather and not really knowing what to expect until we are a day or two out from departure.

I saw this posted somewhere else and with my Alaska cruise coming up, thought it would be good to get Alaska specific answers. We see a lot of "what do you wish you had taken," so what do you wish you hadn't packed or ended up not needing?
Didn't wear the dress/heels I took, didn't really need all of the jeans I brought, could have worn each more than twice.

I *wish* I could find a shoe that is more stylish than tennis shoes but just as comfortable for daytime wear. Bonus if it's water resistant! In Ketchikan last time it was a downpour with strong winds. We ended up going into a kind of old time department store near the port where I bought a pair of Born boots because my feet were so wet, and I still wear them all the time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

Didn't wear the dress/heels I took, didn't really need all of the jeans I brought, could have worn each more than twice.

I *wish* I could find a shoe that is more stylish than tennis shoes but just as comfortable for daytime wear. Bonus if it's water resistant! In Ketchikan last time it was a downpour with strong winds. We ended up going into a kind of old time department store near the port where I bought a pair of Born boots because my feet were so wet, and I still wear them all the time.

My favorite water-proof nicer-than-tennis shoe is a the Dansko Paisley. Wore them on my most recent cruise - definitely a multi-purpose shoe (and they are slip-resistant!).

As for what not to bring, I second the too many dress clothes. I had two dresses and a nice dress outfit that I never wore.

The other thing that I didn't need was an over-the-door shoe organizer for stuff. Everyone swears by them, and maybe if you have a whole family traveling they are good, but for just the two of us I found that the cabin drawers and shelves were enough.

I also brought warmer clothes/pjs for wearing in the cabin and I didn't need those - just a regular night gown was warm enough (the bedding was really warm).

I *wish* I could find a shoe that is more stylish than tennis shoes but just as comfortable for daytime wear. Bonus if it's water resistant!

I don't know if this is stylish enough for you (and I can totally appreciate wanting style and functionality together), but in my search for waterproof walking shoes (or low hikers), I ended up buying Merrells in their Moab line. The ones I bought I think are stylish in a "hipster hiker" kind of way ;p and seem to be very well made. I searched "waterproof walking shoes" on Amazon, and found shoes I liked for all of us.

I don't know if this is stylish enough for you (and I can totally appreciate wanting style and functionality together), but in my search for waterproof walking shoes (or low hikers), I ended up buying Merrells in their Moab line. The ones I bought I think are stylish in a "hipster hiker" kind of way ;p and seem to be very well made. I searched "waterproof walking shoes" on Amazon, and found shoes I liked for all of us.

I have tried and tried with Merrells but their sizing seems to run really small and a 10 (which is my usual size and works for nearly all brands) is too small and the 11 (when they have it) doesn't fit right. I think I really mostly need "town" shoes, not planning any hiking excursions.

I just inventoried my closet and found a pair of Born booties I forgot I have that are really comfortable

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61BTV2644OL._AC_UY600_.jpg

And bought myself another similar style.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61-R2zop8EL._AC_UL1500_.jpg

Edited by mbuenzli
Bad link

Binoculars.

I may be in the minority, but we brought a good pair of binoculars on our last trip, and simply didn't use them. On our trips, our feelings has been that everything worth seeing, can easily be seen with the naked eye.

There's probably a time and place for binoculars on an Alaskan cruise, but for most people, they may just be added (expensive and easily breakable) space.

Bought these Uggs for Baltic cruise and wore them every day - water resistant, warm and so comfortable - will be bringing them on our Alaska cruise next May!

https://www.ugg.com/women-sale/bethany/1012532.html?dwvar_1012532_color=CHE#q=bethany&start=2&cgid=

Binoculars.

I may be in the minority, but we brought a good pair of binoculars on our last trip, and simply didn't use them. On our trips, our feelings has been that everything worth seeing, can easily be seen with the naked eye.

There's probably a time and place for binoculars on an Alaskan cruise, but for most people, they may just be added (expensive and easily breakable) space.

I totally disagree with this. What if the only bear (or moose or wolf etc.) that you see on your trip is several hundred yards away? You might be able to see it with the naked eye but do you really SEE it? A pair of binoculars brings things in closer so you can actually see what you are looking at. I have a small, pocket sized pair of binoculars and I never travel without them. To each their own, I guess.

Bought these Uggs for Baltic cruise and wore them every day - water resistant, warm and so comfortable - will be bringing them on our Alaska cruise next May!

https://www.ugg.com/women-sale/bethany/1012532.html?dwvar_1012532_color=CHE#q=bethany&start=2&cgid=

Those look nice. I didn't know Uggs made a more structured boot.

As for what not to bring, I second the too many dress clothes. I had two dresses and a nice dress outfit that I never wore.

The other thing that I didn't need was an over-the-door shoe organizer for stuff. Everyone swears by them, and maybe if you have a whole family traveling they are good, but for just the two of us I found that the cabin drawers and shelves were enough.

I also brought warmer clothes/pjs for wearing in the cabin and I didn't need those - just a regular night gown was warm enough (the bedding was really warm).

Absolutely concur with the pjs! I was SO hot, especially on the land portion of our trip. Also had plenty of drawer and bathroom space.

The other thing that I didn't need was an over-the-door shoe organizer for stuff. Everyone swears by them, and maybe if you have a whole family traveling they are good, but for just the two of us I found that the cabin drawers and shelves were enough. .

And here I thought I was the only person in the world (the CC world that is) that didn't have a use for the over the door organizer!

But loving this thread for the very unexpected Alaska cruise we are planning. I can pack for the Caribbean in my sleep....