Recommendations for hotel in Venice

Hollis

My husband and I are cruising out of Venice in September. We are going to spend 2 nights in Venice before the cruise. Can anyone recommend a convenient but not overly expensive hotel? I also need recommendations for hotels in Barcelona.

Thanks

What do you consider 'overly expensive' ? I mean, it's Venice !

Venice is very small so anywhere can be convenient. Usually people have excessive luggage so 'convenient' means being close to the pier. Can you easily manage your luggage over a bridge or onto a water bus?

If not, Piazzale Roma area might be a good choice. It's the last point of land travel in Venice so it's where taxis, buses, cars drop off passengers. It's also close to the pier. But you pay for the convenience. There are 2 hotels at PRoma ... Ca Doge and Santa Chiara. If you can manage a small bridge, there's Best Western Olimpia, Arlecchino, Sofitel.

This link provides hotel info. by 'bridges to cross'.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/bridges/

Also try http://www.venere.com/venice Enter your budget then drill down on an area. Look in tripadvisor.

You get more hotel for the money by staying in Mestre which is across the causeway from Venice, 10-15 minutes by bus or train and less than 2 E.

We stayed at the Hotel Olimpia for one night before a cruise. The hotel was easy and inexpensive to reach from the airport via the ATVO bus. We only had to walk across one small bridge with our luggage. It is located close to the water bus stop for easy travel to the major sites. We were very pleased with the room, the price, and the friendliness of the staff. There was free wifi and a wonderful breakfast. It was a treat to eat breakfast in the beautiful courtyard.

We like Hotel Locanda Salieri near Piazzale de Roma on quiet side canal. 5 mins walk to PdR or St Lucia station and vaporettos down Grand Canal. Great in house trattoria. Book direct via. hotel website to avoid paying middleman commissions.

We stayed for several nights after our cruise at the Hotel Antche Figure. It was located right on the Grand Canal opposite the main train station, and was also close to the port. It was very nicely appointed, and the staff was very friendly and helpful (for example, they offered to pick up our luggage for us, but since it was so close to the port we took care of the luggage ourselves). It was easy to use it as a base for exploring the city. The hotel was also more affordable than many hotels in Venice.

Thanks for the Venice hotel recommendations. I'll check them all out on some hotel websites.

I second the Best Western Olimpia Hotel - we were there for a few nights before and after our 2012 cruise, and it was fantastic! I ended up doing a review of the hotel on trip advisor.

We're hoping to return next year, and will definitely stay there again without a doubt.

Celine

I highly recommend hotel Fontana (3 min walk to P. San Marco). We took the Alilaguna Blue from the airport to the S. Zaccharia stop, didn't have any bridge/steps to cross, 3 min walk to the hotel. For the cruise terminal, we took the same Alilaguna Blue to Maritima, and then 5 min walk to the ship. We also got a 10% discount for paying cash.

On previous visits we saved money by staying in Mestre. First time that we splurged to stay in the city, and it was a wonderful experience.

For Barcelona, post your inquiry on the Spain Ports of Call forum.

I will that a popular hotel in Barcelona for cruisers seems to be the Hotel Continental. Stayed there with friends for a few nights a couple of years ago - they had stayed there before. My nickname for the place was the Pink Bordello - the rooms flocked wall paper and pink accessories and bedspread - it made me think of the Old West &*orehouses we'd see on the old movies :eek: And, the best was the "dresser" for your clothes was a Rubbermaid plastic tub of drawers… a peek from their website:

http://www.hotelcontinental.com/hotelcontinentalbarcelona/accommodation-en.html

I highly recommend hotel Fontana (3 min walk to P. San Marco). We took the Alilaguna Blue from the airport to the S. Zaccharia stop, didn't have any bridge/steps to cross, 3 min walk to the hotel. For the cruise terminal, we took the same Alilaguna Blue to Maritima, and then 5 min walk to the ship. We also got a 10% discount for paying cash.

On previous visits we saved money by staying in Mestre. First time that we splurged to stay in the city, and it was a wonderful experience.

For the Alilaguna Blue, is there a limit on luggage you can take? We are going to Venice in June 2016 before a cruise and would like to stay at the Hilton Molino Stucky Hotel. The Alilaguna Blue stops there. We will probably have 2 large suitcases, 2 carryons, a tote bag and a suit bag.

Thanks!

For the Alilaguna Blue, is there a limit on luggage you can take?

I remember the stop at the Hilton, right before the Maritima.

When buying the tickets, we were not asked about the luggage, so I'd imagine it doesn't matter (we were travelling only with 2 carryons, expandable tote bag and back pack -- we travel very light, with only one colour theme :D).

Best to check on their website.

I second the Best Western Olimpia Hotel - we were there for a few nights before and after our 2012 cruise, and it was fantastic! I ended up doing a review of the hotel on trip advisor.

We're hoping to return next year, and will definitely stay there again without

We stayed there a few years ago and will never stay there again. We got stuck with a double bed (not a queen, a double!) and one side was all the way up against the wall. Not all rooms were like that because our friends had a much better room, but we will not take that chance again. Splurged on the Ruzzini Palace Hotel the next time and loved it!

We have booked Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo in Sept. for 3 nights precruise. Our children stayed there on their honeymoon last year and loved it. It is a small boutique hotel, it has a courtyard and dining area for breakfast. It is off the beaten path a little in a neighborhood, but very close to a vaporetto stop. The owners are awesome--very helpful.

We found the cost to be reasonable--I believe it was around 180 E per night.

I might add---be careful to ask for an explanation of the bed sizes. They are different in Europe. We nearly got a french double, which is pretty small, I believe a little larger than a twin bed in US.

Edited by TinkBellaMom

We and several friends on our recommendatio have stayed at the Hotel Papadopoli near to bus terminal and railway station. From there you can walk or catch the water buses int the centre of the city. Much more fun, lower cost and excellent service.

Stayed at Hotel Villa Rosa a couple of times. Close to the train station and not far to pull your luggage along and up over THAT bridge.

Staying there again in September. Nice breakfast included in the price. Costing me about AUD $145 per night.