All Things HALF MOON CAY !

trock

Just got back from my cruise on the Victory and I am really glad I booked the cabana. It was a nice place to store your stuff, you had plenty of shade plus the "goodies" were nice i.e. the food, snorkeling gear, and water mats. People were asking to rent the water mats since they cost $10 each. Just wish we had more time at HMC :-)

A viisit to HMC isn't complete without a cabana.

• 3 weeks later...
We are thinking of renting a cabana... we have 6 in our party, cabana says for 4.

How does that work?

There will be a fee for each of the extra people. Check on the Carnival excursions page for the amount.

4 is pretty crowded in the cabana. Perhaps a villa would work better.

Edited by CruiserBruce

There will be a fee for each of the extra people. Check on the Carnival excursions page for the amount.

4 is pretty crowded in the cabana. Perhaps a villa would work better.

Villa is out of the question. We are only renting a cabana for my Mother to get out of the sun and relax while we play on the beach/water. We didn't plan on staying in the cabana all 6 of us.

And I couldn't find anything for costs of more than 4.

We are staying 4 in one cabin, 2 in another cabin.

We are thinking of renting a cabana... we have 6 in our party, cabana says for 4.

How does that work?

I know of people that have had more then 4 people in a cabana. You just tell them at the excursion desk that you have 4 people (even if you have a few more). There is more than enough food and drink for 6 people (in my opinion). Especially if you all will not be in the cabana at one time - there will be enough room. Have fun!

I've never been to HMC but having been planning and reading for stop there next year. From what I have read the cabana will be fine if you are using for 6 and only telling Carnival 4. I don't think they care since they will only provide mats, snorkel gear and food for 4. You will just need to share amongst 6.

The only issue I can see is cabanas get priority for the tenders on the way to the island. So unless you are some other priority list only 4 of your party can early tender. Not sure if this would be a problem or not.

When is your cruise?

I know of people that have had more then 4 people in a cabana. You just tell them at the excursion desk that you have 4 people (even if you have a few more). There is more than enough food and drink for 6 people (in my opinion). Especially if you all will not be in the cabana at one time - there will be enough room. Have fun!

Having rented cabanas over a half a dozen times, I totally agree!!!

I've never been to HMC but having been planning and reading for stop there next year. From what I have read the cabana will be fine if you are using for 6 and only telling Carnival 4. I don't think they care since they will only provide mats, snorkel gear and food for 4. You will just need to share amongst 6.

The only issue I can see is cabanas get priority for the tenders on the way to the island. So unless you are some other priority list only 4 of your party can early tender. Not sure if this would be a problem or not.

When is your cruise?

cathyoo, If I remember correctly, you are sailing on the Splendor. When we were on the Splendor last August, all those that booked the oasis, cabanas, and villas, were instructed to meet in the El Morocco Lounge, and from there were led down to the tender. No one asked to see our tour (cabana) ticket, or questioned how many were in our party. They pretty much assume that if you are there, you belong there, so bring everyone in your party with you.

Having rented cabanas over a half a dozen times, I totally agree!!!

cathyoo, If I remember correctly, you are sailing on the Splendor. When we were on the Splendor last August, all those that booked the oasis, cabanas, and villas, were instructed to meet in the El Morocco Lounge, and from there were led down to the tender. No one asked to see our tour (cabana) ticket, or questioned how many were in our party. They pretty much assume that if you are there, you belong there, so bring everyone in your party with you.

Thanks, that's good to know. We rented two villas which should be for 16 but we are 22 right now. We have FTTF but if any others get added to our group I'll just tell to come along.

thanks again for your great review.

It's there parasailing in HMC? Taking my 9 year old daughter in December and was hoping to be able to parasail.

I don't believe they offer parasailing anymore, at least it wasn't offered when we were there in August. The Wave Runner excursion that they used to have wasn't offered either. :(

I don't believe they offer parasailing anymore, at least it wasn't offered when we were there in August. The Wave Runner excursion that they used to have wasn't offered either. :(

Thanks Jamman54!

Guess will have to do that on the next cruise. I know they have it in Nassau but we are already booked for the dolphin encounter.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Looking at the excursions on CCL website there is an excursion for biking around the island. I like to bike but on one review it was stated that the bikes were in bad shape. I am a female small person (5'1") can I get a bike this size and I am particular about my bikes. Has anyone gone on a bike ride. What were your experiences? I can't lay around all day. Need to explore.

It looks like the price on HAL for cabanas has dropped back down to 299...is that since the two story cabanas were build.

People voted with their pocketbooks. HAL was looking for easy money at $399.00. They weren't filling cabanas at those prices.

It seems like you really have to have a cabana on HMC. Unfortunately for my sailing the cabanas have been sold out for months. We will be there on Oct 27th and I am feeling really sad that we didnt get one:(. Can anyone tell us what other option there might be to just hang out or maybe snorkel? Is the snorkeling any good? Do they have wave runners? I would love any suggestion you may have.

Edited by LUVNICK

It seems like you really have to have a cabana on HMC. Unfortunately for my sailing the cabanas have been sold out for months. We will be there on Oct 27th and I am feeling really sad that we didnt get one:(. Can anyone tell us what other option there might be to just hang out or maybe snorkel? Is the snorkeling any good? Do they have wave runners? I would love any suggestion you may have.

Clamshells are available if you're just looking for shade. There are plenty of trees available, just drag your lounge chairs into the shade.

There's plenty to keep yourself occupied, so you won't be bored.

I keep checking on the price of the cabanas. I originally booked it at $399. When I noticed that they lowered the price to $299 I cancelled and rebooked. We are sailing January 3rd and many of the cabanas are not booked yet. If they lower the price again because they aren't selling I'll be calling them again.

I keep checking on the price of the cabanas. I originally booked it at $399. When I noticed that they lowered the price to $299 I cancelled and rebooked. We are sailing January 3rd and many of the cabanas are not booked yet. If they lower the price again because they aren't selling I'll be calling them again.

As the $299 price was the price for a number of years prior to the raise to $399, I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for them to drop below $299. That hasn't happened before, and as they don't have to sell them, I wouldn't be holding my breath for it to happen now.

As Bruce mentioned, $299.00 appears to be the breaking point. HAL has pretty much peaked at that price, when they started looking for some quick cash, they did an about face.

Very similar to their Pinnacle Grill experiment. They raised the price to $30.00 pp, shortly thereafter they reverted back to $25.00. The market will only bear so much, after that, the consumer will protest.

Just came back from HMC and was very happy with our cabana, #11. It was just me and my sister and we loaned out some of the snorkeling equipment and floaty mats to nearby friends.

While we were there, the hammocks in between the cabanas were all replaced. Gone are the flat, rigid hammocks; they were replaced by the ropey kind. Having seen some epic tumbles out of the flat, rigid hammocks on our ship's Serenity deck, I suspect this was done with safety in mind. :)

Luvnick, when the shuttle gave us a lift to the tendering area at the end of the day, he went the long way around past the crew area and the lagoon. There appeared to be waverunners (or Sea-doos or whatever) there.

To find the cost and what's included for a Cabana. The only one I found was from late 2011:

"$219.95. It included:

4 snorkel gear ($19/adult, $10/child)

4 beach mats, we only got 3 tho ($11.95 ea)

8 soda cans of your choice ($2.25 ea)

2 big bottles of water ($4 ea)

fruits, vegetables and dip (free)"

I'm sure the price went up, but has anything changed on what is included?

Does not really seem worth the cost.

To find the cost and what's included for a Cabana. The only one I found was from late 2011:

"$219.95. It included:

4 snorkel gear ($19/adult, $10/child)

4 beach mats, we only got 3 tho ($11.95 ea)

8 soda cans of your choice ($2.25 ea)

2 big bottles of water ($4 ea)

fruits, vegetables and dip (free)"

I'm sure the price went up, but has anything changed on what is included?

Does not really seem worth the cost.

First, which cruise line are you referring to? I believe the prices are still different on the two cruise lines.

Second, if you are just pricing the items provided, of course it doesn't appear to be a good deal. But what is the value of plush loungers, table and chairs, a/c on a warm day, your own personal space, plus many other items? Your place list doesn't close to considering the value.

Edited by CruiserBruce