Oriana cruise cancelled?

silversurf

That is why it is important to make people aware of their rights, they should mention package holiday regulations if P&O try to reject claims, they can follow up with the small claim court if P&O don't pay up for valid documented claims.

Also complains to ABTA.

Class action is the way forward... newly introduced law allows British courts to hear US-style class actions - where one or several people sue on behalf of a much larger group. The Consumer Rights Act 2015 will make it far easier for groups of consumers to seek compensation from firms that have fixed prices and formed cartels

If you read my post instead of just telling me I have no comprehension. You will see that I mentioned the regular overhaul which takes place every 5 years. Oriana had hers a year ago in Hamburg. Now clearly something has gone wrong since then and it has to be put right.

Try not to be so insulting in future.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You are talking about totally different things. A ship cannot run for 5 years without essential maintenance. The overhaul you speak of in Hamburg involves dry dock and a complete scraping and repainting of the underwater hull.

Ships do not just break down. Everything on them has a computer linked to every part feeding the engineers information. They would have had sufficient warning that work needed to be done. Not only that ships are also constantly getting repaired underway with replacement parts often sent to ports that are part of the cruise itinerary.

This is a situation where P&O's management set out a long work schedule and neglected to put into that schedule essential maintenance and as a result they were forced to pull it out of service to do repairs incurring more cost to the company than it would have cost to be on the safe side and schedule maintenance in advance and have black out day for those cruises.

I would love to see posts from claimants when they have received their responses from P&O. Do you really think they are going to pay for formal dress, etc? In your dreams, i'm afraid.:rolleyes:

I suspect you are right and that they won't but perhaps they should.

It is after all in their rules that pax adhere to formal night dres codes. For first time cruisers or those first time on a more formal ship they may well have purchased a DJ or cocktail dress that will never be worn.

It is actually all these smaller costs that add up and add to the annoyance of a cancellation.

30th January and 11th February 12 night cruises to Madeira and Canary Islands from £499.

23rd February 2 night cruise to Brugge from £149.

All Select prices.

Bookable from 8am tomorrow.

These are great value to anyone who can take advantage for a cheap break - the Canaries ones are £42pppn !!

Does anyone know what will happen to the crew while Oriana is in for repair? I'm booked on the cruise to the Canaries in December and from a purely selfish point of view I'm wondering if the crew are going to be mega grumpy or happy to get a few extra weeks paid leave.

I'm also a little bit worried that the ship is going to break down and leave us stranded in the Canaries over Christmas. It wouldn't normally be a problem, but I really need to be home for Christmas this year. We were booked on Ventura for the same cruise last December and had to cancel just 2 days before sailing because a close relative was taken seriously ill and later died. Last Christmas was pretty grim and I really don't want anything to go wrong this year. Obviously I was not in the right frame of mind to think about the consequences of cancelling a cruise so close to departure last year but I'm now thinking how mean of P and O not to give us any loyalty points - they still got our fare after all and I'm also wondering if the tips we prepaid would have found their way to the crew or stayed in P and O's coffers.

From a woman’s point of view. How about all the new clothes and shoes that you need for a fifty night cruise. That’s 14 formal nights.

I do not dispute that essential maintenance needs to be carried out, but the compensation offered is ridiculously small.

We are on Oriana for the four night Christmas markets cruise in December and I have already bought new trousers, tops, shoes etc all of which I shall only wear on this and any future cruises. I do no live the sort of lifestyle at home or normal holidays which require formal attire.

So sorry for those who are bitterly disappointed.

I don't doubt this would be the case for some but I would hazard a guess that the majority of pax who had booked this have a fairly long history of cruising and already have a 'cruise wardrobe'. Also, don't forget that storage space is limited in most standard cabins, so you can only take so much!

Just because some ladies like an excuse to buy more shoes.... (hides behind sofa with tin hat on :D).

This is a situation where P&O's management set out a long work schedule and neglected to put into that schedule essential maintenance and as a result they were forced to pull it out of service to do repairs incurring more cost to the company than it would have cost to be on the safe side and schedule maintenance in advance and have black out day for those cruises.

Do you know that as fact as that's quite an allegation.

According to my agent today, when Oriana had dry dock last year, they tried to sort out issues with the internal plumbing and these have not worked. High numbers of complaints continue about plumbing issues. They had two options, wait for two years more until the earliest time that a cruise was not already scheduled or pull a cruise to try and sort things out. Neither were ideal but they've acted to sort sooner.

According to my agent today, when Oriana had dry dock last year, they tried to sort out issues with the internal plumbing and these have not worked. High numbers of complaints continue about plumbing issues. They had two options, wait for two years more until the earliest time that a cruise was not already scheduled or pull a cruise to try and sort things out. Neither were ideal but they've acted to sort sooner.

If that is true I am not surprised because we had severe water problems in our cabin in March 2014 when we had for the whole duration of the cruise black bits constantly in our tap water, had to buy and use bottled water to clean teeth. We also had intermittent brown water appear out of the shower which was disconcerting because you never knew when it was going to happen so showering was a problem. One morning came out of cabin and there was a polythene tunnel over the carpet and up the walls and roof panels missing and water pouring out. Constant complaints about our cabin fell on deaf hears and nothing was done. On our return we received a phone call from P&O and they admitted they had failed to provide us clean water in our cabin and that our cabin wasnt fit for purpose and without asking offered us a large amount of compensation.

Don’t be silly, since when have facts been needed on here to support an allegation against P&O in the knowledge they will not answer back?

You are not saying that people make things up to fit their prejudice against P&O. No that would never never happen.

Shock horror.

That cannot be true.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Any clothes specifically bought for the cruise that cannot be refunded can be claimed for in the incidental expenses claim.

So the new dinner suit that I purchased for our 2 cancelled Adonia cruises, due to sale, can be claimed? All I got back was our deposits, nothing else would be entertained, flights, hotels, let alone clothing, I even brought a new pair of thongs, sorry flip flops, at great expense from Aldi.

Well I will donate the Dinner suit to the Charity shop, won't need it on our replacement Princess cruises, wear what you like these days on formal nights, well any night really, judging by the posts on Princess section of CC.:halo:

So the new dinner suit that I purchased for our 2 cancelled Adonia cruises, due to sale, can be claimed? All I got back was our deposits, nothing else would be entertained, flights, hotels, let alone clothing, I even brought a new pair of thongs, sorry flip flops, at great expense from Aldi.

Well I will donate the Dinner suit to the Charity shop, won't need it on our replacement Princess cruises, wear what you like these days on formal nights, well any night really, judging by the posts on Princess section of CC.:halo:

did you remind them of their obligations under package holiday regulations .

You have 6 years to pursue a debt.

This is a proven fact because as we have all seen P&O were forced to pull the ship from service and sent it for urgent repairs and maintenance. The evidence is that a cruise has now been cancelled and the ship going for repairs.

This is a proven fact because as we have all seen P&O were forced to pull the ship from service and sent it for urgent repairs and maintenance. The evidence is that a cruise has now been cancelled and the ship going for repairs.

Sadly Brisband41, now its clear that you don't know what your're talking about. P&O have not been forced to pull the ship from service and P&O have not said that its either urgent or repairs.

P&O were very clear, they wanted to carry out some technical maintenance (plumbing improvements being mentioned) and the opportunity for a dry dock arose (i.e. we've identified the work, ordered the parts and now a dry dock is available). They could have waited until no cruise was scheduled but chose not too.

If it was urgent repairs, the ship would have been out of service the day it needed them. Likewise your suggestion that no essential maintenance was scheduled is daft. You can see maintenance being carried out day-in day-out on ship.

It annoys me that some on hear only want conspiracy theories and P&O bashing. If you really think that P&O are that negligent then go cruise with someone else.

As mentioned previously we are on Oriana december 21st to january 6th when it goes into dry dock. We have really been looking forward to this cruise as it will be our first christmas one. So we hope there will not be any problems to spoil it for any of the passengers.

Anyone else on this cruise have any comments?

My thoughts are that if P and O we're up front and said 'we have a problem with plumbing/propulsion/stabilisers' whatever it is, then there would be no conspiracy theories.....why the secrecy it does them no favours...

At the moment it is just a bunch of randoms on the internet speculating about the issue, which will not cause any issues for P&O.

However if they say anything the facts are confirmed and who knows where that will lead for P&O.

did you remind them of their obligations under package holiday regulations .

You have 6 years to pursue a debt.

You're entirely right, and not enough people are aware of their rights against travel companies under the Package Travel Regulations - or that they cover cruises.

Here's a useful guide:

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/package-travel-regulations

And if, as suggested, P&O choose not to compensate properly for genuine losses just use the online small claims procedure: https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money

It's very simple, not too time consuming, and P&O will almost certainly pay up in advance of any hearing to avoid publicity and costs.

Sadly Brisband41, now its clear that you don't know what your're talking about. P&O have not been forced to pull the ship from service and P&O have not said that its either urgent or repairs.

P&O were very clear, they wanted to carry out some technical maintenance (plumbing improvements being mentioned) and the opportunity for a dry dock arose (i.e. we've identified the work, ordered the parts and now a dry dock is available). They could have waited until no cruise was scheduled but chose not too.

If it was urgent repairs, the ship would have been out of service the day it needed them. Likewise your suggestion that no essential maintenance was scheduled is daft. You can see maintenance being carried out day-in day-out on ship.

It annoys me that some on hear only want conspiracy theories and P&O bashing. If you really think that P&O are that negligent then go cruise with someone else.

If as everyone is being led to believe that it is issues with plumbing amongst possibly others then obviously P&O have taken Oriana out of service as soon as practical with regards to date availability of dry dock to carry out the work. It is obvious the work is serious enough to do this at such short notice because if they did as you suggested and waited for next period where no cruises were scheduled it would be 2 years away and obviously work is something that has to be done sooner rather than later.

This poster lives in Australia and I think does not cruise with P&O UK.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app