Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:48 AM.
Peru, IL, USA
154 Posts
Joined Sep 2003
We are arriving one day early for our Avalon cruise. Avalon lists two choices for a hotel, Moevenpick Amsterdam City or Room Mate Aiyana. Looking for info on both hotels and any experiences if you used these properties.

Thanks

Dennis
United States
521 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Movenpick is right by the city docks for river cruises. Near the central train station and near where several canal boat cruises begin. We got a city pass that was good for 24 hours. If you are careful with planning you can cram in a lot between the day you arrive and boarding the ship in the afternoon. We used the card to visit Our Lord in the Attic, take a canal boat cruise, Van Gogh Museum, the Rijksmuseum, a canal side house museum and the Anne Frank house.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
191 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
nancyevans,
How much does the city pass cost? and where did you purchase the pass? Thanks for the info.

Ruimin

Sent from my iPad using Forums
United States
521 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
We got the IAmsterdam city card at the visitor center across from Amsterdam Central Station. IAmsterdam.com/citycard
Carefully check the sights it covers. Check for opening and closing times and the cost without the card to see if it is worth it for you.
It's good for 24 hours so we were at Our Lord in the Attic minutes after 4pm. Then we did the canal tour. Those run late. Next day we were at the Rijksmuseum when it opened with an app we down loaded from the museums web site. It guides you through the museums top attractions. Then we went to the nearby Van Gogh. Snag! You have to stand in line with the card. Hour or two. Some where along the line we visited the canal side mansion and went thru the flower market. The card covers public transport too but we did take a taxi to Anne Frank's house.
United States
521 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Ruining, you do to prebook the Anne Frank House but the cost, except for a booking fee, are covered by the pass. You need to book a time before the 24 hour pass expects. In our case, this was before 4 pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
The Netherlands, wintermonths in Puerto vallarta, Mexico
6,701 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
Riverships dock at various locations in Amsterdam. The PTA cruiseterminal is used by the large sea cruisehips. Only if they arenot there, then riverships often dock there. Other dockplaces for riverships are west and east of Centraal Station.
So any hotel in the vicinity of Centraal Station will be o.k.
Indeed Movenpick is at the cruise ship terminal. I donot know anything about the other hotel.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Last cruises: Koningsdam 27 August 2017 - Norway
Celebrity Millenium Asia, December 2016
RCCL Vision of the seas Med, october 15 2016.
Various cruises on HAL, Celebrity and Orient Lines (doesnot exist anymore)
1st cruise 1983 HAL "Volendam"[/b][/font]
1963 DH sailed Chandris Lines (Bretagne) from Australia to Europe.
Various trips by car through Europe, the USA and Mexico.
Frequent long winter stay in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.
2,450 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
I've stayed at the Movenpick - very nice hotel. Large rooms, well appointed. We had a room overlooking the IJ - lovely.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

8/9/2017 Norwegian Jade - 10 day Norwegian Fjords from London
6/13/2017 Oceania Nautica - Scandanavian Glory from Southhampton
4/14/2017 Viking Emerald - Imperial Jewels of China - 14 day - Beijing to Shanghai
11/2/2016 Celebrity Constellation - Israel and the Mediterannean
6/3/2015 - Oceania Marina -14 night Nordic Exploration
8/31/2014 - Diamond Princess -18 night r/t from Tokyo
10/27/2013 - RCCL Liberty of the Seas -Barcelona/Ft. Lauderdale
10/14/2013 - NCL Norwegian Spirit - Venice to Barcelona
May 2013 - Celebrity Constellation - Amsterdam/Amsterdam
5/5/2013 - Celebrity Constellation -Miami/Amsterdam
August 2011 - NCL Sun - Copenhagen/Copenhagen

EMAIL dogs4fun
Frisco, TX
176 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
We stayed at Movenpick before a cruise and upgraded to executive level. We had breakfast and then appetizers and wine/beer in evening and the best coffee machine in the lounge. It was pricey but very much worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums