Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:39 AM.
toronto, ontario,canada
637 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
We are getting into Budapest from Vienna by train prior to our river cruise. I am hearing bad things about the train station and especially getting a taxi outside the station to go to our hotel. Anyone have experience with taxis in Budapest or what to do from the train station. My phone won't work there so can't call for a taxi.
Charleston, SC
123 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Originally posted by bjay3
We are getting into Budapest from Vienna by train prior to our river cruise. I am hearing bad things about the train station and especially getting a taxi outside the station to go to our hotel. Anyone have experience with taxis in Budapest or what to do from the train station. My phone won't work there so can't call for a taxi.

When in Budapest we found Uber to be cheaper and better than taxis or public transportation...and again really cheap.
1,015 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
Hi BJ,

Can you get in touch with your hotel and have them call a cab for you?

Can you purchase a phone card to be used in Budapest?

Can you arrange for a limo to meet you at the train station? We use Blacklane.

My experience with cabs in Middle Europe is that it is best to call a reputable firm rather than hope to pick up an honest cab on the street.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Alexandria, Ohio
60 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
We, too, were told to only book cabs through the hotel or restaurant. The one time we had to use one the driver was super nice, cab was clean and the fare was very reasonable. We were kind of left stranded by the Hop-On, Hop-Off and went into a nearby hotel to have them call one for us.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Anne

01/19/18 Celebrity Reflection
11/10/2016 AmaViola
02/02/2015 Celebrity Constellation
01/23/2015 HAL m/s Zuiderdam
3/23/2014 AmaDolce
11/21/2012 Disney Dream
01/12/2011 HAL m/s Zaandam
01//11/2010 Celebrity Millenium
12/20/2008 Emerald Princess
1/10/2004 Celebrity Century
and a couple more I can't find info on!
US
400 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
I have used BUDAPEST taxis at the airport and train station. Only use the cars in the rank and ignore anyone who approaches you, the meter will start w a small amount on it already. When I travel, I save the local hotel front desk number and a few local authorized taxis to my phone. The dispatchers speak English and it's worth the effort to not be stuck somewhere.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Conway, AR USA
1,825 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
Originally posted by MURPHY27
I have used BUDAPEST taxis at the airport and train station. Only use the cars in the rank and ignore anyone who approaches you, the meter will start w a small amount on it already. When I travel, I save the local hotel front desk number and a few local authorized taxis to my phone. The dispatchers speak English and it's worth the effort to not be stuck somewhere.
We prebooked private transportation from the airport to our hotel and were very satisfied. The driver was waiting for us and easy transfer. Less anxiety worrying about getting a cab, standing in the waiting line, etc. We booked through Viator and they were in contact with us any time we had a question or when we had to delay pickup an hour due to flight change. I am sure you can book as easily from the train station. Charge was $70, but well worth every penny.
Cole
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
B. Cole
Houston, TX
5,204 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
I second the UBER recommendation. We were pleased with our ride from the hotel to the airport post-cruise. It was about 3/4 of the cost of the hotel arranged car which was about the same as a taxi would have been.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
CruiseBlog: www.CruisinWithClay.wordpress.com
9/14/18 GoogleDoc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Norwegian Cruise Lines Platinum
Sailed: NCL Gem-Southern Carribean-April 2017 / Viking Njord-Danube-April 2016 / NCL Sun-Panama Canal-April 2015 / PRINCESS Caribbean Princess-Western Caribbean-Jan 2014 / NCL Jade- Rome to Venice - April 2013/NCL Gem- Canada - Sep 2012 /NCL Sun - Western Caribbean - Oct 2010 / NCL Sun - South America - March 2010 / Costa Atlantica - Caribbean - Nov 2009 / NCL Star-Mexican Riviera-Thanksgiving 2008 / NCL Jade-Eastern Med-Apr-May 2008 - 50th Birthday Celebration / Celebrity Infinity-Southern Caribbean-March 2006-Atlantis Charter / NCL Sun-Western Caribbean-New Years 2005 / Celebrity Summit-Alaska-August 2003-DDP's 40th Birthday Celebration / Carnival Mardi Gras-Eastern Caribbean-March 1980
136 Days at Sea.....not nearly enough!
Melbourne, FL
8,393 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
OP says their phone won't work .....

how then does one get UBER?

OP, have you looked into adding 'international service' to your phone? When I travel I do and it really isn't very expensive ...... if you have a 'modern smart phone' you need no other special equipment. Right now my iPhone 6 can be used virtually anyplace in EU 'on demand' ... if I make a call or send a text it costs $10 for the day (24 hours) and my existing limits (minutes and data) apply. This works fine for quick trips where I use the phone for emergencies only. For longer trips I buy blocks of minutes and data .... usually $40 a month carries me very well ....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Capt BJ

Costa (1982), Commodore, NCL, Windstar, Princess,
DCL, RCL, Viking River, Cunard (TA)
50+ cruises; up next Viking Ocean
USCG Captain, retired - 6 ships, 2 commands, 12 yrs @ sea
Shellback, Golden Dragon, Bering Sea winter vet
Tall ship sailor
Charleston, SC
123 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Uber was even cheaper & much easier than taxis & public transportation. Most of our trips were about $8-$10 from Old Town where we were staying at the Hilton to the Pest side. We obtained international internet access for Uber acces by purchasing a SIM card before we left home & swapped out the card once we arrived in Europe. If anyone wants the name of the company we purchased the prepaid SIM card from I can look for the contact information.
Long Island, NY
6,645 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
I'm wondering if there is an official taxi line at the train station as there is at the airport. At the airport there is a booth where the person assigns you the taxi and tells you the fare. All on the up and up. I would go over to TripAdvisor and ask on the Budapest forums. There are always locals willing to assist.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Key Largo, Florida
2,747 Posts
Joined Aug 2001
Originally posted by aly7859
Uber was even cheaper & much easier than taxis & public transportation. Most of our trips were about $8-$10 from Old Town where we were staying at the Hilton to the Pest side. We obtained international internet access for Uber acces by purchasing a SIM card before we left home & swapped out the card once we arrived in Europe. If anyone wants the name of the company we purchased the prepaid SIM card from I can look for the contact information.
I would if it's easy for you!!! Thanks
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Cruise 16 cruises
NCL 12 cruise
HAL 10 cruises
Celebrity 4 cruise
RCC 1 cruise
Princess 1 cruise
NCL Pearl 2/27
Celebrity Summit April 2005
Celebrity Millennium Auckland to Honolulu April 2009
HAL Westerdam July 2010 19 day Norway, British Isles cruise
7/26 HAL Westerdam Fjords and Celtic Legends
Ncl Spirt 12/5/2010
NCL Sky 12/31/2010
2/2011 Infinity Antarctica
TA Celebrity Silhouette 10/22/11
NCL Spirt 12/04/2011
Celebrity Millennium Jan 5 2012
RCCL Majesty of the Seas 3/16/12
Celebrity Silhouette 12/01/12
NCL Epic 2/23/13
NCL Pearl Alaska 05/19/13
Celebrity Infinity 10/24/13
NCL Sky 8/16/2013
NCL Getaway 2/14
Getaway 8/14
Equinox 10/14
Getaway 1/15
Serenade of the Sea 10/15
Escape 11/28/15
Escape 2/6/16
10/19/15. RCCL. Serenade of the Sea
Escape 11/16

Future
Vision of the Sea 4/17
Escape 6/17

If you REJECT the food, IGNORE the customs, FEAR the religion, and AVOID the people, you might better stay home.
Charleston, SC
123 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Here is the data card we purchased. This worked so well to communicate with those also travelling with us as we communicated by Facebook Messenger...very cheap.

http://www.telestial.com/data.php
Oh, you all probably already know this but just make sure you have an unlocked cell phone so you can swap out the SIM card.
United States
223 Posts
Joined May 2014
Originally posted by Got2Cruise
I'm wondering if there is an official taxi line at the train station as there is at the airport. At the airport there is a booth where the person assigns you the taxi and tells you the fare. All on the up and up. I would go over to TripAdvisor and ask on the Budapest forums. There are always locals willing to assist.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Agree, airport couldn't be easier. Just hand the person in the booth your hotel address. No need for a phone or concerns with baggage delays. It was about $22 usd to our hotel by the great market.
2 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
I would love to know where you purchased the SIM card!