Queens Grill questions

longton

We are sailing on Cunard for the first time in January 2018, Southampton to Cape Town. We are in Queens Grill.

This is our third cruise. Our first cruise was with Seabourn (loved it), our second with Silversea (so,so).

A few questions:

How do we access the QG restaurant? Does someone check our pass at the door, or do we swipe the pass?

Can we make ice cubes in the room fridge, or do we just ask for them when we need them?

Can we take two suitcases each, probably around 40kg (90lbs)?

Many thanks.

Your butler will leave an ice bucket full of ice in your fridge every day. Your key card given to you at check in which you use to get into your suite and any purchases onboard is also useable in certain lifts by placing in a slot and then you can push buttons for decks where QG restuarant is located.

OK lets be realistic about the cases. Maximum you will be allowed is 23 kgs that's the max people are allowed to pick up now. Coming back from Cape Town by air I cannot imagine you will be allowed more the one 20 kgs bag but you should check with your airline. We are flying with Virgin in two weeks to Barbados and we are allowed two 23 kgs bags each but that is because we are flying Premium. Of course if you are business or first you will get that much more.

Peter and Jenny

Your key card is also useable in certain lifts by placing in a slot and then you can push buttons for decks where QG restuarant is located.

True on QE and QV but not QM2. On all ships, after the first day or so you will be recognised as being in the right place.

Thanks for the useful replies.

We are returning from Johannesburg and flying Emirates in business class so we can take 2 bags at 32 kg each. In Economy the allowance is 2 bags at 23 kg each.

We will have about 40 kg each in two bags, so I am assuming that Cunard will allow this.

We are sailing on Cunard for the first time in January 2018, Southampton to Cape Town. We are in Queens Grill.

This is our third cruise. Our first cruise was with Seabourn (loved it), our second with Silversea (so,so).

A few questions:

How do we access the QG restaurant? Does someone check our pass at the door, or do we swipe the pass?

Can we make ice cubes in the room fridge, or do we just ask for them when we need them?

Can we take two suitcases each, probably around 40kg (90lbs)?

Many thanks.

I'll try:

1) I'm presuming you're on the QM2. In that case you just "go" to the restaurant. If you're on the QV/QE your sea pass card gets you into the restaurant by inserting it into a slot in the elevator. This allows only Grills pax to access the floor the QG/PG rest. are located.The staff there actually has "pics" of you from your sea pass card, so they'll know you upon arrival. You'll also have a card on the table in your suite that you can take, but we found that unnecessary. Do go to lunch for 2 reasons: It's a nice way to start your trip & if you'd like to change your table, this would be the best time to make that choice. Also don't be afraid to venture "off menu". the standard menu is a "guide" to the excellent food that awaits you!

2) They brought us an ice bucket shortly after we got to our suite. You attendant & butler will introduce themselves pretty quickly upon arrival in your suite.

3) You can take as many suitcase as you'd like. If the cases are 90lb. each that could present some problems. If they are 90lb. total(which I assume they are)you are fine. If in fact they are 90lb. each, well you probably could toss the ship on your shoulders & carry it around with you! I think you're in for a splendid voyage.

Edited by keithm
additions

I'll try:

1) I'm presuming you're on the QM2. In that case you just "go" to the restaurant. If you're on the QV/QE your sea pass card gets you into the restaurant by inserting it into a slot in the elevator. This allows only Grills pax to access the floor the QG/PG rest. are located.The staff there actually has "pics" of you from your sea pass card, so they'll know you upon arrival. You'll also have a card on the table in your suite that you can take, but we found that unnecessary. Do go to lunch for 2 reasons: It's a nice way to start your trip & if you'd like to change your table, this would be the best time to make that choice. Also don't be afraid to venture "off menu". the standard menu is a "guide" to the excellent food that awaits you!

2) They brought us an ice bucket shortly after we got to our suite. You attendant & butler will introduce themselves pretty quickly upon arrival in your suite.

3) You can take as many suitcase as you'd like. If the cases are 90lb. each that could present some problems. If they are 90lb. total(which I assume they are)you are fine. If in fact they are 90lb. each, well you probably could toss the ship on your shoulders & carry it around with you! I think you're in for a splendid voyage.

Unless this varies ship by ship it certainly wasnt the case on QE recently there was no welcome on arrival in suite and assistant butler appeared 15-30 minutes after our arrival and the butler didnt appear until after 4pm.

Thanks!

Wonder if higher level suites get the better butlers??

I know that is done on other lines we have been on.

What ours did, which wasnt a lot but that was our choice, he did very well and was very nice. I think the butlers in the higher suites perhaps do not have so many suites to look after so perhaps are more exclusive and give more service if required. To be honest other than bring tea, orange juice and croissants every morning and our canapes every day we really had no need or nothing for him to do except for his usual every day services.

Thanks!

Wonder if higher level suites get the better butlers??

I know that is done on other lines we have been on.

Butlers have a cross section of suites to attend to. They can have a Q1 on the stern and a Q3 midships as happened to us last March. That's a lot of carpet to traverse all day

As to higher end suites getting a different level of service, our Q2 this summer had the same level of service as the 3 earlier on in the year. We have, over the years experienced most of the QG levels on Victoria and Elizabeth and have yet to come across a butler who has disappointed us.

Unless this varies ship by ship it certainly wasnt the case on QE recently there was no welcome on arrival in suite and assistant butler appeared 15-30 minutes after our arrival and the butler didnt appear until after 4pm.

Our butler did arrive about 30 min. after we did. The attendant came later in the PM. I'm sorry, but the time can vary.