Is Royal Caribbean about to setup there own privite island??

I just got sent this link to this press release from Royal Caribbean:

https://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-release/1348/royal-caribbean-international-announces-the-new-perfect-day-island-collection/

MIAMI, March 14, 2018 – Upping the ante on what it means to thrill and chill on vacation, Royal Caribbean International today unveiled the first details of the new Perfect Day Island Collection, a series of unrivaled private island destinations around the world.

The first in the collection, Perfect Day at CocoCay, Bahamas will boast a number of distinct experiences and iconic features, giving adventurous vacationers first-time experiences that will top any bucket list. From racing down the tallest and most thrilling waterslide in North America or riding the tide of the Caribbean’s largest wave pool, to taking in the highest view in The Bahamas from a helium balloon 450 feet in the air, unwinding at the largest freshwater pool in the Caribbean, or enjoying the perfect beach day, guests will have the power to create their perfect vacation day – no matter what that may look like.......

https://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-release/1348/royal-caribbean-international-announces-the-new-perfect-day-island-collection/

Here is the interesting bit:

Additional Perfect Day Island Collection destinations in Asia, Australia and Caribbean will be announced at a later date.

So in the next 3 - 5 year time (if not longer), are we going to see Royal Caribbean have a private island somewhere around Australia or in the South Pacific (A few people have been talking about places in Fiji)?? or even somewhere in Papua New Guinea?

If this does happen this might be a game changer....

Based on the semi-privatisation RCL have already done at Mystery Island I'm not a fan either. It just locks you into paying for more stuff from them, the same as onboard.

Where they go with the Caribbean is building their own amusements as well, but I'm not such a fan of end to end 'manufactured' stuff that's all the same.

Based on the semi-privatisation RCL have already done at Mystery Island I'm not a fan either. It just locks you into paying for more stuff from them, the same as onboard.

Where they go with the Caribbean is building their own amusements as well, but I'm not such a fan of end to end 'manufactured' stuff that's all the same.

The main reason I would want to see an island is if it is as undeveloped as possible.

I've been along the coast between Cooktown and Thursday Island and there are jaw droppingly beautiful islands all along there that would be absolutely destroyed by any kind of development.

If you were looking for a prime piece of tropical real estate I don't think you could go past Hinchinbrook Island. This is one of the most overlooked gems of the East Coast and I believe that the northern end of the island is private land.

May I ask why you say the semi privatisation of Mystery Island by RCL? Our visit a couple of weeks ago on the Golden Princess was no different to our visit last year of Voyager of the Seas.

Thanks,

Leigh

To me this all part of them trying to stop money leaving the ship. It is like when they try to ban non affiliated tour operators from entering ports they dock at:confused:. While there is a growing number of passengers who cruise solely for the experience of the ship a large number of passengers still like to have destinations to visit:cool:, and to be honest I don't think everyone will find themed park private islands that appealing especially when cruise ship already seem to have theme parks:o.

It would be OK if they purchased an island in the South Pacific and built a classy resort (people could stay their for holidays as how many times a week would a ship visit?) but I would like to see this as an Eco resort. Loverly pool, overwater bungalows, nice restaurant ect. No high rise building complexes, no worlds largest, fastest anything. No Micky mouse gimmicks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

May I ask why you say the semi privatisation of Mystery Island by RCL? Our visit a couple of weeks ago on the Golden Princess was no different to our visit last year of Voyager of the Seas.

The past couple of times there with them they have set up their own stalls, making bars and bringing across drinks and snacks to sell to the passengers while ashore - basically an extension of the ship and keeping passenger money going to the cruise line.

Yet unsurprisingly the 'complimentary' water for returning passengers they always used to bring had run out while there were long queues still waiting to leave the island.

It was never like that before. Does Princess do it as well now - or did RCL not do it when you were there?

The past couple of times there with them they have set up their own stalls, making bars and bringing across drinks and snacks to sell to the passengers while ashore - basically an extension of the ship and keeping passenger money going to the cruise line.

Yet unsurprisingly the 'complimentary' water for returning passengers they always used to bring had run out while there were long queues still waiting to leave the island.

It was never like that before. Does Princess do it as well now - or did RCL not do it when you were there?

I've just had a quick look at our photos of Mystery Island from last April and it looks as if they were all islander stalls. Just before heading back to the tender, they had staff handing out plastic cups of cold water. On the Golden it was the same. The bar on the other side of the island was run by islanders as was the coffee shop and the stall selling hot food. The beer being sold was the local Tusk beer and they had bags of snacks which we shad previously seen in Fiji and in Port Vila. The only staff working on the island were from shore excursions office and those handing out water and cold wet towels and those helping with the tenders.

We didn't buy anything but left some cash with the kids who were singing.

I certainly hope RCL or for that matter any of the cruise lines don't privatise any of the islands. It would put us off cruising there and change the whole culture of what cruising has been.

Leigh

I certainly hope RCL or for that matter any of the cruise lines don't privatise any of the islands. It would put us off cruising there and change the whole culture of what cruising has been.

Leigh

I agree. I didn't realise how blessed we were in Australia, with our beaches being public available to everyone, until I travelled overseas. I hope we never see a "Perfect Day Island Collection Destination" in Australia, nor on one of the beautiful natural unspoilt South Pacific islands.

I wouldn't like an island becoming private either. Although if they have a resort or something in one area of the island that offers the private type benefits with or without gimmicks, I wouldn't mind that either. I like having options so people would have the choice to do something on their own or do the ship's private island park and neither is to the detriment of the other.

I don't mind the idea of private islands, as long as it was done right.

We've done a Caribbean cruise on Disney out of Port Canaveral. All of their Bahamas and Caribbean cruises include a day at Castaway Cay, which is Disney's private island in the Bahamas - it's on a 99 year lease or something from the Bahamas. It's basically a tiny undeveloped island (Wikipedia tells me that only 55 of the 1000 acres are developed) where Disney have built a pier, and various facilities.

We loved it because of the relative lack of crowds, and that because it's a private DCL island, all you need to bring ashore is your cruise card. Food (BBQ lunch) is all included, as is access to all the facilities so you don't need to worry about cash or anything. They also have a kids area where you can sign your kids in (the kids club staff from your ship are there all day) and then hang out in the adults only area if you like.

So if RCL is planning something like this, I actually don't mind that idea.

We've done a Caribbean cruise on Disney out of Port Canaveral. All of their Bahamas and Caribbean cruises include a day at Castaway Cay, which is Disney's private island in the Bahamas - it's on a 99 year lease or something from the Bahamas. It's basically a tiny undeveloped island (Wikipedia tells me that only 55 of the 1000 acres are developed) where Disney have built a pier, and various facilities.

We loved it because of the relative lack of crowds, and that because it's a private DCL island, all you need to bring ashore is your cruise card. Food (BBQ lunch) is all included, as is access to all the facilities so you don't need to worry about cash or anything. They also have a kids area where you can sign your kids in (the kids club staff from your ship are there all day) and then hang out in the adults only area if you like.

That doesn't sound too bad but I would prefer if there was also access to the non park area of the island. That way, people could just go to a beach on their own if they wished.

When I was at Castaway, I didn't notice any fences or walls - I suspect you can just explore the island however you like, but most people seemed to stay close at one of the main beaches - from memory there was one large "family" beach where most people were, and one smaller "adults only" beach.

When I was at Castaway, I didn't notice any fences or walls - I suspect you can just explore the island however you like, but most people seemed to stay close at one of the main beaches - from memory there was one large "family" beach where most people were, and one smaller "adults only" beach.

Cool, that sounds alright.:D

I reckon it would be good. the only problem would be building a Dock. For the mega ships. It hasn't happened much this season but last year the mega ships not tendering at places like Mare; with tendering issues. I think they have fixed this as no complaints this season. had a friend do 2 Ovation cruises & didn't get to Mystery & Mare. Would be good if locals get some infurstructure & if RCL can commit 24/7/365. Not piss-off at the end of March....

I'm just wondering how is it any different to what is offered on board:confused:? Food, kids club and adult areas aren't those things already on the ship? Apart from beach access what did you find was the advantage of having these things on land vs on ship? :)

I've been to Disney's private island and loved it. Unfortunately, it started raining in the middle of the day when I was there. My family rented bikes and had a lot of fun. People can also snorkel and go out on kayaks and paddle boats. There are different areas for kids such as a waterpark area, teen area, and a family beach. They have ping pong and basketball. There is a special area for teens and another area for 18 and over. The lunch was free. All you needed was your room key to rent things like the bikes.

I think it's a great way to spend the day enjoying the beach. Although I like tours and excursions, I also enjoy relaxing for the day at a beautiful beach and walking around enjoying the scenery.

I'm just wondering how is it any different to what is offered on board:confused:? Food, kids club and adult areas aren't those things already on the ship? Apart from beach access what did you find was the advantage of having these things on land vs on ship? :)

Bigger and better rides and such would be my guess, and for the adults there would be the beach. This is why I like to have more options available than just a fun park and beach.:D

Well there's a lot more space for a start.

The food, well it's just something different, having a big BBQ cookout vs the bain maries in the ship buffet.

The kids get a lot more space in the land based kids club, with sand, playground equipment etc.

The beach was lovely. I normally hate the beach, but that was the nicest beach I've ever been to. They also have a couple of water slides just off the beach, plus there's snorkelling as well.

You can rent bikes and ride all over the island, or do stingray encounters etc.

So really, it's not super different to a beachy destination, except that there's no additional transport required, no additional fees (apart from shopping and bike etc rental), and it's all in one spot. Because Disney control it, there's no nickel and diming, and it's all kept very "nice" instead of in a public area. It's a little hard to explain but it's very popular. It was certainly one of my favourite experiences from our cruise on the Disney Fantasy.

Well there's a lot more space for a start.

The food, well it's just something different, having a big BBQ cookout vs the bain maries in the ship buffet.

The kids get a lot more space in the land based kids club, with sand, playground equipment etc.

The beach was lovely. I normally hate the beach, but that was the nicest beach I've ever been to. They also have a couple of water slides just off the beach, plus there's snorkelling as well.

You can rent bikes and ride all over the island, or do stingray encounters etc.

So really, it's not super different to a beachy destination, except that there's no additional transport required, no additional fees (apart from shopping and bike etc rental), and it's all in one spot. Because Disney control it, there's no nickel and diming, and it's all kept very "nice" instead of in a public area. It's a little hard to explain but it's very popular. It was certainly one of my favourite experiences from our cruise on the Disney Fantasy.

Certainly sounds nice if they do it that well. I think if they employed all islander staff as well that would be good for the island/region economy as well.

I have been on Half Moon Cay. It's Holland America's private island. we visited it when we were on the Carnival Liberty. I thought it was the most beautiful beach I had ever been to. I would go back I a flash. only problem was the number of deck chairs on the beach. those Americans love to sunbake

Sent from my SM-G965F using Forums mobile app