Post cruise - Lucerne with Viking questions

Cyber Kat

We will be doing a post cruise stay in Lucerne that we booked through Viking for the end of our Rhine Getaway. I'd love to hear from people who've done this how it works.

When do you have to leave the River cruise ship?

How do they get you from Basel to Lucerne?

How long does it take for that trip?

How do they get you from Lucerne to Zurich for the flight home (our air is booked through Viking as well)

What time did you have to leave the hotel - our flight is at 11:40am?

And how long did the trip take?

I'm an obsessed researcher. I like to know what to be prepared for so I can set my expectations at a reasonable level. I'm a high hopes person who likes to keep my expectations on the low side :cool:

Thanks for any info you can provide! I haven't seem much about this end of a Rhine cruise done through Viking.

we did this on our own

Car service from Basel to Lucerne-easy 70 minutes or so

Train from Lucerne to Zurich-train station in right in airport. about 70 minutes or so for this. It was direct service, but had a few stops.

You will love Lucerne-one of the most peaceful places we have traveled.

If they put you up at the BLU in Lucerne, it is very close to train station.

Since you booked Lucerne through Viking, I can answer a couple of your questions, although I saw Lucerne pre-cruise. It took about 45 minutes to get from the Zurich airport to Hotel Blu in Lucerne on a bus. From Lucerne, we were supposed to go to Basel on a bus. We still were on a bus, but because of low water we were taken to Breisach instead, so I can't tell you how long it would have taken to get to Basel.

Viking took good care of us. They will tell you what time they will take you from the hotel to the airport. They will give you plenty of time.

We did the pre cruise in Lucerne with Viking this year and have done a couple of Viking cruises so I'll try to help in case you don't get anything more pertinent.

All transfers will be on a regular sized bus. Very comfy and efficient. Both Basel to Lucerne and Lucerne to Zurich are about an hour +/-. Viking will normally try to get you to the airport about 3 hours prior to departure, so I'd plan on a 7am or so disembarkation.

BTW - Lucerne was our favorite city on this itinerary. Are you at the the Schweizerhof? It was spectacular.

Have a great time,

FM

We booked the same trip last year in mid-Nov including Lucerne. You will have a great time with no worries.

We will be doing a post cruise stay in Lucerne that we booked through Viking for the end of our Rhine Getaway. I'd love to hear from people who've done this how it works.

When do you have to leave the River cruise ship?

We left the ship around 9:00, with a bus tour of Basel as we left. We had a great guide with commentary throughout the bus ride. Ride was less then an hour. Only disappointment - not a lot of good views from the road of the country side.

How do they get you from Basel to Lucerne?

How long does it take for that trip?

How do they get you from Lucerne to Zurich for the flight home (our air is booked through Viking as well)

What time did you have to leave the hotel - our flight is at 11:40am?

And how long did the trip take?

For the ride back, there was ourselves and one other couple. We had a private Mercedes van drive us back. It took a little over an hour. I think we left around 7:45 for a 11:45 departure. Lot of extra time at Zurich airport.

I'm an obsessed researcher. I like to know what to be prepared for so I can set my expectations at a reasonable level. I'm a high hopes person who likes to keep my expectations on the low side :cool:

Thanks for any info you can provide! I haven't seem much about this end of a Rhine cruise done through Viking.

When we arrived at Lucerne, we stopped for a short time to see the Lion of Lucerne. Next we went on to the hotel, stayed at hotel Flora about a block from the covered bridge. Dropped bags off in a secured room before beginning a walking tour of Lucerne with the guide. Same tour guide that was on the bus. He did an amazing job. Tour ended after about 3 hours, we were starting to get very hungry and ready to be done. The rest of the time was on our own. Tried Cheese fondue for dinner - excellent. Went to the Rathouse for supper, right next to the river and between covered bridge and walking bridge. Was recommended by the Viking Rep. It was wonderful and not terribly expensive. I had vienna sausage with sauerkraut, did not know what real sauerkraut should taste like until we ate there. Definite recommend. We rarely eat at same place twice, but was going to have a late snack Sunday(our last day) only to find out it closed early on Sunday. Tried a second restaurant right past the walking bridge and found it lacking. Disappointments - Towers along wall are closed after Nov. 1st, no problem for you. Also not enough time, but a week wouldn't have been enough. Any questions please ask.

we did this on our own

Car service from Basel to Lucerne-easy 70 minutes or so

Train from Lucerne to Zurich-train station in right in airport. about 70 minutes or so for this. It was direct service, but had a few stops.

You will love Lucerne-one of the most peaceful places we have traveled.

If they put you up at the BLU in Lucerne, it is very close to train station.

Thanks! I'm really excited about our Lucerne extension! At the moment we are booked at the Hotel Flora, but I understand that can change. I understand that's near the Chapel Bridge.

Since you booked Lucerne through Viking, I can answer a couple of your questions, although I saw Lucerne pre-cruise. It took about 45 minutes to get from the Zurich airport to Hotel Blu in Lucerne on a bus. From Lucerne, we were supposed to go to Basel on a bus. We still were on a bus, but because of low water we were taken to Breisach instead, so I can't tell you how long it would have taken to get to Basel.

Viking took good care of us. They will tell you what time they will take you from the hotel to the airport. They will give you plenty of time.

That's good to know! We were originally on a flight that left at 10:15am from Zurich, but it had a plane change in Paris that had me concerned because it was only an hour & a half. We changed to a direct flight that lands in JFK instead of Newark, but I can live with that. It also leaves later - 11:40 so we won't be as rushed - I hope!

We did the pre cruise in Lucerne with Viking this year and have done a couple of Viking cruises so I'll try to help in case you don't get anything more pertinent.

All transfers will be on a regular sized bus. Very comfy and efficient. Both Basel to Lucerne and Lucerne to Zurich are about an hour +/-. Viking will normally try to get you to the airport about 3 hours prior to departure, so I'd plan on a 7am or so disembarkation.

BTW - Lucerne was our favorite city on this itinerary. Are you at the the Schweizerhof? It was spectacular.

Have a great time,

FM

So far we're at the Hotel Flora - but I've heard they could change that. I'm not as concerned about the hotel. I've just been hearing great things about Lucerne. We're thinking of doing Mt Pilatus.

We booked the same trip last year in mid-Nov including Lucerne. You will have a great time with no worries.

When we arrived at Lucerne, we stopped for a short time to see the Lion of Lucerne. Next we went on to the hotel, stayed at hotel Flora about a block from the covered bridge. Dropped bags off in a secured room before beginning a walking tour of Lucerne with the guide. Same tour guide that was on the bus. He did an amazing job. Tour ended after about 3 hours, we were starting to get very hungry and ready to be done. The rest of the time was on our own. Tried Cheese fondue for dinner - excellent. Went to the Rathouse for supper, right next to the river and between covered bridge and walking bridge. Was recommended by the Viking Rep. It was wonderful and not terribly expensive. I had vienna sausage with sauerkraut, did not know what real sauerkraut should taste like until we ate there. Definite recommend. We rarely eat at same place twice, but was going to have a late snack Sunday(our last day) only to find out it closed early on Sunday. Tried a second restaurant right past the walking bridge and found it lacking. Disappointments - Towers along wall are closed after Nov. 1st, no problem for you. Also not enough time, but a week wouldn't have been enough. Any questions please ask.

Awesome! Glad to hear that you could leave your luggage and that they did a walking tour. I was kind of hoping for a train - we're train people, but we're good with a bus.

Thanks for the tips about the restaurants. I was hoping for some good places to eat. I would love to do the cheese fondue, but my husband isn't into melted cheese :( Will definitely check out the Rathouse - sounds great.

How was the Hotel Flora? Sounds like this is where we'll be.

Awesome! Glad to hear that you could leave your luggage and that they did a walking tour. I was kind of hoping for a train - we're train people, but we're good with a bus.

Thanks for the tips about the restaurants. I was hoping for some good places to eat. I would love to do the cheese fondue, but my husband isn't into melted cheese :( Will definitely check out the Rathouse - sounds great.

How was the Hotel Flora? Sounds like this is where we'll be.

Hotel Flora was great. Best thing was the location. Just down the block is the river w/Chapel Bridge. Opposite corner is the crosswalk to train station or walk under the street where there is a sort of shopping mall. Grocery store under there is probably cheapest spot to buy Swiss chocolates and snacks.

When I researched the hotel, found three common complaints. One, a bar/night club emptied into the streets at about 2 in the morning and was loud, in Nov never heard a thing. 2nd was small rooms. We thought they were fine. We were not expecting a suite and were only in the room to sleep anyway. Who wants to spend time inside when you're in Switzerland. 3rd was poor A/C. Can't help you on that one, never needed it, but noticed a lot of hotels had the same complaint. My only disappointment (not really, just trying to find something to balance the review) was an average breakfast. It was free and I may have been spoiled from all the great food we had on the trip. Breakfast was not bad, just not great but it filled up you and there was plenty of it. Service was good, almost never used and rooms spotless. Comfortable mattresses.

We loved Lucerne. We have been there twice. It is a very expensive city - probably the most expensive city I have ever been to. We ordered 2 medium Pizzas, 2 beers and 2 soft drinks. Our tab was over $75. That being said, I was on vacation and the experience was great -- who cares about money. We did Mt Pilatus on one trip and Mt Titlus on another. I would have to give the nod to Mt Titlus as the more spectacular scenery. Engleberg is the village at its base. There is a small cheese factory in town that is an enjoyable experience. What ever you decide, Lucerne is a great place to see.

Hotel Flora was great. Best thing was the location. Just down the block is the river w/Chapel Bridge. Opposite corner is the crosswalk to train station or walk under the street where there is a sort of shopping mall. Grocery store under there is probably cheapest spot to buy Swiss chocolates and snacks.

When I researched the hotel, found three common complaints. One, a bar/night club emptied into the streets at about 2 in the morning and was loud, in Nov never heard a thing. 2nd was small rooms. We thought they were fine. We were not expecting a suite and were only in the room to sleep anyway. Who wants to spend time inside when you're in Switzerland. 3rd was poor A/C. Can't help you on that one, never needed it, but noticed a lot of hotels had the same complaint. My only disappointment (not really, just trying to find something to balance the review) was an average breakfast. It was free and I may have been spoiled from all the great food we had on the trip. Breakfast was not bad, just not great but it filled up you and there was plenty of it. Service was good, almost never used and rooms spotless. Comfortable mattresses.

Thanks for the review! I've read similar things. We'll be there in Aug, so I hope the A/c works. My A/C at home needs upgrading, so perhaps we'll feel right at home :p

Clean rooms and a comfortable bed is all I ask from a hotel. Those who cruise often, are used to small rooms :cool:

We loved Lucerne. We have been there twice. It is a very expensive city - probably the most expensive city I have ever been to. We ordered 2 medium Pizzas, 2 beers and 2 soft drinks. Our tab was over $75. That being said, I was on vacation and the experience was great -- who cares about money. We did Mt Pilatus on one trip and Mt Titlus on another. I would have to give the nod to Mt Titlus as the more spectacular scenery. Engleberg is the village at its base. There is a small cheese factory in town that is an enjoyable experience. What ever you decide, Lucerne is a great place to see.

Great - thanks! $75 - yikes! Guess we better make sure to save some money for Switzerland!

Does Titlius include the boat trip on the lake? That was one reason we were looking at Pilatus. Also I think I read that the Mt Titlus requires more cable car changes. I know Mt Pilatus has that cog railway and my husband wants to do that.

• 1 year later...