Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:54 PM.
1,028 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by bocaraton
We do not mind sharing at all. We were very thorough and hope they work out. We like to do more things in depth and spend less on hotels etc. But, we would not pick a low end hotel..but the differences go a long way. However, private guides are expensive. If you research you can ask to see specific things and they do a better job when they think you know something of the area. Their prices are high and non negotiable. So, do not be shocked. To us it is worth it.
please tell them we sent you so maybe they will see we both network and do a superior job. I will private message you our name and email. Our guides are Prague: Martin Belhodoratsky (we took him after several others were booked). His website not that impressive, but our communication with him is excellent. Our guide office for Budapest is Andrea Makkey. She could not do it as booked but is sending someone who sounds great. Again she was booked. OUr two hotels are : In Prague the Maximilian, In Budapest: The Gerloscy. They both are small and charming. One actually recommended by Rick Steves. Both are central. I have arranged for each of them to pick us up by taxi..In Prague from the airport and in Budapest from the dock. When we get off in Budapest, the guide is meeting us at hotel at 10 am. and will review what Ama showed us on the 1/2 day tour and will not duplicate unless we want. for 1/2 day we are doing old city on foot..with emphasis on Jewish qrtrs. You may not want to spend us much time there. But old city has other stuff and is for doing by foot. Next day we are doing a huge amount of rest of city by van or car. We still are trying to find someone compatible to share the guides. But really all told if it adds up to Ama's price, I still think we have the best. We are not going back in the morning :-) and want to see as much as we can in depth without getting exhausted. I will private email you my email and name so you can ask me anything about this. If you remember, we will be back July 5 and you can email us and we will tell you about experiences, but guides book up very early. We are NOT the only geniuses who do this. Hope this helps.
You've got mail
1,028 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
sippican Thank you for the link. I have read good reviews about her. I am glad to have some good recommendations to check out. Love that about this site!

We also have booked Andrea for a Budapest tour. Not sure when your trip is, but hopefully you will review and let us know how it all went.
Boca Raton Florida
792 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Originally posted by purduemom1
sippican Thank you for the link. I have read good reviews about her. I am glad to have some good recommendations to check out. Love that about this site!

We also have booked Andrea for a Budapest tour. Not sure when your trip is, but hopefully you will review and let us know how it all went.
Andrea was booked for our dates so she gave us someone else who seems to meet all our criteria. Ours is in June which is soon and we are very happy with all Andrea has done to follow through.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Most of signature disappeared . Have travelled on many cruises worldwide. Royal Caribbean, with children, Azamara, and CELEBRITY. Love Celebrity the most. Hope to keep on cruising for many years.
Wht Mts, NH - Gulf Coast, FL
3,022 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
Originally posted by purduemom1
We are on the July 8th sailing. Seems like it is coming up quickly now that May is here.
We will be sure to report back. River cruising will be a new experience for us and we are really looking forward to the trip.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming Up:
Celebrity Xpedition - Galapagos
Celebrity Millennium - China, South Korea,Japan
Celebrity Solstice - Australia to Hawaii
Past Cruises:
Celebrity Summit - Bahamas
Celebrity Reflection - Med & Greek Isles
Coral Princess - Partial Transit Panama Canal
Celebrity Silhouette - Transatlantic
Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas - Arctic Circle
Disney Fantasy - Souhern Caribbean
AMAPrima - Danube, Prague to Budapest
Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas - Southern Carib.
Carnival Imagination - Western Carib.
Carnival Valor - Southern Carib.
Norwegian Sun - Baltics, Copenhagen, St Petersburg
Royal Caribbean Brilliance - Mediterranean, Spain Italy
Celebrity Infinity - Alaska
Royal Caribbean - Voyager of the Seas, Western Carib.
Royal Caribbean Nordic Prince - Bermuda
California
5 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Just wondering if any of you who did this trip back in 2014 would mind sharing a follow up as to how all your private bookings went. We are doing a Christmas one with AMA this Dec 2017 and looking to book hotels and guides on our own in Prague and Budapest and would love to hear your experiences with all if you don't mind sharing. Many Thanks.
Wht Mts, NH - Gulf Coast, FL
3,022 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
Originally posted by Cruisin Wannabe
Just wondering if any of you who did this trip back in 2014 would mind sharing a follow up as to how all your private bookings went. We are doing a Christmas one with AMA this Dec 2017 and looking to book hotels and guides on our own in Prague and Budapest and would love to hear your experiences with all if you don't mind sharing. Many Thanks.
Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Post #2 gives some details regarding what we did in Prague. It was wonderful! The guide was one of the best in all of our travels! Our tour was mainly done on foot, with some public transportation. Being in the same hotel as the AMA group worked out perfectly for us. We were able to take their shuttle directly to the ship on embarkation day, along with taking part in their planned excursion that day (for an additional fee, which I recall was very reasonable).
We also did a two night post-cruise stay in Budapest. We chose our own hotel and hired a private guide again. This tour was disappointing for a number of reasons and I would not recommend the guide (much was a repeat of AMA's offerings even though I had detailed our expectations in advance). We also did a DIY day, utilizing public transportation (very easy) and advance booking of some experiences such as the tour of Parliament.

You may find that it will be a bit challenging to make your own arrangements at this point in time as some hotels, guides and tours book up very early. It is a great itinerary!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming Up:
Celebrity Xpedition - Galapagos
Celebrity Millennium - China, South Korea,Japan
Celebrity Solstice - Australia to Hawaii
Past Cruises:
Celebrity Summit - Bahamas
Celebrity Reflection - Med & Greek Isles
Coral Princess - Partial Transit Panama Canal
Celebrity Silhouette - Transatlantic
Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas - Arctic Circle
Disney Fantasy - Souhern Caribbean
AMAPrima - Danube, Prague to Budapest
Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas - Southern Carib.
Carnival Imagination - Western Carib.
Carnival Valor - Southern Carib.
Norwegian Sun - Baltics, Copenhagen, St Petersburg
Royal Caribbean Brilliance - Mediterranean, Spain Italy
Celebrity Infinity - Alaska
Royal Caribbean - Voyager of the Seas, Western Carib.
Royal Caribbean Nordic Prince - Bermuda