New to snorkling

I_am_Brad

I'm going on a trip this winter to Belize, Costa Maya, Roatan, and Cozumel.

I'll probably do one or two excursions at some point, but I was thinking of getting my feet wet at some point. What I'm thinking of doing is buying my own gear (I don't even drink after people. Cannot fathom sticking a shared snorkel in my mouth).

I've been looking at some of the excursions, and the look nice, but how feasible would it be to just go out to the beach and snorkel? Is it worth it to bring your own stuff?

Are there any good spots?

If cab/transportation is needed, how reasonable is it around these places?

I'm a strong swimmer so I'm not worried about that, but would still like to be reasonably close to normal swimming/beach areas just for peace of mind...unless I can find others going to the same spots.

Thanks a bunch

I can't speak to the other ports, but I will share our experiences on Roatan and Cozumel.

Before that, I would say that if you are planning to snorkel without a buddy or group, it's REALLY important to be sure you know enough about the beach, and consider the traffic (jet skis, boats), currents, weather issues/winds carefully.

On Roatan, I know the cruise lines have set up an easy to access beach that will surely have many other people there.

We just walked down to the taxi stand and arranged to have a driver take us around the island. We got a nice tour, got to interact with monkeys, and went to a beautiful beach with easy resort beach access to snorkeling. Sand flea bites were the only downside.

In Cozumel I went as a snorkeler on a dive boat, and it wasn't great. The water was deep and choppy, there were lots of dive boats around. Our boat driver kept a sharp eye on me, but it was still not a very relaxing experience. I think there are much better options -- check TripAdvisor and search for snorkeling Cozumel.

As for equipment -- if you think it's something you want to do regularly, it might be worth a full investment in your own gear. A clorox wipe in a ziplock (be sure to rinse) is enough to take care of any rental mouthguard concerns. Upsides to buying your own gear: comfortable fins that don't rub, a mask that fits well, a snorkel that doesn't backwash. Most larger vendors and trips have lots to choose from, however, so you get a chance to try and choose and switch out if something isn't working for you.

Safety-wise, a swim vest is a great investment in a peace of mind. Some excursions require and provide them. Going on your own I would say it's a must.

A little dish soap inside of mask, rinse and don helps keep you more fog free.

My other word of advice -- make sure to keep regular tabs on your location/relation to the shore/boat/etc. because it's very easy to get so involved in watching and following something cool and loose track of how far away you've gotten from home base.

Also, please remember coral are alive and very fragile -- it takes an enormously long time to develop a reef and just a few careless bicycle kicks, hand grabs etc. to kill off a part of it.

Hope you have a great time and see lots of stuff!

HCBI

Just my two cents' worth....

In Belize, you should seriously consider a ship excursion for snorkeling. We went to Goff's Cay [a tiny island] and were picked up right at the ship and taken there. No long tender both ways and also trips in and out on the snorkel boat. I don't think they do GC anymore, but I think there are other excursions right from the ship. we loved this snorkel trip.

In Roatan, we booked with Rony and got his father as our driver. We did the South Shore zipline and then he took us to a beach [maybe West End?] that was nearby. This was a beach where a snorkeler got run over by a boat a couple of months before. We discussed this with our driver and he took us to the very end of the beach [near a big rocky area] and said to snorkel there, as it would be away from any boat traffic. The snorkeling was very good. No shade here [or very little] - we try to stay out of the sun as much as possible. I don't remember the price, but we thought it was very reasonable. There are lots of bars and people nearby, so no worries about being alone.

Haven't snorkeled in Costa Maya, as we'd read it wasn't really that great unless you go out on a boat. We like to snorkel from the beach mostly, so we made this day [the two times we were there] non-snorkel days. There's not much to CM.

In Coz, we've gone down to Chankanaab Park twice and really liked it. [see their website.] It's easy to get a cab down and back. The most-recent time we went [about two years ago] the snorkeling was very good, although a group [led by someone from the park] came through and they were a bunch of true beginners and kind of ruined things with their flailing around, etc. But we were ready to get out anyway. Had a great time both times.

We always take our own gear. We bought "travel fins" and are considering not taking them in November when we go, as they're still pretty heavy. We figure we may just rent them there. We also have inflatable vests. On some excursions they require you to wear a vest and even a deflated vest will do. We bought wet suits a couple of years ago and have found that we really like using them. I'm really thin and tend to get cold quickly, so the wet suit helps a lot, as well as helping buoyancy [don't need a vest then - even for a scardy-cat like me!], and providing sun protection [no more sunburn on the back of the legs!]. They're kind of a hassle to tote around, but we think they're worth it.

You can find info on any of these ports at the "Ports of Call" boards. That's how we found Rony, who was highly recommended there.

If you plan to snorkel more than once, you should certainly get your own gear. :cool:

Belize: There is great snorkeling here, but not near the port. Take an excursion, or a water taxi, to Caye Caulker. It's very close to the reef and there are plenty of guides there waiting to take people out.

Costa Maya: It may be worth hopping in right at the port. People complain about the rocky beach there, but those rocks attract fish! If you want to see live coral though, you'll need to take an excursion, or go to Almaplena Eco Beach Resort. It's all inclusive, but reasonable... and has the only live reef (that I know of) accessible from shore.

Cozumel: There are plenty of places with decent snorkeling right from shore. Many people rave about Chankanaab, but it's expensive and no better than "The Money Bar", which lets you use their facilities for free.

Roatan: This is the "Do Not Miss" snorkeling destination of your cruise. West Bay Beach is our favorite spot, because the reef runs right up to the beach. There are many ways to get there, including leaving the port terminal and just grabbing one of the cabs waiting outside the gate. (Their prices are all negotiable.) We use Bananarama's $35 deal which includes transportation, a lounge chair, a "Welcome Drink", and use of their facilities. Here's what it looks like from the air...

20281e30-9dc6-4bcf-a91f-7737802fc90e.jpg?rnd=0.1927258

Excellent. Thanks for the tips guys. It looks like this fits right in with what I was wanting to do anyway. I have a few things in Belize I want to do, and figured Costa Maya would just be a lazy sort of wander around day.

happycat, I'm just weird. It just grosses me out to think about all the mouths that have been sucking on that snorkel. I know it's completely irrational, considering the ocean isn't exactly squeaky clean. :)

Thanks for the safety tips too. All good things to keep in mind.

Looks like Roatan is the place to go then. That looks right up my alley as I will be content to walk around along the beach, and get in the water when the mood strikes. Don't know about the beach club thing though. It sounds like a good deal, but not sure if I want to stay in one spot all day with all that beach.

Armedaneian, is it pretty easy to walk up somewhere and get a decent bite to eat if you don't go to one? Are there any more "local" restaurants in the area you were talking about? What's the bathroom situation like if you don't use a club?

sharks48 I was thinking about Chankanaab Park. The reviews look very nice. If you book one of the encounters there, do you still need to pay admission on top?

From what you guys all said, I'll probably go ahead and get my own gear. Just having the option there, and not having to share, makes it worthwhile to me. Any tips on buying?

Edited by I_am_Brad

Armedaneian, is it pretty easy to walk up somewhere and get a decent bite to eat if you don't go to one? Are there any more "local" restaurants in the area you were talking about? What's the bathroom situation like if you don't use a club?

We always go to a place called Celeste's. It's on the main road in front of the beach resorts. We like their Baleadas, a Honduran staple. (The lobster ones are particularly yummy.) :) Many of the resorts on West Bay Beach serve food and welcome walk-in business. If you're eating there, you're a customer, and they won't have a problem with you using their facilities. Other than that, there aren't any bathrooms on West Bay Beach. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Brad: Not sure about the policy at Chank in re the dolphin swim, but my guess would be you'd have to pay park admission, unless it's included in the cost of the dolphin swim.

That snorkel beach in Roatan WAS West Bay Beach [not West End - sorry]. We went to the very end of the beach, down by the huge rock wall, at the suggestion of our cab driver. We had told him we were concerned about snorkeling near the beach clubs because of a fatal accident there with the boats coming in and out [one ran over a snorkeler]. He assured us the end of the beach was perfectly safe and he was right. We even managed to find a bit of shade down there and the snorkeling was really good!

We love Chankanaab in Cozumel. The snorkeling is awesome there and it's a National Park, which is absolutely beautiful. There's more to do there as well. I have 2 reviews with tons of pictures you can click on in my signature line.

Also in Roatan there's an island called Maya Key and the snorkeling there is simply AMAZING. You walk down the dock and climb down the ladder and boom, you are at the most amazing snorkeling area ever. Then you swim out following the "path" and you go to the big open ocean with no bottom or end. It's amazing. I have a long review of it in my signature line as well. :)

Thanks for the clarification Sharks.

Thanks Sarasa, that was exactly what I wanted to know.

Mitsu, thanks for the response. You're review is one of the reasons I am still considering chankanaab. It's our first stop, so wasn't too sure about something so laid back. It looks fun though, so I am leaning towards it.

Thanks for the tip on Roatan. I'm still on the fence there. It looks like it would be hard to find a bad place on Roatan to snorkel.

I snorkeled off the beach in Costa Maya. Just off the boat pier before you get to the big swimming beach is a rocky area and i found it pretty interesting in terms of fish and stuff. I don't snorkel a lot, though, so I impress easily.

Mask, fins and snorkel are good investments for sure. Make sure you get help fitting your mask so it works, they don't have to be expensive, in fact one of my favorite ones was $29.99 I don't suggest buying your own snorkel vest, the only time I wear the snorkel vest is when it is required. I have been swimming since before I could walk and am at home in the ocean...the vest just gets in the way imho. As far as things to know...be respectful of others in the water, small flutter kicks work wonders...don't hit people in the head...and above all else, respect the reef and don't take anything and don't leave anything;)

Have a blast!

• 2 weeks later...

Always wear a sun protective shirt because head down looking at the wonders below and reflective water scorches the skin. This you find out after the fact. We are using H2O in Cozumel which is just for snorkelers a lesson I learned in Fiji, do not join divers it was not meant to be leave it at that. In Rotan the year we were there we could not snorkel as the ocean was filled with very small jelly fish that clogged the snorkel! Coral scrapes are mean so avoid touching or getting too close as bad infections can come frame the live organisms.

I'm not a strong swimmer after 3 shoulder surgeries and limited mobility with the left. However I love to snorkel. We have our own gear. I have the us divers travel set, ladies in pink. I really like that the snorkel has both wave protection and it is a dry snorkel, which means is you submerge the top closes. I also have my own snorkel vest. DH has the blue us divers travel which has the wave protection but is not a dry snorkel. He is a much better swimmer and does not use a vest.

We snorkeled in Cozumel at the Money Bar. It was good but the current can suddenly get strong. Also the tour boats bringing people up don't seem to pay much attention to the snorkelers in the water. You have to watch out.

Next spring we will likely use Chankanaab for the snorkeling. This will be our DD's this time and it will be worth paying the admission to have other options for them. We've done the Dolphin, Manatee and sea Lion experience there 3yrs ago.

For Roatan we're considering Maya Key. It's only by ship excursion but a private island and the snorkeling is supposed to be fantastic.

For Belize we are either going to snorkel with the sharks ( if we can make sure about transport) or cave tube.

We're doing Caymans like last time because we love the snorkeling there. Not sure about Costa maya.

But DEFINITLY get your own equipment! It not hard to carry and most sets come with a bag.

In Rotan the year we were there we could not snorkel as the ocean was filled with very small jelly fish that clogged the snorkel!

Why would you suck water, and it's suspended jellies, through your snorkel?

Coral scrapes are mean so avoid touching or getting too close as bad infections can come frame the live organisms.

I'm not concerned about people infecting themselves... just don't do it on the coral. That makes it die, which hurts the ecosystem, and ruins the view for others. ;)

Yes we do not want to harm the coral but also there are bacteria and coral organisms that imbed in your skin and can cause great problems. Remember accidents happen so protect yourself.

With Roatan waves do come up over a snorkel and you could not see because of the cloudiness of the large numbers of them. We have very high quality equipment because we snorkel all over the world.

Going to grand cayman again and would love to hear anyone's favourite spot.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question for anyone who might know. I now have two sets of swim fins, one the standard size (long) Body Glove from Costco which I have used for a number of years. Then I just found one of those shorty pairs - Speedo brand, which I have not had an opportunity to try out yet but would take up a lot less space in my suitcase. Now, keeping in mind that I am not short in the natural buoyancy department, would I be as happy with these new short swim fins for snorkeling as with the long ones? Anyone know?

I have a question for anyone who might know. I now have two sets of swim fins, one the standard size (long) Body Glove from Costco which I have used for a number of years. Then I just found one of those shorty pairs - Speedo brand, which I have not had an opportunity to try out yet but would take up a lot less space in my suitcase. Now, keeping in mind that I am not short in the natural buoyancy department, would I be as happy with these new short swim fins for snorkeling as with the long ones? Anyone know?

Just my opinion, but I love my travel fins. It not only saves space in my suitcase, but they work great. I have never had a problem with speed or maneuverability. They are designed in a way to help with that issue of them being shorter. Mine are by US Divers.

P5120100-L.jpg

Just my opinion, but I love my travel fins. It not only saves space in my suitcase, but they work great. I have never had a problem with speed or maneuverability. They are designed in a way to help with that issue of them being shorter. Mine are by US Divers.

P5120100-L.jpg

Yours look a bit wider than mine, but I think I'm gonna give them a try. Thanks so much for your response!

Edited by cruznbuddies

Yours look a bit wider than mine, but I think I'm gonna give them a try. Thanks so much for your response!

Yea, they are a bit wide and I love them. It came with a carrying case and everything (and more) fits in there nicely. I did end up buying the water snorkel socks and they are awesome. They keep me from getting blisters and makes it easy to walk in the sand once I take the fins off.

P5120100-L.jpg

I have the exact set and they worked great. DH has the blue set which are essentially the same fins, he just does not have the dry snorkel.

Th only thing to remember is that is rough current they do not have quite as much propulsion power and you may have to kick harder.

But the shorter fins are great for travel.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a good article on why you should buy your own snorkel gear:

http://blog.sunplay.com/news/buying-vs-renting-snorkel-equipment/

Also, we did Carnival's Private Island Retreat on Roatan and while the island wasn't that exciting it was the best snorkeling I have seen in the Caribbean or Hawaii. I am sure there are probably more beaches that you can get too without the excursion that would be comparable as I think other posters have said about the reef system at Roatan.