Star Breeze Colon to Barbados 3/17/18 Questions

ramidon1

Can anyone offer any insight or recommendations on the logistics of sailing out of Colon, Panama? We will likely fly into Panama City the night before, arriving around 8:30PM. It appears to be about 1.5 hours between Panama City & Colon & I understand Colon is not so great...? Does anyone have any recommended areas or favorite hotels in Panama City? Would a particular area be easier considering that we are only there a very short time? Would like to try to find a day tour that might show us a bit of Panama City; possibly the Canal & then drop us in Colon if possible.....

A few years ago we flew into Panama City prior to our Wind Star cruise leaving out of Colon. We had several nights and chose to stay in Casco Viejo at Las Clementina's Hotel. It was a lovely boutique hotel. They arranged for a car to pick up the four of us from the airport (we arrived very late at night) and they also arranged a car to take us from the hotel to the port in Colon. That driver was wonderful and full of stories about the country and the Canal. He had worked for the US government at the Canal.

I don't know what time you plan to be on board but if you stayed in the old city and got up early you could walk the old town before heading to Colon. It was fascinating and is a UNESCO world heritage sight. It would give you some flavor of Panama City.

• 4 weeks later...
Can anyone offer any insight or recommendations on the logistics of sailing out of Colon, Panama? We will likely fly into Panama City the night before, arriving around 8:30PM. It appears to be about 1.5 hours between Panama City & Colon & I understand Colon is not so great...? Does anyone have any recommended areas or favorite hotels in Panama City? Would a particular area be easier considering that we are only there a very short time? Would like to try to find a day tour that might show us a bit of Panama City; possibly the Canal & then drop us in Colon if possible.....

Can't help you, but we will be on this sailing as second leg of B2B starting 3/10 from Puerto Caldera, CR - hope to see you on board.

We just finished our cruise in Colon last month and I can agree that it wasn't a town I would like to spend time in. Casco Viejo was awesome and felt very safe with great architecture, dining and places to visit. It was about an hour-hour and a half drive.

We used the Bristol Panama a couple of years ago on a Windstar cruise and found it very comfortable and convenient since it is the preferred Windstar hotel. We're taking this 3/17 cruise and chose to stay at the Bristol again. See you on the 17th!