Disappointing Dinners

radiationman

We were on the Noordam Oct 2016 and found the food very uneven in terms of quality. Breakfast and (especially) lunch in the lido were excellent, but with the exception of one or two OK meals we found the dinners in the MDR very disappointing, and a couple of nights verging on the inedible. From memory we had more issues with the fish dishes in the MDR than the meat; we don't have any particular health issues or require a special diet but we found the fish dishes in the MDR extremely salty. Yet when we ate similar dishes in the Lido, they were fine. Anyway it didn't ruin the cruise and we're trying the same ship again in two weeks because it's a great itinerary, we got a great deal on a suite, we enjoy BB Kings and it's unlikely we'll starve!

Thanks for sharing. I keep reading posts like this on this board where it is suggested Lido dining quality is better than dining room quality. I appreciate your honesty since I haven't cruise on HAL in a couple years.

I can certainly see how "mushroom ravioli" in a cream sauce could appear gray. My better half normally won't have anything in a cream sauce and prefers Manhattan chowder over New England chowder for the same reason. Once she's backed into a corner and tries such dishes, however, she usually likes them. Some people refuse to have anything prepared in squid ink for a similar psychological color phobia. Not saying your ravioli wasn't good...just sayin"

I can certainly see how "mushroom ravioli" in a cream sauce could appear gray. My better half normally won't have anything in a cream sauce and prefers Manhattan chowder over New England chowder for the same reason. Once she's backed into a corner and tries such dishes, however, she usually likes them. Some people refuse to have anything prepared in squid ink for a similar psychological color phobia. Not saying your ravioli wasn't good...just sayin"

The bland plating was nothing compared to the gummy texture and lack of flavor. I had ordered it because the mushroom ravioli in cream sauce in the Pinnacle is one of my favorite dishes.

The bland plating was nothing compared to the gummy texture and lack of flavor. I had ordered it because the mushroom ravioli in cream sauce in the Pinnacle is one of my favorite dishes.

"Gummy" -- a word I would never want to have to use to describe food. Blech!

My personal "not as expected" dish was duck sausage gumbo. Turned out to be 3 or 4 small pieces of sausage in a clear broth....

And now a quick tidbit on that overlooked HAL demographic - 4 year old toddlers: The 4-year old in our group was disappointed and grouchy because the kid menu items took a bit longer to come out during dinner. As it turns out, we didn't order from the kids menu much afterwards as she loved the regular MDR offerings and was never "Hangry" :D

Ha! We had a kid like that at ny table on one of our cruises..would much rather have eaten the MDR food than the kids' menu

HAL is very willing to fix meals to kids' specifications-on one cruise I was cruising with a child who will only eat spaghetti with butter and he was very accommodated.

With all due respect.. you should probably know that the young man in question was a preemie and was hooked up to tubes of every sort for the first few months of his life...this has left him with sensory issues related to food.

He's now 17 and very healthy(thank goodness). He still is very picky but will eat a lot more things than he used to.Still, on a cruise ship, spaghetti with butter is a good go to food.

Then please, illuminate me -- how many times have you had gumbo in a clear broth? Or is "clear broth" "subjective"?

Thank you! I intended to post the same comment (I am from New Orleans). See post #2; said ersatz gumbo must be fleet wide.

We recently cruised On the Nieuw Amsterdam in November and thought the food was better than any cruise to date which includes celebrity blue, and Disney. I am gluten intolerant and I can’t even begin to tell you what a great job the did preparing my food. Also, if I ordered something medium rare it came medium rare. I had no “gray” food experience. The presentation was always on point; beautifully done. I will say that I didn’t like the lamb shank on the last night and they brought me prime rib instead... perfectly done... and pretty darn good for a cruise ship/ banquet meal. Again, this is not 5* dining... it’s a giant banquet... but very well done. IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree, the food on Hal has gone way down in past years. We have been on many Hal cruises over the last 25 years (4 star) and find the selections and taste in the dining room sad. Pinnacle consistently good. We have become fans of Regent and their food is the best we have ever had on a cruise ship. I guess you do get what you pay for.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Any and all comments related to food are subjective.

Facts are not subjective. By definition, a gumbo (Creole) is an okra pod, or by extension, a soup or stew THICKENED with okra or rice.

However, the interpretation of facts is often subjective.

Thank you! I intended to post the same comment (I am from New Orleans). See post #2; said ersatz gumbo must be fleet wide.

Living in NOLA myself, gumbo is something I'll never venture to order on board because I know it won't be right.

Same reason I don't order lobster. I hunted them for 20 years when I lived in the Keys, and I have my own way of cooking them. The way they serve it on board is disgusting to me.

Living in NOLA myself, gumbo is something I'll never venture to order on board because I know it won't be right.

Same reason I don't order lobster. I hunted them for 20 years when I lived in the Keys, and I have my own way of cooking them. The way they serve it on board is disgusting to me.

Consider the lesson learned.