Spirit - Tipping .....

bluesea777

.... currency .... what is the recommended currency for tipping since the SPIRIT is based within the Mediterranean year around, where the main currency is Euro?

Caught you!! You must think "Oh no! Not another tipping thread!".

When we have UBP we like to tip a dollar (US dollar bill) for each drink order we make. Now, we're going on the Spirit in April and would like to know whether to tip the staff in US$ or in Euros.

Also the room steward and the key staff members (on top of the DSC).

Which would the staff prefer?

THANKS!

I asked on the Spirit last year, and the answer I was given is that they don’t mind.

A slight preference was stated for Euros, purely because one Euro is worth more than a dollar.

I just give whatever is more convenient to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are going to tip in actual cash and you want to tip in local currency then tip one Euro per drink. Most people tip via the gratuity line on the slip which is in USD. Just because it is easier I deal in round numbers of 1 USD per drink. I have never heard of a line that allows you to tip via room charge in your preferred currency.

If you want to tip more via room charge then increase your tip in USD, but writing the euro next to the tip line is not going to solve the problem.

Most cruisers who will be Europeans on a Europe based cruise will not be tipping bar tenders etc per drink, they may tip a few euros at end of night if they have been served by same server several times. Most cruisers will tip a few euros or $ at end of cruise to steward , favourite bar staff etc.

The constant tipping for anything is very much an American thing and not common elsewhere in the world.

If you are going to tip in actual cash and you want to tip in local currency then tip one Euro per drink. Most people tip via the gratuity line on the slip which is in USD. Just because it is easier I deal in round numbers of 1 USD per drink. I have never heard of a line that allows you to tip via room charge in your preferred currency.

If you want to tip more via room charge then increase your tip in USD, but writing the euro next to the tip line is not going to solve the problem.

If you have the UBP then there is no slip, so no tip line to add to.

Most cruisers who will be Europeans on a Europe based cruise will not be tipping bar tenders etc per drink, they may tip a few euros at end of night if they have been served by same server several times. Most cruisers will tip a few euros or $ at end of cruise to steward , favourite bar staff etc.

The constant tipping for anything is very much an American thing and not common elsewhere in the world.

We’ve been on the Spirit 4 times and as a European we just don’t constant tip. We tend to tip favourite bar staff every few days and the cabin steward at the end of the cruise , they are always happy with Euros.

Thank you for asking as I was wondering the same thing! We also will be on the Spirit in April and was unsure if we should tip in USD or Euros. We do the same, $1/drink in cash (but we do not have UBP).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure what the relevance is between your post and my comment that you tried to quote.

Just saying that when purchasing the UBP on Norwegian Spirit an extra charge is levied at the time of purchase (to cover tips) based on the daily price of the package - note also that this still applies when a free UBP is offered

Just saying that when purchasing the UBP on Norwegian Spirit an extra charge is levied at the time of purchase (to cover tips) based on the daily price of the package - note also that this still applies when a free UBP is offered

Yes, although you only get charged the extra on the promo UBP in some countries.