Help me decide which cat! Dream 8A or 6A/B

tofubeast

Not a first time cruise, but our first time on DCL. We are going on the Dream 4 night cruise. Based on our budget, I can go with categories 8A or 6A/B. Help me choose!

We are a family of 3, our daughter will be 4 at time of sailing.

8A would be on 5th deck (not HA)...those 'mini suite' rooms (the ones with the wall). I like how the room has 2 big portholes. I realize that there is no split bathroom.

6A or 6B -- we've never had a veranda cabin when cruising. A little nervous with our daughter, but of course wouldn't let her out there unsupervised. So not a deal breaker.

What would you pick? Price differential is 40-60 more for veranda.

Thanks!

I'm more of a verandah kind of person. I enjoy the openness the door gives. As far as the concern with your daughter, agreed, being supervised... but also unless she can climb, you've got nothing to worry about. The verandah balcony has plexiglass inserts between each of the bars to keep little ones from slipping through. She'd have to climb a good 4.5 feet to fall overboard. The split bathroom is such a good design, I'd always recommend that over a smaller bathroom. just my opinion, but if the price is only 40-60 more, I'd say DEF do it!

If possible, I would recommend the 8C/B that has the large window porthole. We had this on our August cruise and it was awesome. The window gives you the feeling of being on the "verandah" but still in your room. You can also sit in the window which my kids loved.

We have a 8A booked next cruise after last two being veranda because DD12 totally loves the porthole seats and we actually didn't spend more than 3 hours outside on balcony on a 7 week cruise.

Your daughter can enjoy the porthole seats anytime without needing supervision so I think might be a lot more enjoyment time for her.

But if she still naps or goes to sleep a lot earlier than parents, the balcony would be nice for parents to sit outside and chat and sip something nice!

• 2 weeks later...

We had an 8A on our recent Fantasy cruise and we loved it. On our cruise before that we had a balcony but rarely used it. Our girls LOVED the big portholes to sit in. We'd definitely do another 8A.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We went with the 6B for this very reason!

Yep. I wouldn't cruise without a balcony. (ok, i would, but I wouldn't be as happy) BUT dd slept through anything this last trip. It was still nice to not to be stuck in the room while she napped. Or to eat a mickey bar while she slept/played with daddy inside. (she's 2, no mickey bar for her)

We were on Wonder, 5130, had a balcony, split bath and was the PERFECT location. I don't know the cat differences though, sorry.

DD loved the balcony and maybe i'm odd, but we had no problem with her out there 'alone'.

We love having a balcony to hang out on when DD is sleeping. DH is an early riser and he frequently went out and read while we slept in. At night we sat outside after DD fell asleep.

Another good point, when we found it very cold in the cabin, we opened the balcony door and let in some warm air.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We love having a balcony to hang out on when DD is sleeping. DH is an early riser and he frequently went out and read while we slept in. At night we sat outside after DD fell asleep.

Another good point, when we found it very cold in the cabin, we opened the balcony door and let in some warm air.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Please be aware that DCL requests that you leave the verandah doors closed (well, except for going in and out):

10ntetg.jpg