Cesky Krumlov or Salzburg day excursion?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:46 PM.
95 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
My husband and I have never been on the Danube before and tend to not re-visit places, instead going to new areas each trip. Knowing that, would you recommend the CK or Salzburg excursion or staying in Linz for the day?
Thanks!
Alexandria, Ohio
65 Posts
Joined Mar 2014
Originally posted by gladgirl
My husband and I have never been on the Danube before and tend to not re-visit places, instead going to new areas each trip. Knowing that, would you recommend the CK or Salzburg excursion or staying in Linz for the day?
Thanks!
I did Salzburg because I am a Sound of Music fan. But the cruisers who did CK really enjoyed it, too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Anne

01/19/18 Celebrity Reflection
11/10/2016 AmaViola
02/02/2015 Celebrity Constellation
01/23/2015 HAL m/s Zuiderdam
3/23/2014 AmaDolce
11/21/2012 Disney Dream
01/12/2011 HAL m/s Zaandam
01//11/2010 Celebrity Millenium
12/20/2008 Emerald Princess
1/10/2004 Celebrity Century
and a couple more I can't find info on!
Toronto, Canada
1,060 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Salzburg is much more easily done on your own than CK, at either the beginning or end of your cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

AmaDara, Vietnam and Cambodia, 2017
Aegean Odyssey, Istanbul to Venice, 2015
Bike and Barge Holland, Bruges to Amsterdam, 2014
Uniworld, Vienna to Basel, 2011
Uniworld, Tulips and Windmills, Antwerp to Amsterdam, 2010
645 Posts
Joined Apr 2001
Just back from a July cruise on the Danube on Amawaterways. We did the Cesky Krumlov excursion. It was great! We did the morning tour in Linz (which seemed like a cool place to wander about), had lunch on boat then off to Cesky Krumlov. Beautiful place..it was so enjoyable looking at the river around it and watching the boaters go by.
A few I talked to found Salzburg to be crowded and very commercial..but if you are a Sound of Music fan that might be enjoyable.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1995 RCL Song of America, 1997 RCL Majesty of the Seas 1998 RCL Monarch of the Seas, 1999 RCL Viking Serenade, 2001 RSSC Mariner, 2007 DCL Magic, NCL Spirit, 2008 NCL Majesty, NCL Majesty, NCL Majesty, NCL Gem, 2009 NCL Majesty, NCL Majesty, NCL Majesty, 2010 RSSC Navigator, NCL Jewel, 2011 NCL Gem , NCL Gem, CCL Pride, 2012 NCL Jewel, NCL Star RSSC Navigator, 2013 Seabourn Legend, NCL Gem
2014 Crystal Serenity, 2015 NCL Getaway, Crystal Serenity 2016 NCL Star, NCL Spirit, 2017 AMA Stella, 2018 NCL Escape
Northern KY
1,218 Posts
Joined May 2006
I've been to all three, though didn't spend an extended amount of time in Linz. My favorite of the three is Salzburg. I didn't find it to be touristy, or crowded, at all. We saw more Mozart touristy "crap" than Sound of Music items. We stayed there two nights, pre-cruise, last year, and are scheduled to stay there two nights, post cruise, next year. Cesky Krumlov is cute, and quaint, and a photographer's dream. Linz is more an everyday, modern city, and I would make it my third choice.

Robin
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Toronto, Canada
1,060 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by acwmom
I've been to all three, though didn't spend an extended amount of time in Linz. My favorite of the three is Salzburg. I didn't find it to be touristy, or crowded, at all. We saw more Mozart touristy "crap" than Sound of Music items. We stayed there two nights, pre-cruise, last year, and are scheduled to stay there two nights, post cruise, next year. Cesky Krumlov is cute, and quaint, and a photographer's dream. Linz is more an everyday, modern city, and I would make it my third choice.

Robin
I just note that you didn't do Salzburg as a day trip from a river cruise; you actually stayed there. If everything you wanted to see had to be crammed into a few hours you might have a different reaction.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Northern KY
1,218 Posts
Joined May 2006
Originally posted by gnome12
I just note that you didn't do Salzburg as a day trip from a river cruise; you actually stayed there. If everything you wanted to see had to be crammed into a few hours you might have a different reaction.
OTOH, if I had never been to any of the three, Salzburg would be my first choice, regardless of how long I had to spend there

Robin
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Long Island, NY
6,857 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
Originally posted by rxlowry
Just back from a July cruise on the Danube on Amawaterways. We did the Cesky Krumlov excursion. It was great! We did the morning tour in Linz (which seemed like a cool place to wander about), had lunch on boat then off to Cesky Krumlov. Beautiful place..it was so enjoyable looking at the river around it and watching the boaters go by.

A few I talked to found Salzburg to be crowded and very commercial..but if you are a Sound of Music fan that might be enjoyable.

We didn't find Salzburg very commercial at all. We visited the fort which is authentic and enjoyed the musical festival of folk dances and songs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
San Diego
183 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
Some people on our cruise that took the day trip to Salzburg complained that most of their time was spent in transit and very little time in Salzburg itself.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Paris to the Swiss Alps (Viking Hild) June 2018 (pre and post extensions)
Paris & the Heart of Normandy (Viking Rolf) August 2017 (Oxford post extension)
Grand European Tour (Viking Modi) June 2016 (Bruges & Amsterdam pre, Prague post extensions)
Toronto, Canada
1,060 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by OneSixtyToOne
Some people on our cruise that took the day trip to Salzburg complained that most of their time was spent in transit and very little time in Salzburg itself.
How does that compare to CK?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

north america
81 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
We did the included CK excursion on our Avalon Danube trip last year. Nice picturesque country drive to CK, while others floated down the river to the next port. CK is a quaint little cobble street town with lots of little shops & eateries. Good photo ops if you're into that. Very friendly locals & safe to wander around by yourself. Heard from others that they also had a good time at Salzburg. No wrong choices here.
New Jersey, the Philly end
7,442 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
If your time in Linz also includes an opportunity to tour the Death Camp at Mauthausen, your decision becomes even complicated. That said, I agree with a pp, you can only make good decisions here.
australia
6 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
We did Cesky Krumlov in 2011 off a Avalon river cruise. We were very much taken with it and enjoyed the picturesque town.
Those that did the Sound Of Music tour were somewhat disappointed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums