Petra in Jordan

Dressagelvr

It has been a lifelong dream of mine to visit this site. However, when looking for 2018 cruises, I can't find any that include a stop in Jordan.

I've searched RCL, MSC, Costa, and Princess.

I was hoping a departure from Dubai would work, but I just don't see it.

Is there something going on or am I just a ridiculously bad cruise searcher?

Aqaba is Jordan's only port, every ship that goes there allows for a full day trip to Petra. About 2 to 2.5 hr drive.

Both Thomson and Costa used to run weekly cruises out of Sharm el Sheikh to Red Sea ports, including Aqaba, and pretty-well any ship travelling the Red Sea included Aqaba.

Altho Jordan is very peaceful, it has problematic neighbours - particularly Syria of course, and Egypt.

Egypt is the krunch. Because of political unrest and the risk of terrorism, there are currently very few cruises which include Safaga (for Luxor) or Sharm el Sheikh, and I think none which include Port Sokhna or Port Said or Alexandria - all ports for Cairo.

Without those Egyptian ports, the Red Sea isn't worth cruising - so you're likely to find just a few (world cruise legs for instance) which transit from SE Asia, India and the Persian Gulf countries to the Mediterranean.

As well as those already mentioned, I believe HAL offers cruises from the Persian Gulf to the Med.

JB :)

• 1 month later...
Aqaba is Jordan's only port, every ship that goes there allows for a full day trip to Petra. About 2 to 2.5 hr drive.

Both Thomson and Costa used to run weekly cruises out of Sharm el Sheikh to Red Sea ports, including Aqaba, and pretty-well any ship travelling the Red Sea included Aqaba.

Altho Jordan is very peaceful, it has problematic neighbours - particularly Syria of course, and Egypt.

Egypt is the krunch. Because of political unrest and the risk of terrorism, there are currently very few cruises which include Safaga (for Luxor) or Sharm el Sheikh, and I think none which include Port Sokhna or Port Said or Alexandria - all ports for Cairo.

Without those Egyptian ports, the Red Sea isn't worth cruising - so you're likely to find just a few (world cruise legs for instance) which transit from SE Asia, India and the Persian Gulf countries to the Mediterranean.

As well as those already mentioned, I believe HAL offers cruises from the Persian Gulf to the Med.

Check out Vantage's Presidential 17 day cruise in Egypt for October 2018. It hits all the ports.

Check out Vantage's Presidential 17 day cruise in Egypt for October 2018. It hits all the ports.

Hi, Lynncarol

That's a Nile River cruise, .

It doesn't touch even Egypt's Red Sea ports, let alone Aqaba.;)

Hi John

I can be spacey at times but even so I realize that this particular cruise by Vantage doesn't visit Jordan. (We did an indep. land tour in Jordan for a week years ago).

My comment was in reference to the previous poster who implied that the port of Alexandria was no longer on cruise ship schedules.

Hi John

I can be spacey at times but even so I realize that this particular cruise by Vantage doesn't visit Jordan. (We did an indep. land tour in Jordan for a week years ago).

My comment was in reference to the previous poster who implied that the port of Alexandria was no longer on cruise ship schedules.

How the heck do they get a Nile river boat up to Alexandria?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It has been a lifelong dream of mine to visit this site. However, when looking for 2018 cruises, I can't find any that include a stop in Jordan.

Azamara goes to Petra (Aqaba).

Ok guys...this is not an advert for Vantage but...

The Nile River cruise is only a small part of that tour. Did you check out that trip online? It also included flights to other attractions, including Alexandria. Anyway, enough already. This is about Petra and I only brought in Egypt because of a previous post on this thread.

I am scratching my head. Assuming you are responding to JB, the cruise you list does NOT hit all the ports -- it goes up the Nile River, not up the Red Sea -- thus it does not stop at Safaga, Sharm el Sheikh, or Sokhna, nor does it go to Port Said (no great loss).

• 2 weeks later...

RCI's Mariner of the Seas, while be calling at Aquaba Jordan on its cruise from Dubai to Barcelona in 2018. Petra is one of my favorite spots.

Sent from my iPad using Forums